Wikipedia:Thanks for 4 million articles
The Wikimedia Foundation announced in a blog post on July 13, 2012 that the English Wikipedia reached the four million article milestone. The four millionth article was Izbat Al Burj, created by Meno25. This accomplishment was achieved by the efforts of hundreds of thousands of volunteers and generous donations from the public. It couldn't have been done without YOU.
In celebration of reaching four million articles, a number of people wish to express their thanks to others for their participation and help with the project.
- Everybody is encouraged to join in and thank those that they have appreciated.
The run up to 4 million articles was quite exciting and a number of people were watching Special:NewPages closely. Featured article writer Dr. Blofeld posted that today was the day to reach 4 million as he started creating articles on Turkish villages such as Liman, Hopa. As the number got closer (around 14:00, 13 July 2012 (UTC)), other FA writers joined in the push to reach the 4 million mark. Casliber started creating articles on shrubs like Grevillea evansiana (possibly in homage to the Knights who say Ni) Others created articles on highways with Floydian focusing on highways in Ontario like Ontario Highway 80 and Rschen7754 focusing on Idaho with articles like Idaho State Highway 29.
A number of people following the event, started posting updates at the village pump as the number of articles got nearer to 4 million. Kenrick95 was the that the article was Izbat Al Burj created by Meno25. Matthew Roth, the Global Communications Manager for the Wikimedia Foundation confirmed in a blog post that Izbat Al Burj was selected as the 4 millionth article, but noted that it's difficult to determine the exact 4 millionth article and noted several other articles that were created at about the same time. Mike Peel, Secretary of Wikimedia UK, made a similar announcement on the Wikimedia UK Blog and also noting Dr Blofeld's goal of reaching 4 million articles that day.
You can thank the people you appreciate by adding
*Thanks to <insert user name> for <insert reason>. ~~~~ to the list below.
- Thanks to Dr. Blofeld for his prolific article creation Ryan Vesey Review me!
- Thanks to all the editors who know quality is more important than quantity.
- I'd like to thank our FA article writers Dr. Blofeld, Casliber, Floydian and Rschen7754 for their push to get us to 4 million articles. And while I'm here, I'd also like to thank some others for making this project a better place.
- Thanks to Ryan Vesey and User:Worm That Turned for their help with new users
- Thanks to Penwatchdog for writing great articles
- Thanks to Mabdul for his help at WP:AFC
- Thanks to Sphilbrick and CambridgeBayWeather for their generous help to IP editors like me
- Thanks to Moonriddengirl for busting her butt, both as a volunteer and as a WMF employee
- And a BIG thanks to all the folks at the Wikimedia Foundation for keeping the place running
- Without the help of these generous people, and many more, this project would not be what it is today. Thanks everybody. 18.104.22.168 (talk) 23:15, 13 July 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks to Raul654, SandyGeorgia, Ian Rose, and all the others at Wikipedia:Featured Article Candidates for reminding us that Wikipedia is about quality, not quantity. Interchangeable 15:52, 14 July 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks to Jimbo for being our God-King. Dial (talk) 22:25, 14 July 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks to Borgx for showing us (Indonesian Wikipedians) how to find out which article is N-th article (Indonesian). Kenrick Talk 15:31, 20 July 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks to all the volunteers who spend time creating and creating content on Wikipedia. I'm incredibly proud of the work we do and the amazing artifact we've created. And, hey, we did have cake! --Maggie Dennis (WMF) (talk) 19:26, 20 July 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks to <insert user name> for <insert reason>. ~~~~