Wikipedia:Village pump (miscellaneous)
|policy, technical, or proposals pages, or – for assistance – at the help desk, rather than here, if at all appropriate. For general knowledge questions, please use the reference desk.The miscellaneous section of the village pump is used to post messages that do not fit into any other category. Please post on the|
|« Older discussions, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50|
- 1 New articles on narrow gauge railways
- 2 Wikipedia:Requested moves
- 3 Deletion of photo
- 4 Heavy metal music....RfC on whether the guitar solo should be mentioned in the 2nd paragraph of the Characteristics section
- 5 Heavy metal music....RfC on whether the lyrical themes section should identify the Parents Music Resource Center as the organization that criticized heavy metal lyrics
- 6 Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Improving Wikipedia#RfC: WikiProject name?
- 7 Gradual availability of VisualEditor for new users is now complete
- 8 Example news image wanted
- 9 Come see the New WikiProject Wikipedia!
- 10 Contacting socks off-Wikipedia
- 11 Introducing the Wikimedia public policy site
- 12 Get a grant to improve Wikimedia
- 13 Logo question
New articles on narrow gauge railways
I am looking for new Wikipedia articles on railways or in particular on narrow gauge railways. Are there any search engines, which can filter those that are let's say less than a month old? --NearEMPTiness (talk) 18:40, 20 August 2015 (UTC)
- Not exactly, but something like User:AlexNewArtBot/MedicineSearchResult (created by a bot) might work for you in the future. WhatamIdoing (talk) 17:15, 27 August 2015 (UTC)
Deletion of photo
Dhakuri is on the way to Pindari glacier(you have to reach Pindary by trek and Dhakuri is next stop when one trek from Loharkhet side.) Why my photo of Dhakuri is deleted from here.Pls explain me.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pindari_Glacier Thanks and regards. Sumita Roy Dutta (talk) 10:15, 31 August 2015 (UTC)
- This is not a good place to discuss content disputes. I have replied to your comments at Talk:Pindari Glacier. ―Mandruss ☎ 10:37, 31 August 2015 (UTC)
Heavy metal music....RfC on whether the guitar solo should be mentioned in the 2nd paragraph of the Characteristics section
There is an RfC on the Heavy metal music talk page regarding whether the guitar solo should be mentioned in the 2nd paragraph of the Characteristics section. To participate, see hereOnBeyondZebrax • TALK 20:46, 31 August 2015 (UTC)
Heavy metal music....RfC on whether the lyrical themes section should identify the Parents Music Resource Center as the organization that criticized heavy metal lyrics
There is an RfC on the Heavy metal music article talk page on whether the Lyrical themes section should identify the Parents Music Resource Center as the organization that criticized heavy metal lyrics for their allegedly misogynist and occult content. To participate, follow this link.OnBeyondZebrax • TALK 01:46, 1 September 2015 (UTC)
I started an RfC regarding the old WikiProject Wikipedia's move to Wikipedia:WikiProject Improving Wikipedia about a day ago, and seeing as only one other user has commented there, I've decided to come here to try to attract more community input. Everyone is welcome to voice their opinions there. CabbagePotato (talk) 06:20, 1 September 2015 (UTC)
- Just a note: I've closed the RfC since the original WikiProject Wikipedia has moved back to its original name, and related discussion about Tortle's WikiProject can be found at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Council. CabbagePotato (talk) 02:50, 3 September 2015 (UTC)
Gradual availability of VisualEditor for new users is now complete
Over the last few months, we have been slowly expanding the availability of VisualEditor as an option for editors. At first we ran an A/B test, and then a slow ramp-out for new accounts (A/B test announcement in May, proposal at WP:VPPR from June, note about it starting in August). This is now complete, which means that all accounts registered now will get the choice to use VisualEditor.
As always, if you have question or encounter problems, please feel free to reach out to us at Wikipedia:VisualEditor/Feedback.
Example news image wanted
Suggestions, please - I'm looking for an example of an iconic image, uploaded to Commons under an open licence, of a recent, unplanned, newsworthy event, to illustrate an article asking people to donate such images in future. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 16:53, 1 September 2015 (UTC)
- File:2015 Tianjin explosion - Crop.jpg seems like a prime candidate. --MASEM (t) 17:03, 1 September 2015 (UTC)
Come see the New WikiProject Wikipedia!
Contacting socks off-Wikipedia
- Between legal and CA this has happened on numerous occasions. If you have any specific examples I encourage you to email firstname.lastname@example.org with them. Jalexander--WMF 00:07, 2 September 2015 (UTC)
Introducing the Wikimedia public policy site
We are excited to introduce a new Wikimedia Public Policy site. The site includes resources and position statements on access, copyright, censorship, intermediary liability, and privacy. The site explains how good public policy supports the Wikimedia projects, editors, and mission.
Visit the public policy portal: https://policy.wikimedia.org/
(Sent with the Global message delivery system)
Get a grant to improve Wikimedia
Hi all, there's a new post out at the Wikimedia blog, titled "Innovation is welcome: apply for grants to improve Wikimedia," that I wanted to highlight. If you or a team of people have an idea that will improve a Wikimedia site, you can get a grant to cover certain costs. Check it out! Obligatory disclaimer: due to legal restrictions (I believe—please don't quote me on this), the WMF cannot fund content creation. Ed Erhart (WMF) (talk) 21:50, 3 September 2015 (UTC)
Is Wikipedia going to temporarily have a celebratory version of its logo on the day/week that the 5 millionth article is created? Personally, I think it's a good idea. Lets casual readers realize concretely the true size of this project. --Jakob (talk) aka Jakec 23:14, 3 September 2015 (UTC)
- That's traditional in Wikimedia projects, I believe. I'd go for it. Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 18:14, 4 September 2015 (UTC)
- Support - Definitely a major milestone worth at least some form of recognition. I don't see how a temporary celebratory logo could be intrusive. We could even have a Central Notice banner linking to some form of open letter from the community saying thanks to all the contributions and encouraging casual readers to join the project. (Just a thought.) Mz7 (talk) 18:20, 4 September 2015 (UTC)