|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the FAQ/Categories page.|
|the Wikipedia Help Project|
- 1 Editing "category" pages
- 2 New categories
- 3 Adding
- 4 Linking to categories without putting the article in the category
- 5 why the wikipedia can be edited??
- 6 Edit request from 184.108.40.206, 25 July 2011
- 7 Order of Categories on article pages
- 8 Edit request on 11 March 2012
- 9 Noticeboard
- 10 the Cs and Ps
- 11 Categories in common
- 12 Edit request on 29 April 2013
- 13 Proposal for Category of American novelists
- 14 Ghana Poetry Prize
- 15 Irrelevant information
- 16 definition of a given Category X is where?
- 17 Create a BOT to alphabetize and organize categories automatically
- 18 Why might a category list not be up to date?
Editing "category" pages
I'd like to know how to edit "Category" pages. How do I access the editable side of a "Category" page? It's surely not by clicking on, "Edit," at the top of the page and typing. User talk:Canihaveacookie, October 17, 2009, 9:32 p.m. UTC-5
- Try WT:Categories for discussion. Although a better place might be a WikiProject page for the topic to which the categories relate. --Kotniski (talk) 11:14, 1 December 2009 (UTC)
Could something on the following two topics be added to the page:
- Adding a category.
- Placing an article in a category.
Linking to categories without putting the article in the category
It can be useful to mention a category in a "See also" section without putting the article in that category. E.g., referencing subcategories from an article on a supercategory (e.g., referencing the category that groups players on a team in the article on the team.) What is the procedure? Lfstevens (talk) 06:01, 3 August 2010 (UTC)
- Put a colon before the Catergory namespace like [[:Category:Blah]] --RatnimSnave (talk) 19:56, 11 April 2011 (UTC)
why the wikipedia can be edited??
i thought this is a free encyclopedia??? though its a soft copy i dont think editing is proper here, maybe you mean revisions of such page coz when i was young we purchased encyclopedia though we did not used it often times still its a hardcopy of such right??? — Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 13:56, 25 May 2011 (UTC)
- Every version of a page in the page history is a revision. To make a new revision, you have to edit the page. It's the same terminology whether it's the Internet or books. However, your question is irrelevant to categories so should not be on this talk page. McLerristarr | Mclay1 14:34, 25 May 2011 (UTC)
Edit request from 18.104.22.168, 25 July 2011
|This edit request has been answered. Set the
may we request to effect the change from Bogo,Cebu to City of Bogo, Cebu Philippines and Categories:from Municipalities of the Philippines to Cities of the philippines 22.214.171.124 (talk) 10:39, 25 July 2011 (UTC)
- Partly done: I assume you're talking about the article Bogo, Cebu. I've changed the category per your request. However, the current title is consistent with Wikipedia's guideline on naming cities in the Philippines, WP:MOSPHIL. If you think there's a reason Bogo, Cebu should not follow the guideline, or that there's a problem with the guideline, please discuss at Wikipedia_talk:Naming_conventions_(geographic_names). Thanks, Adrian J. Hunter(talk•contribs) 13:07, 25 July 2011 (UTC)
Order of Categories on article pages
- Normally the most important ones first. If there's a category named after the subject of the article, that usually goes first of all. Where there's no reason to adopt any particular order, you can go alphabetically.--Kotniski (talk) 09:12, 14 November 2011 (UTC)
Edit request on 11 March 2012
|This edit request has been answered. Set the
- ✗ Not done You are likely requesting this edit on the wrong page! This is the discussion page for our FAQ. mabdul 13:13, 11 March 2012 (UTC)
Currently, category-related discussions tend to be spread out over the talkpages of WP:CFD; WP:CAT, WP:NCCAT; WP:CLS; and elsewhere. Awhile back, it seemed to me that having a category-related noticeboard might be nice, so I cobbled one together. Recently, some helpful person added a notice on WP:CAT about it. So at this point, I welcome others' thoughts on this. What do you think about it, and if positive, how and where do you think we should notify others of its existence? - jc37 06:59, 14 May 2012 (UTC)
the Cs and Ps
What does the 'C's and 'P's mean after the category names? Maybe each page of categories should have a line of text explaining this? — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 17:11, 15 May 2012 (UTC) --188.8.131.52 (talk) 21:41, 29 October 2012 (UTC)<small>Insert non-formatted text here</small> #REDIRECT [[ #REDIRECT [[Target page name]] ]]
Categories in common
Edit request on 29 April 2013
|This edit request has been answered. Set the
I worked for Flying Tiger Line (FTL), now a owned by FedEx, in the late 68-77 and we lost a DC-8-63 in Naha, Okinawa early 70's. If I have the time I will see if I can locate the info. Bgordski (talk) 23:44, 18 March 2014 (UTC)
A quick lookup on  40 McDonnell+Douglas+DC-8 Crashes] Maybe a reference is needed here.Bgordski (talk) 23:53, 18 March 2014 (UTC)
- Not done: please be more specific about what needs to be changed. :) ·Salvidrim!· ✉ 03:46, 29 April 2013 (UTC)
Proposal for Category of American novelists
In the category page for American novelists, the list of individual author articles is so long that a casual reader may think it is intended to be approximately complete. Therefore I have proposed  to change the description of the list of individual articles to "This list of individual authors is intended to assist the categorization process; it is not intended to be complete. For a list intended for use by the general public, see List_of_American_novelists ." I would appreciate comments on this proposal. Olorinish (talk) 12:18, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
Ghana Poetry Prize
The Ghana Poetry Prize in its maiden edition will award GH₵2000($1,000) to the winner at the Ghana Poetry Awards Night in September. In subsequent years, it is projected that the Prize will be increased.
The Ghana Poetry Prize shall be promoted through the Prestige, an anthology of the best one hundred poems that entered the competition. The maiden edition is opened to the world. the judges for the maiden edition includes ; professor Adams Bodomo, Professor S.K. Okleme, Dr Fredericka Dadson, Martin Egblewogbe and Rob Taylor Poetry Foundation Ghana Jahbuu (talk) 18:47, 9 May 2013 (UTC)Nana Agyemang Ofosu
This FAQ includes the words "PRIZREN ALBANIA," which appear to have no relevance whatsoever to the topic, and indeed were edited in in the most recent edit, deleting a large amount of relevant information. I have not been able to figure out how to revert the edit (does it require permission?), so I'm requesting that someone do so.
definition of a given Category X is where?
Where is the definition of a given Category X? For example, there are many Categories such as 'X University Faculty'. Does that Category include a professor who taught at X for 20 years but has just moved to University Y? Bo99 (talk) 02:08, 9 May 2014 (UTC)
Create a BOT to alphabetize and organize categories automatically
As someone who has been doing this manually for years, I hereby dutifully beg of anyone who is technically proficient and knows how to create and run a bot that will:
- Automatically sort all Categories on each article and category page alphabetically;
- Create a uniform system for where to place categories on each article and category page that commence with numbers, such as years of birth/death, centuries, and any category that starts with a number/numeral.
Please see the centralized discussion at Wikipedia:Bot requests/Archive 61#Create a BOT to alphabetize and organize categories automatically. Thank you, IZAK (talk) 08:57, 4 August 2014 (UTC)
Discussion re-opened at VPP
Please see Wikipedia:Village pump (policy)/Archive 114#Create a BOT to alphabetize and organize categories automatically. Thank you, IZAK (talk) 22:40, 5 August 2014 (UTC)
Tech help required to improve categories
Please see Wikipedia:Village pump (policy)#CatVisor and User:Paradoctor/CatVisor#Planned features if you are willing and able to assist this innovative WP project move along it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, IZAK (talk) 23:07, 12 August 2014 (UTC)
Why might a category list not be up to date?
I read through this FAQ but it is still not clear. WHY should there "sometimes" be a delay of several weeks even?? Surely there is something that can be done about it? Is it some bot that only runs every few weeks? In my case I have tagged this page as "Start"-Class and Top importance but it is not showing up in these lists: This is the article's talk page with the Sanitation project tag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Behavior_change_(public_health) It should show up in this category page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Start-Class_sanitation_articles and also in this category page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Top-importance_sanitation_articles