|Welcome to the Wikimedia New York City Chapter community discussion page! Check back here for conversations about meetups, special events and other topics relevant to the NYC community.|
|Threads older than 30 days may be archived.|
About the event log
@Jim.henderson: You have been looking over on-wiki event records at Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/Event archive. Some WM NYC chapter organizers have been talking about changing the way the chapter lists events. I wanted to propose a change and get your thoughts.
We do not currently have a place where all NYC-area events are listed. Part of the reason for this is some confusion about whether events need to be approved by a chapter committee before being listed here. Since this is a meetup/NYC page, and not necessarily a chapter event page, I would like to start listing any regional wiki event here on this page in chronological order by year. If beyond that, someone wants to sort the main list into other lists of "approved", "not approved", "editathon", "workshop", "registration required" or other categories, then they can, but to start I want to have a place where anyone can list anything without discussion. Here are some events that I would list -
- Physical Therapy Edit-a-thon @ Touro College, Tuesday April 4, 2017
- Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Columbia University/SIPA meetup April 2017
One of these was a private presentation to a group of 30 students in a class and the other was a private presentation of Wikipedia research at a University department meeting. I would like for anyone tracking metrics to have access to, for example, this record of the 30 students editing Wikipedia articles because this is of interest to groups including Wikimedia NYC, the education program, the medicine group, and others. Could I get comments from you about changing this event log to include all sorts of Wikipedia events?
- czar 18:16, 5 April 2017 (UTC)
I'd like to see all area events listed here (those WMNYC-sponsored and otherwise), but if the "event archive" page is being used for specific WMNYC purposes, then the solution might be to fork it
- czar Thanks - I really appreciate the feedback. The recent imagining has been to use this page as a log for WMNYC events, which means that many events in the area have not been logged. As you say, I would rather have a comprehensive list of every event which anyone wishes to share, then let any individual sort out in their own forked list elsewhere what they wish to count for their own purposes. Blue Rasberry (talk) 13:51, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- Then the question is, which comes first, the chicken or the egg? I'm more with czar's idea that the chapter events list stays where it is, since that's what the greater number of WMNYC members care about. From that we also fork off the long, simple, chronological list having pretty much all local events of Wiki significance, only loved by the most deeply involved. That's where next week's private Library Council meeting belongs, I figure, but it's a small question. Jim.henderson (talk) 16:26, 6 April 2017 (UTC)
- Even smaller for me now. Good weather has put me on wheels doing photography. I'll be busy with pictures all month at least, and hope my words of last month do not interfere with deciding this question properly. Jim.henderson (talk) 00:09, 29 April 2017 (UTC)
Two notice areas
I think this is where Wiki NYC is with things: @Shanluan: just added an event in Detroit to the main NYC event listing and @Jim.henderson: removed it. I think this is correct, but this is confusing because we had difficulty in the past establishing a best practice. I think there should be two event listings. One is at Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC where people post upcoming, local NYC, public events at Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/Header. For any event which is private or not local but still Wiki NYC, post those to the master log at Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/Event archive which is a chronological tally of all Wiki NYC events. Is there any reason why this system would not work for someone? What other needs do we need to meet? It is has been a long time coming to get to this point and we still need to confirm that this system works. Blue Rasberry (talk) 14:17, 6 June 2017 (UTC)
- Template:Meetup seems intended to list all major wikimeets in the world. We could put that on each current NYC event page, or a pointer in our header, or make a new intermediate-level list for our country or continent. Jim.henderson (talk) 14:41, 6 June 2017 (UTC)
June 2017 WikiWednesday?
- Great to see everyone! After leaving the picnic I discovered some hills that you can climb on the west side of the island. Not sure if you all knew about those, but they offer stunning views! Here's two that I snapped:
- Next year we might consider doing our picnic over there! :) — MusikAnimal talk 03:31, 10 July 2017 (UTC)
- It was pleasant seeing you all on such a beautiful day. I've never climbed the two hills; just biked around them. Must bring my tripod up there some day.
I'm game for a picnic at Picnic Point. Things that work against it include scarce shade, no old forts to illustrate my boring history lectures, and some members might think the walk from the ferry with supplies is long. Jim.henderson (talk) 18:08, 13 July 2017 (UTC)
RM discussion regarding "New York" and "New York State"
Talk:New York (disambiguation)#Requested move 7 July 2017 czar 05:03, 8 July 2017 (UTC)
Wikipedia:Meetup/Calendar but No NYC
I was trying to find the time for tomorrow's July 19 NYC MeetUp on the main MeetUp Calendar, but it is not there (nor are any of the other previous ones). I have no idea how to fix this, so sharing it here in case any of our more experienced members can do this to complete the circle with local NYC gatherings. Thanks! FULBERT (talk) 10:47, 18 July 2017 (UTC)