Wikus du Toit
|Wikus du Toit|
|Born||Johannes Lodewikus Du Toit
18 June 1972
|Occupation||Actor, Writer, Academic|
He was born in Bethal on 18 June 1972 and went on to study drama at the Tshwane University of Technology where he completed a Masters Degree in Cabaret. He has appeared in numerous Afrikaans and English stage shows, films and television programs. In 2010 his play Kaptein Geluk was shortlisted for the Nagtegaal Playwriting Award. He is currently a full time senior lecturer in Film Music and Composition at AFDA.
His professional career started in 1996 with Ses (Six), for which he won the Klein Karoo National Arts Festival's (KKNK) Best Newcomer award.
- In 2000 he was co-composer of the first Afrikaans musical, Antjie Somers. Antjie Somers won the Fleur de Cap in 2000 for Best Musical
- In 2001 he won the FNB Vita Award for the best new performer by a new male performer in El Grande de Coca-Cola
- In 2002 he won the FNB Vita Award for the best musical theatre male performer in play@risk
- In 2003 he won the Nagtegaal Scriptwriting Competition for his cabaret 10 gesprekke oor die man wat nie wou huil nie.
- A Drink in the Passage (2002) directed by Zola Maseko
- Stander (2003)
- A Case of Murder (2004)
- Semi-soet (2012)
- Proesstraat in which he was part of the permanent cast (2010)
- Erfsondes Afrikaans drama series for SABC 2
- Backstage the e.tv daily soap opera where is was the Musical Director from 2002-2005
Film Scores Composed
- Ses  (1996) Afrikaans cabaret about a contextualized 'modern' Creation-story
- Stilettos (1997) Afrikaans cabaret about faith healing.
- 10 Gesprekke oor die man wat nie wou huil nie  (2003). Award winning cabaret about the ten plagues set in a modern South African farm environment.
- smallchange (2004) Nominated cabaret written for and performed by Elzabé Zietsman 
- Sing (2008) Afrikaans black comedy thriller set in the French court during the baroque period.
- Kaptein Geluk (2009) Published play about abuse, relationships and personal growth.
- Sirkus (2013) Commissioned play about a man-eating circus that invades a small town.
- Roer Jou Voete (2015) 26 Episode Drama for Television broadcast on SABC3