17 December 1970 |
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Hair colour||Light brown|
|Measurements||(US) 33-24-35 ; (EU) 84-61-89|
|Dress size||(US) 6 ; (EU) 36|
|Manager||VIVA Model Management
DNA Model Management
Mega Model Agency
Stella Tennant (born 17 December 1970) is a British model. The granddaughter of Andrew Cavendish, 11th Duke of Devonshire and Deborah Mitford, one of the well-known aristocratic siblings the Mitford sisters, Tennant was born in Scotland and attended St Leonards School in St Andrews. Her parents are The Hon. Tobias William Tennant, son of the 2nd Baron Glenconner, and Lady Emma Cavendish.
In 1993, she attracted the attention of photographers such as Steven Meisel and Bruce Weber and soon achieved success as a fashion model, posing for magazines such as French, British and Italian Vogue as well as Harper's Bazaar and Numero.
Tennant was studying sculpture at the Winchester School of Art when she was "discovered". She sent photographs of herself to a high fashion magazine, and a friend introduced her to fashion writer Plum Sykes. She had recently had her nasal septum pierced, which was an unusual look for models at the time, and Sykes was taken aback.
"One key shoot she (Isabella Blow) did was photographer Steven Meisel's Anglo-Saxon Attitudes in 1993, informally known as the 'London babes' shoot. At a cost of around £80,000, it is still the most expensive shoot for British Vogue. Isabella Blow's brief was to find beautiful aristocratic English girls to inspire Meisel. The girls who made the final cut were Blow's cousin, Honor Fraser, the designer Bella Freud, Blow's new assistant Plum Sykes, and Tennant." During the Babes shoot, Issie told Tennant, "If I make you famous, I want a bottle of my favourite perfume.' A bottle of Fracas duly arrived".
Tennant has appeared on fashion runways for Shiatzy Chen, Chanel and is a muse of the designer Karl Lagerfeld. She has also appeared in numerous advertising campaigns, including Calvin Klein, Chanel, Hermès, and Burberry. In 2010, she starred in L.K.Bennett's new Spring Summer campaign photographed by Tim Walker.
Tennant married French photographer David Lasnet in her hometown of Oxnam, Scotland, on 22 June 1999. They have four children together (Marcel, born 1998; Cecily, born 2001; Jasmine, born 2003; and Iris, born 2005). The family lives near Duns, in the small village of Edrom in Berwickshire, in the Scottish Borders.
In 2009, Tennant worked with green lifestyle organisation Global Cool to promote using less energy at home. She made a video with them and became one of the faces of their Turn Up The Style, Turn Down The Heat campaign.
- "Model Profile - Stella Tennant". DNAmodels.com. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- "Model Profile - Stella Tennant". MegaModelAgency.com. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Colman, David (June 16, 1996). "Chanel's Upper-Class Face". New York Times. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Model Profile - Stella Tennant". NYMag. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Krupnick, Ellie (Oct 29, 2011). "Stella Tennant's Pierced Nose Covers Vogue Italia". Huffington Post. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Detmar Blow (2010-08-21). "Fatally flawed fashionista". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Stella Tennant's gilded talents" Retrieved 29 May 2015
- "Chanel S/S 13". Models.com. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Various Campaigns L.K. Bennett S/S 10". Models.com. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "2012 Olympics Closing Ceremony". Vogue (UK). Retrieved 11 Aug 2014.
- "Stella Tennant helps you Turn Up The Style, Turn Down The Heat". Global Cool. 2010-10-18. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- "Celebrities' open letter to Scotland – full text and list of signatories | Politics". theguardian.com. 2014-08-07. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
- Milligan, Lauren (12 June 2012). "Scottish Fashion Awards". Retrieved 14 August 2015.