|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|EP by Dream Theater|
|Released||September 15, 2009|
|Producer||John Petrucci & Mike Portnoy|
|Dream Theater chronology|
Wither is a single and EP by the progressive metal/rock band Dream Theater, released on September 15, 2009. It was their first EP since A Change of Seasons. The EP contains the album version of the song "Wither", an alternative version of "Wither" with vocals and piano only, a demo of "Wither" with John Petrucci on vocals, and a demo of "The Best of Times" with Mike Portnoy on vocals. It is the band's last official release with Portnoy, who left the band in September 2010. This is the only studio release without the Majesty symbol in its front cover.
It was released exclusively as a digital download and available from Internet music retailers, although some physical promotional copies were released to radio stations and are now in circulation on eBay.
The video shows the band on tour in support of the album Black Clouds & Silver Linings. Scenes are shown of the band playing live and as well as offstage events including meeting and greeting fans during their Progressive Nation Tour. Mikael Åkerfeldt of Opeth can be seen in the video alongside Mike Portnoy during the band interviews.
The concert venues in the video:
- Zénith de Lille - Lille, France (October 6, 2009)
- Ahoy Rotterdam – Rotterdam, Netherlands (October 7, 2009)
- O2 Apollo – Manchester, England (October 9, 2009)
- Wembley Arena – London, England (October 10, 2009)
"Wither" is a ballad written by the band's guitarist John Petrucci about the process that he is passing during the writing of the song. It is the third song on the band's tenth album, Black Clouds & Silver Linings and the shortest song on the album. The music starts quietly with an acoustic guitar before moving to a powerful tone.
|2.||"Wither" (piano version)||Petrucci||Petrucci, Jordan Rudess||5:08|
|3.||"Wither" (JP vocal demo)||Petrucci||Petrucci||5:26|
|4.||"The Best of Times" (MP vocal demo)||Mike Portnoy||John Myung, Petrucci, Portnoy, Rudess||13:05|
- James LaBrie – vocals
- John Myung – bass guitar
- John Petrucci – guitars, vocals on track 3
- Mike Portnoy – drums, vocals on track 4
- Jordan Rudess – keyboards
- "DREAM THEATER Releases 'Wither' EP - Sep. 14, 2009". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved November 14, 2010.
- "ROADRUNNER "Wither [Digital EP]" - Dream Theater". Roadrunner Records. Retrieved November 14, 2010.
- The concert venues in the Wither music video.http://www.jameslabrie.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=140.0