Images and Words
|Images and Words|
|Studio album by Dream Theater|
|Recorded||October–December 1991 at BearTracks Studios in Suffern, New York; The Hit Factory in New York City|
|Genre||Progressive metal, progressive rock|
|Dream Theater chronology|
|Singles from Images and Words|
Images and Words is the second studio album by American progressive metal/rock band Dream Theater, released in 1992 through Atco Records. It is the first Dream Theater release to feature James LaBrie on vocals. The album maintains its position as the band's most commercially successful studio album to date, and the song "Pull Me Under" has the distinction of being the only top 10 hit (radio or otherwise) the band has ever had. This particular song has also had more recent success as it has appeared in the 2008 video game Guitar Hero World Tour.
Although there is no title track on this album, the phrase "images and words" appears in the song "Wait for Sleep".
After Charlie Dominici's departure from the band, the band auditioned nearly 200 people across the nation before James LaBrie sent the band an audition tape. LaBrie was formerly in the Canadian glam metal band Winter Rose, but saw potential in the band, and thus decided to audition. After a short jam session, the band chose him as their lead singer, and he has manned the post ever since.
With LaBrie on board, the band was signed to a seven-album contract by Atco, and shortly after began recording their new album in late 1991. The lead single, "Pull Me Under", gained the band considerable commercial success with its airplay on MTV and radio, garnering them a top 10 hit on the radio charts. When the album was released, it sold at a steady pace, helped by their relentless touring across the world.
This album was originally going to be a double album, but Atco Records judged this too risky, so some songs got taken out of the album, and one of those songs, "A Change of Seasons", was re-recorded in 1995 and put into its own EP, which also contained some bonus live covers.
Images and Words was played in its entirety on several occasions during the European leg of the "Chaos in Motion" tour, in celebration of its 15th anniversary. It was performed on June 6, 2007 in Bonn, Germany, and was released as The International Fan Clubs CD 2007. On July 7, 2012, the twentieth anniversary of the album's release in 1992, Dream Theater performed three songs from Images and Words as the encore of their concert in Austin, Texas: "Pull Me Under", "Another Day", and "Metropolis—Part I" (in addition to "Surrounded", which was performed during the main set).
Upon release, the album was met with universal acclaim and many critics and fans cite this album as a landmark release for the progressive metal genre. The album later received an RIAA certification of gold, the band's only studio album to date to do so. On April 9, 2013, Images and Words won Loudwire's fan-voted March Metal Madness award for best metal album of all time.
The song "Under a Glass Moon" was awarded the 98th best guitar solo by Guitar World magazine. In October 2011, Images and Words was ranked number 7 on Guitar World magazine's top ten list of guitar albums of 1992.
- In 1991, James LaBrie appeared as a guest artist on "Life in Still Water" of Fates Warning's 1991 album Parallels. In the liner notes the band thanks "Dream Theatre"; Dream Theater later responded by thanking Fates Warning as "Fatez Warning" in the liner notes of Images and Words.
- "Take the Time" includes a sample from Frank Zappa's 1979 song "Dancin' Fool", specifically Zappa saying "Wait a minute...", as well as Kurtis Blow's 1980 song "Christmas Rappin'", in which Blow says "Hold it now..."
All music composed by Dream Theater, except "Wait for Sleep" by Kevin Moore.
|1.||"Pull Me Under"||Kevin Moore||8:14|
|2.||"Another Day"||John Petrucci||4:23|
|3.||"Take the Time"||Dream Theater||8:21|
|5.||"Metropolis—Part I: "The Miracle and the Sleeper""||Petrucci||9:32|
|6.||"Under a Glass Moon"||Petrucci||7:03|
|7.||"Wait for Sleep"||Moore||2:31|
|8.||"Learning to Live"||Myung||11:30|
- Dream Theater
- James LaBrie – lead vocals
- John Petrucci – guitar, background vocals
- Kevin Moore – keyboard
- John Myung – bass
- Mike Portnoy – drums, percussion, background vocals on "Pull Me Under"
- Additional musicians
- David Prater – mixing production
- Doug Oberkircher – engineering, mixing
- Steve Regina – engineering assistance
- Ted Jensen – mastering
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|1992||Billboard Top Heatseekers||2|
|1992||"Pull Me Under"||Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||10|
|1993||"Take the Time"||Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||29|
|1993||"Another Day"||Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||22|
- Images and Words, Dreamtheater.net
- Portnoy, Mike. "A change of Seasons in Images and Words". About Mike - FAQ. Mikeportnoy.com. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- Dream Theater kick off 2007/2008 World Tour with I&W anniversary performance
- "Dream Theater – Images And Words". Discogs. Retrieved 2013-11-.27
- Carter, Phil. "Images and Words - Dream Theater". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- Hartmann, Graham (2013-04-09). "Dream Theater's Images and Words" Wins March Metal Madness 2013". Loudwire. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- 100 Greatest Guitar Solos
- Grassi, Tony. "Photo Gallery: The Top 10 Guitar Albums of 1992". GuitarWorld.com. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- "American album certifications – Dream Theater – Images and Words". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- "Images and Words - Dream Theater | Awards". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2013-11-27.