Once in a LIVEtime
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Once in a LIVEtime|
Cover art by Storm Thorgerson
|Live album by Dream Theater|
|Released||October 27, 1998|
|Recorded||June 25, 1998 - Le Bataclan, Paris, France|
|Genre||Progressive metal, progressive rock|
|Dream Theater chronology|
Once in a LIVEtime is a live double album by progressive metal band Dream Theater, released in 1998. It is their first full-length live album, and their second live release. It was produced and recorded by Kevin Shirley during the European leg of the Touring into Infinity world tour, at the Bataclan theater in Paris.
The album cover, designed by Storm Thorgerson, shows an overhead view of the ancient Roman theatre in Orange, France set into a head of a monk. It is one of the four Dream Theater albums (When Dream and Day Unite, Falling Into Infinity and Dream Theater are the others) not to feature the band's word mark on the cover, due to Thorgerson not wanting to use fonts created by others.
All music composed by Dream Theater except where noted.
|1.||"The Crimson Sunrise"||(instrumental)||3:56|
|3.||"Puppies on Acid"||(instrumental)||1:24|
|4.||"Just Let Me Breathe"||Portnoy||5:53|
|6.||"Take the Time"||Dream Theater||12:20|
|7.||"Derek Sherinian Piano Solo" (music: Derek Sherinian)||(instrumental)||1:54|
|8.||"Lines in the Sand"||Petrucci||13:13|
|10.||"The Darkest of Winters"||(instrumental)||3:17|
|11.||"Ytse Jam" (music: Petrucci, John Myung, Kevin Moore, Portnoy)||(instrumental)||4:09|
|12.||"Mike Portnoy Drum Solo/Ytse Jam(Continued)" (music: Portnoy)||(instrumental)||6:59|
|1.||"Trial of Tears"||Myung||14:11|
|3.||"Take Away My Pain"||Petrucci||6:16|
|4.||"Caught In A Web"||James LaBrie, Petrucci||5:16|
|7.||"John Petrucci Guitar Solo" (music: Petrucci)||(instrumental)||8:06|
|8.||"Pull Me Under"||Moore||8:15|
|9.||"Metropolis—Part I: "The Miracle and the Sleeper""||Petrucci||6:16|
|10.||"Learning to Live"||Myung||4:13|
|11.||"The Crimson Sunset"||Portnoy||3:49|
Covers and tributes
Throughout the album, parts of songs originally recorded by other artists are played by the band.
- The segue from "Just Let Me Breathe" into "Voices" features John Petrucci playing the first half of John Williams' "Force Theme" from Star Wars.
- The ending of "Take the Time" contains the solo from Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Freebird" and the main riff Led Zeppelin's "Moby Dick."
- "Derek Sherinian Piano Solo" contains portions "Platt Opus" by Platypus (a progressive rock supergroup to which Sherinian and John Myung were members).
- Before the beginning of "Trial of Tears", and at the end of the song, Petrucci plays the famous five tone motif from the film Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The opening of the same song contains portions of the Rush songs "Xanadu" and "The Trees" played by Mike Portnoy.
- "Peruvian Skies" contains portions of Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar" and Metallica's "Enter Sandman".
- "John Petrucci Guitar Solo" contains portions of Liquid Tension Experiment's "Paradigm Shift" and Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee."
- James LaBrie - vocals
- John Myung - bass
- John Petrucci - guitars, backing vocals
- Mike Portnoy - drums, backing vocals
- Derek Sherinian - keyboards
- Once in a LIVEtime - #157
- Once in a LIVEtime - #59
- Prato, Greg (2011). "Once in a LIVEtime - Dream Theater | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 3 August 2011.