|Directed by||Porter Gale, Laleh Soomekh|
Jorge Daaboul, MD
Stanford University, Department of Art & Art History
Kristi Bruce (now Jim Ambrose) and Howard Devore tell their stories. Jorge Daaboul, former Director of Pediatric Endocrinology at Children's Hospital Oakland (Calif.) and present Medical Director of Pediatric Endocrinology/Diabetes & Metabolism at Florida Hospital for Children, provides a clinician's perspective. Kristi's parents, Alice and John, discuss their experience raising a child born with a variation of sex anatomy.
Widely praised, XXXY received a number of awards including the 2001 Student Academy Award for Best Documentary, and the Student Award for Best Documentary at the 6th Annual Palm Springs International Festival of Short Films. The film was recommended viewing for the PlanetOut.com Second Queer Short Film Festival, and went on to screen at more than a dozen national and international film festivals.
Winston Wilde, Professor of Human Sexuality and Behavioral Sciences at Santa Monica College called the movie, "the finest film on the issues of intersex Americans, and an indispensable tool for instructors of Human Sexuality, Gender Identity, and Social Psychology." Filmmaker Magazine called XXXY "essential filmmaking... The film’s stripped down quality — talking heads, the occasional shot of a childhood home, or Kristi on a bike — means there’s nothing to interfere with the pair’s stories; the impact is profound."
- Gold Medal, Best Documentary - 2001 Student Academy Awards
- Finalist - PlanetOut.com Gay & Lesbian Online Movie Awards
- Jury Award Winner - New York Exposition of Short Film and Video
- Best Student Documentary Award - Palm Springs Shorts Film Festival
- Honorable Mention - Directors Guild of America
- Honorable Mention - Making Waves Film Festival
- Honoree - Louisville Film and Video Festival
- Honoree - San Francisco Gay and Lesbian Intl. Film Festival
- Honoree - Western Psychological Association
- Screened at more than a dozen national and international film festivals
- "Laleh Soomekh".
- XXXY (2000) (HD), Interface Project, released 2000.
- Jim Ambrose, Interface Project.
- XXXY (2000), New York Times, 2010.
- Winners Announced and Finalists Selected for Student Academy Awards, Student Academy Awards, June 10, 2001.
- ShortFest Awards Archive, Palm Springs International Festival of Short Films, 2000.
- PlanetOut.com’s Second Queer Short Film Festival, PlanetOut Inc., June 8, 2001.
- XXXY, Berkeley Media, 2000.
- A New Era for Intersex Rights, The New Yorker, December 30, 2013.