Xirka Ġieħ ir-Repubblika
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Xirka Ġieħ ir-Repubblika|
|Awarded by Malta|
|Motto||"Għall-Ġid tal-Maltin" (for the benefit of the Maltese)|
|Awarded for||exceptional merit in the service of Malta or, humanity as a whole|
|Head of the Order||President of Malta|
|Next (higher)||Companions of Honour of the National Order of Merit|
|Next (lower)||Companion of the National Order of Merit|
Ribbon bar of the order
The Xirka Ġieħ ir-Repubblika is a society of honour that offers membership to those who have demonstrated exceptional merit in the service of Malta or of humanity. Its motto is Għall-Ġid tal-Maltin ('For the Benefit of the Maltese').
The Xirka is limited to twenty members. With the exception of honorary members, the number of new members may not exceed three persons for every two years. Once the maximum number of members has been met, a new member cannot be appointed until a vacancy occurs.
Maltese nationals and distinguished citizens of other countries may be appointed as honorary members of the Xirka.
Members and honorary members are legally entitled to have the initials "S.G." (Sieħeb il-Ġieħ) placed after their names.
The Badge of the Order, an enameled representation of La Valletta's Bartizan, is surrounded by a white band with golden inscriptions. The order's motto appears at the top and its name, "Ġieħ ir-Repubblika" at the bottom. The whole is surrounded by a gold and green wreath of laurel leaves. Additionally, hanging over a golden dove resting on a golden band is the order's s date of establishment: 1975.
The breast-star of the Order has the same design as the badge, but resting on a radiating golden sun.
The ribbon of the Order is red with two white borders.
Notable honorary members
- Queen Elizabeth II, S.Ġ. 23.11.05
- Queen Sofia of Spain, S.Ġ. 25.11.09
- Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, S.G. 05.12.75 (revoked 26.08.11)
- Giovanni Leone, President of Italy, S.G. 06.12.75
- Li Xiannian, President of the People's Republic of China, S.G. 22.11.84
- Kim Il-sung, President of North Korea S.G. 01.08.85
- José Manuel Barroso, S.G. 10.10.94
- President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, of Italy, S.G. 19.05.05
- President Vaira Vike-Freiberga, of Latvia, S.G. 19.06.06
- Ingrid Rüütel, wife of Arnold Rüütel, President of Estonia, S.G. 01.10.03
- Imants Freibergs, husband of Vaira Vike-Freiberga, S.G. 16.02.04
- Fotini Papadopoulou, wife of Tassos Papadopoulos (President of Cyprus), S.G. 17.02.05
- Kateryna Yushchenko, wife of Viktor Yushchenko, President of Ukraine, S.G. 09.07.08
- Maria Alves Da Silva Cavaco Silva, wife of Aníbal Cavaco Silva, President of Portugal, S.G. 12.11.08
- Maria Kaczyńska, First Lady of Poland S.G. 26.01.09
- Zorka Parvanova, wife of Georgi Parvanov, President of Bulgaria, S.Ġ. 20.10.09
- Maria Băsescu, wife of Traian Băsescu, President of Romania, S.Ġ. 30.06.10
- Günter Verheugen, S.G. 17.03.04
- George Iacovou, Cypriot Minister of Foreign Affairs, S.G. 17.02.05
- "Amendment Rules for Honours, Awards and Decorations, 2009". Laws of Malta. Ministry of Justice, Culture and Local Government. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
- "Malta strips Gaddafi of his honours". Times of Malta. timesofmalta.com.
Prime Minister website :