Yarra Junction, Victoria
|Population||2,549 (2016 census)|
|Elevation||152 m (499 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Yarra Ranges|
Yarra Junction is a town in Victoria, Australia, 55 km (34 mi) east from Melbourne's central business district. It sits at the junction of the Yarra and Little Yarra Rivers. Its local government area is the Shire of Yarra Ranges. At the 2016 census, Yarra Junction had a population of 2,549. Yarra Junction is a small town full of bakeries and entertainment. Yarra Junction has great pubs.
The Post Office opened on 20 November 1901, a week after the opening of the Yarra Junction railway station as part of the railway line to Warburton. Between 1913 and 1945, Yarra Junction was the junction station for the 3-foot (914 mm) gauge Powelltown Tramway. The railway, and the station, closed on 1 August 1965. The station building was constructed in 1888 at Lilydale railway station, but was relocated to Yarra Junction in 1914, following the construction of a new station building at Lilydale. The former station now houses the Upper Yarra Museum.
Yarra Junction has five schools, Upper Yarra Secondary College, Yarra Junction Primary School, St Joseph's Primary School and the Little Yarra Steiner School. It is also home to the Cire Community School (previously called Yarra Valley Community School), an independent school for students for whom mainstream schooling has not been successful.
The town has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Yarra Valley Mountain District Football League. Its most famous product was former Richmond premiership ruckman Jack Dyer, also known as Captain Blood, who grew up in the town before moving to Melbourne in his late teens for school.
- "2016 Census QuickStats Yarra Junction". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 2008-04-11
- "Warburton Line". Vicsig. Retrieved 2017-10-15.
- "Upper Yarra Museum". Culture Victoria. Creative Victoria. Retrieved 2017-10-15.
- "About Us". Upper Yarra Valley Museum. Retrieved 2017-10-15.
- "Australian places" entry for Yarra Junction
- Little Yarra Steiner School
- Upper Yarra Secondary College
- Yarra Junction Primary School