Theatrical release poster
|Written by||Subha (story & dialogue)|
|Music by||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Edited by||Sreekar Prasad|
|Distributed by||UTV Motion Pictures|
Yatchan is an 2015 Indian Tamil action comedy film co written, co-produced and directed by Vishnuvardhan. The film was produced by Siddharth Roy Kapur under UTV Motion Pictures. The film features Arya, Kreshna, Swati Reddy and Deepa Sannidhi in the leading roles. The film received mixed reviews from the critics and was a flop at the box office.
- Arya as 'Thoothkudi' Chinna
- Kreshna as 'Pazhni' Karthik
- Deepa Sannidhi as Shwetha
- Swati Reddy as Deepa
- Adil Hussain as Selvam/Vetri
- Y Gee Mahendra
- Thambi Ramaiah as Thangamani aka 'Sotta' Mani
- RJ Balaji as Chandru
- Five Star Krishna as Logu
- Ponvannan as Durai
- Stunt Silva as Kailasam
- Azhagam Perumal as Kreshna's father
- Yogi Babu
- Sendrayan as Mark
- Aarthi guest appearance in song "Kaakaponnu"
- S J Surya as himself (guest appearance)
- Gautham Menon as himself (guest appearance)
- Venkat Prabhu as himself (guest appearance)
- Vishnuvardhan as himself (guest appearance)
- Om Prakash as himself (guest appearance)
- Premgi Amaren as himself (guest appearance
In December 2013, Vishnuvardhan announced that he was scripting an action romantic-comedy film featuring his brother Kreshna along with Arya in the lead roles. The story of the film, written by writer duo Subha, is based on a novel of the same name that the pair had written. The film was subsequently launched on 14 April 2014, with the cast and crew of the film announced at the launch event. Vishnuvardhan besides directing, also decided to produce the film in association with UTV Motion Pictures.
In May 2014, Kannada actress Deepa Sannidhi was signed up as the pair of Arya, while Swathi Reddy was chosen as the second female lead, with the actress stating that she had "a strong, supportive character". RJ Balaji stated in June that he had shot for the film for two days in Chennai, while director S J Surya too agreed to perform a guest role, shooting for three days in October. Adil Hussain was signed for an important role, making his Tamil film debut, who said his role was "versatile, layered and has a lot of grey shades" while adding that the story was "amazingly complex yet gripping". Y Gee Mahendra was given the role of a politician, with the actor stating that his character played an "important role in the unfurling of events in the film".
|Soundtrack album by Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|Producer||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Yuvan Shankar Raja chronology|
Yuvan Shankar Raja has composed five songs with lyrics written by Pa Vijay.The soundtrack received positive reviews from critics. Behindwoods rated the album 3 out of 5 stars stating "The Hit combo returns for another winner "
|1.||"Parapara"||Pa Vijay||Vijay Yesudas, Ranjith||3:24|
|2.||"Konjalaai"||Pa Vijay||Yuvan Shankar Raja, Tanvi Shah||4:01|
|3.||"Kaaka Ponnu"||Pa Vijay||Anthony Dasan, Priyadarshini, Yuvan Shankar Raja||3:05|
|4.||"Innum Enna"||Pa Vijay||Yuvan Shankar Raja||3:30|
|5.||"Champion"||Pa Vijay||Rabbit Mac, Sheezay from Psycho Unit||2:53|
Malini Mannath of New Indian Express wrote "Yatchan, a promising scenario in the first half, is a let down in the second half". M Suganth of Times of India wrote "Yatchan's failing is that despite moments that click, it fails to come together as a whole. The wildness of the tone makes it hard for us to take things seriously or care for the characters". Rediff rated 2 out of 5 and mentioned "The unexciting screenplay, coupled with the lacklustre performances, make Yatchan an ordinary fare". Behindwoods rated 2.5 out of 5 and wrote "Yatchan is not a film that might put a smile on your face when you leave the cinema hall but at the same time it is not a film that would make you regret either. Certainly it has some highpoints. It would have been great if it was consistently entertaining and edgy". Moviecrow wrote "Yatchan is poorly directed with uninspiring performances and slipshod screenplay".
- "Vishnuvardhan starts his next project – `Yatchan`". sify.com. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "Vshnuvardhan's next with Arya and Krishna | Tamil Cinema News › KollyInsider". kollyinsider.com. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "Arya – Vishnuvardhan's next, Yatchan launched". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "UTV joins with Vishnuvardhan for 'Yatchan' – The Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- Kannada girl Deepa Sannidhi for Arya – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (18 May 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-20.
- Swati to romance Kreshna in 'Yatchan' – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (8 July 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-20.
- Not just a village belle. The Hindu (16 August 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-20.
- RJ-actor Balaji to Wait and Watch. The New Indian Express (24 June 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-20.
- Suryah makes a special appearance in Yatchan – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (25 October 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-20.
- ‘I would love to play krishna’. Deccanchronicle.com (28 August 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-20.
- Vishnuvardhan impresses Y Gee Mahendra – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (31 December 2014). Retrieved on 2015-09-20.
- "Yatchan: Hotchpotch of mistaken identities – New Indian Express". New Indian Express. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- "Yatchan Movie review – Times of India". Times of India. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- "Review: Yatchan is monotonous". Rediff. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- Yatchan (aka) Yatchan review. Behindwoods.com (11 September 2015). Retrieved on 2015-09-20.
- 'Yatchan Review – Test of Endurance' Tamil Movie, Music Reviews and News. Moviecrow.com. Retrieved on 20 September 2015.