In New Zealand, Year 9 is the ninth year of compulsory education, and the first year of secondary education. Children entering Year Nine are generally aged between 12.5 and 14. Year Nine pupils are educated in secondary schools or area schools.
In England and Wales, Year Nine is the ninth year after Reception. It is the ninth full year of compulsory education, with children being admitted who are aged 13 before 1 September in any given academic year. It is also the year in which pupils are formally assessed against National Curriculum levels. With effect from 2009, National Curriculum Tests are no longer compulsory in this year group. Year Nine is usually the third year of Secondary school and was previously known as the 'third year' or 'third form'. Some schools in the UK (especially grammar schools and private schools) still refer to 'year 9' as 'third year'. In most schools in England and Wales, it is also the final year of Key Stage 3. Year 9 pupils are usually aged between 13 and 14 years old. Pupils usually either choose or start their options for their GCSE qualifications in Year 9.
- "Cost/Benefit Analysis Relating to the Implementation of a Common School Starting Age and Associated Nomenclature by 1 January 2010" (PDF). Atelier Learning Solutions Pty Ltd. Retrieved 10 January 2009.
- "School years and levels". Team-up website. Ministry of Education. Retrieved 10 January 2009.
- "Types of schools". Team-up website. Ministry of Education. Retrieved 10 January 2009.
- "The secondary curriculum". National Curriculum website. Qualifications and Curriculum Authority. Retrieved 10 January 2009.
- "National Curriculum teacher assessments and key stage tests". Directgov website. Retrieved 10 January 2009.
- "Major reforms to school accountability including an end to compulsory national tests for fourteen-year-olds. More support in Year Seven to help children make the jump to secondary school. Ed Balls announces new 'school report cards'". Press Release. Department for Children, Schools and Families. Retrieved 11 January 2009.
- "The Education (Northern Ireland) Order 2006". Retrieved January 2009. Check date values in:
| Year Nine