Moncada with the Boston Red Sox in 2016
|Chicago White Sox – No. 10|
|Second baseman / Third baseman|
|Born: May 27, 1995|
|September 2, 2016, for the Boston Red Sox|
|MLB statistics |
(through June 9, 2019)
|Runs batted in||123|
Yoan Manuel Moncada Olivera (born May 27, 1995) is a Cuban professional baseball second baseman and third baseman for the Chicago White Sox of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played for the Boston Red Sox.
Moncada made his debut for Cienfuegos of the Cuban National Series in 2012. In his two years with Cienfuegos he hit .277/.388/.380 with four home runs and 21 stolen bases. Moncada left Cuba in June 2014 with permission of the Cuban government to pursue a career in Major League Baseball (MLB). Before signing with the Red Sox, Moncada was a highly sought after Cuban free agent. He was seen as a generational, five-tool talent, being compared to the likes of Robinson Cano.
On February 23, 2015, the Boston Red Sox reportedly agreed to terms with Moncada, for a signing bonus of $31.5 million. The contract was finalized on March 12. He made his professional debut with the Greenville Drive of the Class A South Atlantic League on May 18. In the winter of 2015, he was consistently cited as one of the top prospects in the Red Sox system.
Entering the 2016 season, MLB.com ranked Moncada as the 7th best prospect in Major League Baseball.
Boston Red Sox
Moncada was called up and made his major league debut on September 2, 2016 against the Oakland Athletics. In his first plate appearance, he walked and subsequently scored a run. He earned his first major league hit the following day. Moncada finished the 2016 MLB season with a .211 batting average with 1 RBI after going 4-19.
Chicago White Sox
Moncada began the 2017 season with the Charlotte Knights of the Class AAA International League. On July 19, 2017, he was called up after the trade of Todd Frazier to the New York Yankees. Later that day, he made his Chicago White Sox debut against the Los Angeles Dodgers. He worked a walk in his first at bat against Kenta Maeda.
On July 26, 2017, Moncada hit his first career major league home run off of Jake Arrieta of the Chicago Cubs. On August 25, he was placed on the 10-day disabled list due to shin issues. He played 54 games in 2017, finishing year with a .231 batting average, 8 home runs, and 22 RBI.
In 2018, Moncada played 149 games, finishing with a .235 batting average, 32 doubles, 17 home runs, 61 RBI, and struck out an MLB-leading 217 times. He had the lowest fielding percentage among major league second basemen, at .963.In 2018 Yoan Moncada posted a franchise record for the most strikeouts by a single player in a season with 217. His 97 wRC+, however, indicated that his season was largely average.
- "Yoan Moncada: the New Cuban Baseball Wonder Boy?". oncubamagazine.com. Retrieved February 23, 2015.
- "Infield prospect Moncada leaves Cuba". Major League Baseball. Retrieved February 23, 2015.
- "Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada cleared for free agency - ESPN". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 23, 2015.
- "Red Sox land Cuban IF prospect Moncada". Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "Red Sox Sign Cuban Prospect Yoan Moncada To Minor League Contract (Photo)". March 13, 2015. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "Red Sox prospect Yoan Moncada debuts in Greenville". Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "2016 Prospect Watch". MLB.com. MLB. Retrieved April 16, 2016.
- "Yoan Moncada Register Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved October 24, 2016.
- Merkin, Scott (December 6, 2016). "White Sox get Moncada, 3 others for Sale". MLB.com. Retrieved December 6, 2016.
- Merkin, Scott (July 19, 2017). "White Sox stacked for future; Moncada up". MLB.com. Retrieved July 19, 2017.
- Adler, David. "Yoan Moncada goes on DL". MLB. Retrieved August 25, 2017.
- Major League Leaderboards » 2018 » Second Basemen » Fielding Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball