You Must Be Joking! (1965 film)
|You Must Be Joking!|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Michael Winner|
|Produced by||Charles H. Schneer|
|Screenplay by||Alan Hackney|
from a story by Michael Winner
|Music by||Laurie Johnson|
|Edited by||Bernard Gribble|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures Corporation (UK)|
|3 August 1965 (London)|
Four British soldiers - Sergeant Major McGregor (complete with kilt and bearskin), Captain Tabasco, father of nine Sergeant Clegg, Sergeant Mansfield - and United States Air Force Lieutenant Morton have their initiative tested in a scavenger hunt, set for them by a British Army psychologist, Major Foskett (Terry-Thomas). They are instructed to obtain six symbols of the British way of life. The reward for the winner is to be fast-tracked for promotion and a ten-day, all-expenses-paid trip around the world for two. Among the feats to be accomplished within 48 hours are escaping from a maze, retrieving a rare rose and the mascot from a Rolls-Royce motorcar, and procurement of a lock of hair and an autograph from a popular French female singer. The final challenge involves the famous Lutine bell from the Underwriting Room of Lloyd's of London. Because of complaints in the past, if any of them get into trouble, the authorities will deny everything. They are ordered to wear civilian clothes and leave behind all their money.
- Michael Callan - Lieutenant Tim Morton
- Lionel Jeffries - Sergeant Major McGregor
- Denholm Elliott - Captain Tabasco
- Wilfrid Hyde-White - General Lockwood
- Bernard Cribbins - Sergeant Clegg
- Terry-Thomas - Major Foskett
- James Robertson Justice - Librarian
- Gabriella Licudi - Annabelle Nash
- Leslie Phillips - Young husband
- Gwendolyn Watts - Young wife
- Patricia Viterbo - Sylvie Tarnet
- Lee Montague - Staff Sergeant Mansfield
- Irene Handl - Elderly Woman
- Richard Wattis - Parkins
- Miles Malleson - Salesman
- Clive Dunn - Doorman
- Tracy Reed - Poppy Pennington
- James Villiers - Bill Simpson
- Graham Stark - McGregor's Suez comrade
- Ronald Howard - Cecil
- Arthur Lowe - Husband
- Joan Benham - Wife
- Lance Percival - Shifty Man
- Peter Bull - Ferocious Man in Library
- Peter Barkworth - Recording Studio Manager
- Norman Vaughan - Norman Stone
- Jon Pertwee - Greyhound Storeman
- Peter Gilmore - Soldier
- Dave Watts keyboards - Ricky Ticky Taylor Pop Star
- TV Guide called it, " Lunacy and laughs galore, with director Winner's gimmicky style much in evidence."
- Hal Erickson wrote in The New York Times, " Director Michael Winner was still in his "mad mod" period when he lensed the wacky goings-on of You Must be Joking? His Death Wish pictures of the 1970s were in 1965 as remote as another galaxy."
- "You Must Be Joking! | BFI | BFI". Explore.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- "You Must Be Joking! Review". Movies.tvguide.com. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- "You-Must-Be-Joking- - Trailer - Cast - Showtimes". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
|This article related to a British comedy film of the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|