Yuri Andreyevich Smirnov
Dr. Smirnov was born in the U.S.S.R. in 1923, and, after finishing college, he joined the army. After the Second World War he left the army and was admitted to the Institute of Oriental Studies of the USSR Academy of Sciences in linguistics, where he was primarily interested in the Punjabi language, on which he later wrote his doctoral thesis. After getting his Ph.D., Dr. Smirnov visited India in 1985 as a linguist, where he continued to study languages. His interest in the Saraiki language led him to learn some of it from immigrants from the region where it is spoken. In 1986 he presented a report of his research in Patiala University, which published the report. The head of the Punjabi department, Dr. Sirbinder Singh, declared Dr. Smirnov's research on compound sentences in Punjabi to be extraordinary, and praised it as an important addition to the field of Punjabi grammar, etymology, and syntax. The Indian Daily Tribune also praised Dr. Smirnov's work on the Punjabi language. During that visit, Dr. Smirnov gave extensive lectures to the university students at Panjab University in Chandigarh. In 1970, Dr. Smirnov published The Lahndi Language, a book on the Saraiki language in Russian, which was in the year of 1975 translated into English and published in Moscow. In 1978, Dr. Smirnov was awarded a doctorate of literature. His thesis paper was called “Theoretical Discoveries in Punjabi Language”. In addition to this work, Dr. Smirnov worked on the theoretical and linguistic problems in the Indo-Aryan languages. Dr. Smirnov is considered to be a specialist in Saraiki, Dogri, Punjabi, and Rajasthani languages.
- Smirnov U.A., The Composite Sentence (Compound and Complex Sentences), Main Problems, Panjab University, Chandigarh, 1966.
- Smirnov U.A., The Lahndi Language (“Язык ленди”), Moscow, 1970 (in Russian).
- Smirnow U.A., Discovery of One More Tone in Punjabi and of Pharyngealization of the Known Falling Tone, – «Parkh», vol. XI. Panjab University, Chandigarh (India), 1973.
- Smirnov U.A., The Lahndi Language, Moscow, 1975.
- Smirnov U.A., Basic Grammatical Features of the Dogri Language, – «Nations of Asia and Africa», № 2, 1975 (in Russian).
- Smirnov U.A., Punjabi Grammar, Moscow, 1976 (in Russian).
U.A. Smirnov, The Lahndi Language: Page 11-12 (edition: 2006). Publisher: Saraiki Adbi Board (Regd), Multan (Pakistan).
|This article on a Russian linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|