|Institutions||University of Missouri
New Mexico State University
University of Connecticut
Xi'an Jiaotong University
|Alma mater||University of Connecticut
Xi'an Jiaotong University
|Known for||Heat transfer|
|Notable awards||AAAS Fellow, 2015
University of Missouri Chancellor's Award for Outstanding Research and Creative Activity (2010)
ASME Fellow (2007)
ONR Young Investigator Award (2002)
Yuwen Zhang (simplified Chinese: 张玉文; traditional Chinese: 張玉文) is an American professor of mechanical engineering. He is currently a James C. Dowell Professor and the Chairman of the Department of Mechanical Aerospace Engineering at the University of Missouri, Columbia, MO.
Education and Career
Yuwen Zhang received his Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Connecticut in 1998. Before joining the faculty at the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering in the University of Missouri (MU) in 2003, he was a faculty member in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM.
Yuwen Zhang's research interests are in the areas of thermal/fluid sciences, advanced materials processing, phase change heat transfer and heat pipes, inverse heat transfer problems, ultrafast ultra-intense laser materials processing, heat transfer in energy systems, and micro- and nanoscale heat transfer. He has published five books, five book chapters, over 270 journal papers and more than 160 conference papers.
Yuwen Zhang is the Co-Editor-in-Chief for two international journals: Frontiers in Heat and Mass Transfer (FHMT) and Frontiers in Heat Pipes (FHP), as well as editorial board member for eight other journals. As a Fellow of ASME, he was the Chair (2012-2014) and Vice Chair (2009-2012) of the K-15 Committee on Transport Phenomena in Manufacturing and Materials Processing of the ASME Heat Transfer Division. As an Associate Fellow of AIAA, he was a Member of the AIAA Thermophysics Technical Committee (2008–2011). He is also Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and member of American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), Directed Energy Professional Society (DEPS), and Combustion Institute. In these capacities, he has served as track chair and session chairs for numerous national and international conferences.
Honors and Awards
- Young Investigator Award, Office of Naval Research (2002; one of 26 awarded nationally in all fields)
- Computational Research Award, Department of Mechanical Engineering in New Mexico State University (2003)
- Faculty Fellow Award,College of Engineering in University of Missouri (2007).
- Associate Fellow of American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) (2008).
- Fellow of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)(2007).
- Changjiang Scholars Program Chair Professorship, Ministry of Education of China (2008).
- Missouri Honor Senior Faculty Research Award,College of Engineering in University of Missouri (2010).
- Chancellor's Award for Outstanding Research and Creative Activity, University of Missouri (2010).
- Certificate of Distinguished Service, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), 2011
- James C. Dowell Professorship, College of Engineering, University of Missouri, 2012-
- Certificate of Appreciation for Service as K-15 Committee Chair, ASME Heat Transfer Division, 2014.
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Sciences (AAAS), 2015.
- Zhang, Y., and He, Y.L., 2016, Multiscale Thermal Transport in Energy Systems, ISBN 978-1-63485-692-8, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., Hauppauge, NY.
- Zhang, Y., 2013, Femtosecond Lasers: New Research, ISBN 978-1-62948-059-6, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., Hauppauge, NY.
- Zhang, Y., 2013, Nanofluids: Research, Development and Applications, ISBN 978-1-62618-165-6, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., Hauppauge, NY.
- Faghri, A., Zhang, Y., and Howell, J., 2010, Advanced Heat and Mass Transfer, ISBN 978-0-9842760-0-4, Global Digital Press, Columbia, MO.
- Faghri, A., and Zhang, Y., 2006, Transport Phenomena in Multiphase Systems, ISBN 978-0-12-370610-2, Elsevier, Burlington, MA.
- ONR Announces Young Investigator Program Awards, Office of Naval Research, February 20, 2002.
- AIAA Associate Fellows Roster
- ASME Fellows.
- 2015 AAAS Fellows Recognized for Contributions to Advancing Science.
- Biographical information at the University of Missouri.