|Species||Canis lupus familiaris|
|Born||7 January 1992|
|Died||16 November 2000 (aged 8)|
Parel, Mumbai, India
|Notable role||Detection dog|
|Known for||1993 Mumbai bombings|
Zanjeer (from Hindi: जंजीर, "a chain"; ultimately from Persian) (7 January 1992 – 16 November 2000) was a Labrador Retriever who served as a detection dog with the Mumbai Police in Maharashtra state of India. Due to his impeccable service detecting many explosives and other weapons—in particular during the 1993 Mumbai bombings—he was honoured with a full state funeral. .
Zanjeer was trained at the Dog Training Centre of the Criminal Investigation Department at Shivaji Nagar in Pune, India. He joined the Mumbai Police Bomb Detection and Disposal Squad on 29 December 1992 and was handled by Ganesh Andale and V G Rajput. The name Zanjeer comes from the 1973 Hindi film Zanjeer but he was also called "Ginger" because of his coat colour. Not including his contributions during the 1993 attacks, Zanjeer helped to recover 11 military bombs, 57 country-made bombs, 175 petrol bombs, and 600 detonators.
During the time of the 1993 Mumbai bombings in March, Zanjeer helped avert at least three more attacks in Bombay, Mumbra, and Thane. The first incident happened on 15 March 1993 when Zanjeer alerted his handlers to a scooter bomb on Dhanji Street that contained RDX explosives and gelatin sticks. He was then called to the scene of ten unclaimed suitcases outside the Siddhivinayak Temple where the dog detected three Type 56 rifles, five 9-mm pistols, and 200 grenades marked "Arges 69". Days later, Zanjeer investigated two suitcases at the Zaveri Bazaar that contained nine Type 56 rifles.
Zanjeer developed bone cancer and died 16 November 2000 as a result. He was buried with full state honours.
- Caturvedi, Mahendra (1970). ". A practical Hindi-English dictionary". National Pub.House. p. 228. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- The Untouchables: Bombay Police after 26/11 at New Delhi Television, by Sreenivasan Jain; published 11 November 2009; retrieved 23 July 2013
- "Police dog Zanjeer dead". Mid Day. 17 November 2000. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- Singh, Vijay (1 January 2009). "Navi Mumbai's youngest anti-terror recruit is a pup". Times of India. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- Sen, Somit (21 September 2006). "Zanjeer, city's saviour many times over, RIP". Times of India. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- "50 Glorious Years of the Mumbai Police Dog Squad: Canine 'Detectives' that Sniff Out Crime". The Protector. New Media (Nov-Dec 2009). 2009. Retrieved 26 October 2012.