|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|• Mayor||Sanjay More|
|• Deputy Mayor||Rajendra Sapte|
|• Municipal Commissioner||Sanjeev Jaiswal|
|• Total||147 km2 (57 sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituencies||Thane
|Vidhan Sabha constituencies||Kopri-Pachpakhadi
The name Thane, locally pronounced [ˈʈʰaːɳeː], has been variously romanized as Tana, Thana, Thâṇâ, and Thane. Ibn Battuta and Abulfeda knew it as Kukin Tana; Duarte Barbosa as Tana Mayambu.
A copper plate dating to AD 1078 was discovered near the foundations of Thane Fort in 1787. A land grant from Arikesara Devaraja, lord of Tagara, he addresses the inhabitants of a city called "Sri Sthanaka".
In the 14th century, Thane was a major port under a Muslim governor which was celebrated for its production of a cloth known as Tanasi. In 1321, it was the site of the martyrdom of St Thomas of Tolentino and his companions, Franciscans who were executed for blaspheming Muhammad when questioned by the qadi during a domestic abuse case between two local Nestorians. It was also visited during the period by Jordanus (who removed their relics), Odoric of Pordenone (who removed them again), Ibn Battuta, and Abulfeda.
Thane was the terminus for the first ever passenger train in Asia. On 16 April 1853, the passenger train service was inaugurated between Colaba and Thane. Covering a distance of 34 km (21 mi), it was hauled by three locomotives: Sahib, Sindh and Sultan.
Thane is connected with neighbouring suburbs through Central and Trans-Harbour Line Suburban railway network. Thane is a railway junction for the Thane-Vashi Harbour Line and Central Line. It has become the busiest suburban station in Mumbai which handles 6.54 lakh passengers daily.
As of 2013, there are plans of extending the Ghatkopar-Mulund Metro line up to Thane.
On 26 August 2015, MMRDA sanctions ₹35,400 crores for 118 km Mumbai metro network. This includes a 40-km Wadala-Ghatkopar-Thane-Kasarvadavali Metro-4 corridor via Wadala GPO and R.A.Kidwai Marg costing ₹ 12,000 crore.
In Thane, temperature varies from 22 °C to 36 °C. Winter temperatures can fall to 12 °C at night while summer temperatures can rise to over 40 °C at noon. The lowest day time temperatures are witnessed during the peak of summer monsoon in July and August when temperatures can drop to about 25 °C. Out of total rainfall, 80% rainfall is experienced during June to October. Average annual rainfall is 2000–2500 mm and humidity is 61-86%, making it a humid-perhumid zone.
|Climate data for Thane|
|Average high °C (°F)||30.6
|Average low °C (°F)||16.4
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||3.1
|Source: Government of Maharashtra|
The population of Thane according to the 2011 census is 1,886,941;. Average literacy rate of Thane city is 91.36 percent of which male and female literacy was 94.19 and 88.14 percent. The sex ratio of Thane city is 882 per 1000 males. Child sex ratio of girls is 900 per 1000 boys. Total children (0-6) in Thane city are 186,259 as per Census India report on 2011. There were 98,017 boys while 88,242 are girls. Children form 10.24% of total population of Thane City.
Thane's lakes include Masunda Lake, also known as Talao Pali, Kachrali Lake, and Upvan Lake. Talao Pali offers boating and water scooter facilities. On the lakefront stands the Gadkari Rangayatan, a drama theatre which is a very popular hub for entertainment. The Kopineshwar Temple on the banks is the oldest temple in the entire district of Thane. It was built and renovated in about 1750 by Chimajji Appa.
- 2013 Thane building collapse in Shil Phata
- Thane Railway Station
- Transportation in Thane
- List of churches in Thane
- Butler, Alban; Peter Doyle, eds. (c. 1756), "Bd Thomas of Tolentino", Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints, p. 68.
- Habig, Marion Alphonse (1979), The Franciscan Book of Saints, Franciscan Herald Press, cited in "Thomas of Tolentino and Companions", Roman Catholic Saints, retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Cunha, J. Gerson da (1876), Notes on the History and Antiquities of Chaul and Bassein, Bombay, p. 174.
- "Bl. Thomas of Tolentino", Catholic Online.
- Cunha (1876), p. 16.
- Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland, p. 112.
- Naravane, M.S. (2014). Battles of the Honorourable East India Company. A.P.H. Publishing Corporation. pp. 53–54. ISBN 9788131300343.
- Colonialism: An International, Social, Cultural and Political encyclopedia By Melvin Eugene Page, Penny M. Sonnenburg, page 135
- Thane is busiest railway station in Mumbai - Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2013-05-19). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Soon, take a metro from south Mumbai to Thane. Hindustan Times (2013-04-23). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Reporter, B. S. "MMRDA sanctions Rs 35,400 cr for 118 km Mumbai metro network".
- Census of India: Sub-District Details. Censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Thane City Population Census 2011 | Maharashtra. Census2011.co.in. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Thane Gazetteer: Ppolation: Christians – Speech. Maharashtra.gov.in. Retrieved on 2012-01-21.
- "Masunda Talao, Thane". Native Planet. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thane.|