|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
|• Mayor||Sanjay Bhaurao More|
|• Municipal Commissioner||Aseem Gupta|
|• Total||147 km2 (57 sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituencies||Thane
|Vidhan Sabha constituencies||Kopri-Pachpakhadi
City of Lakes
The most famous is the Masunda Lake, also known as Talao Pali. It offers boating and water scooter facilities. On the lakefront stands the Gadkari Rangayatan, a drama theatre which is a very popular hub for entertainment. The Kopineshwar Temple on the banks is the oldest temple in the entire district of Thane. It was built and renovated in about 1750 AD by Chimajji Appa.
The city crops up again in the Middle Ages and slabs and copper plates dating back to the period have been discovered in Thane. One of them, dug up from the foundations of Thane Fort in 1787, dated 1078 AD, is apparently a land grant from Arikesara Devaraja, sovereign of the city of Tagara, wherein he address the inhabitants of a city called Sri Sthanaka.
Friar Jordanus visited Thane between AD 1321 and 1324, and described it as being under a Muslim governor. He left a detailed sketch of Nestorian Christians in Thane and refers to the martyrdom of four Christian (Franciscan) friars in the region, nearly 200 years before the Portuguese set foot in India. The celebrated Ibn Battuta and Abul Feda, contemporaries of Friar Jordanus, also came here. They refer to Thane as Kukin Tana and speak of its fame as a port from which ships sailed to the gulf carrying a kind of cloth called 'Tanasi' which was produced in Thane. Duarte Barbosa, a noted traveler, described Thane by the name Tana Mayambu
Thane was the terminus for the first ever passenger train in India. On 16 April 1853, the passenger train service was inaugurated between Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) and Thane. Covering a distance of 34 km (21 mi), it was hauled by three locomotives: Sahib, Sindh and Sultan.
Thane is connected with neighbouring suburbs through Central and Trans-Harbour Line Suburban railway network. Thane is a railway junction for the Thane-Vashi Harbour Line and Central Line. It has become the busiest suburban station in Mumbai which handles 6.54 lakh passengers daily.
As of 2013, there are plans of extending the Ghatkopar-Mulund Metro line up to Thane.
In Thane, temperature varies from 22 °C to 36 °C. Winter temperatures can fall to 12 °C at night while summer temperatures can rise to over 40 °C at noon. The lowest day time temperatures are witnessed during the peak of summer monsoon in July and August when temperatures can drop to about 25 °C. Out of total rainfall, 80% rainfall is experienced during June to October. Average annual rainfall is 2000–2500 mm and humidity is 61-86%, making it a humid-perhumid zone. City may experience multiple days at stretch without direct sunshine due to continuous cloud cover during the peak summer monsoon months of July and August. The driest days are in winter while the wettest days are experienced in July.
|Climate data for Thane|
|Average high °C (°F)||30.6
|Average low °C (°F)||16.4
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||3.1
|Source: Government of Maharashtra|
The population of Thane according to the 2011 census is 1,886,941;. Average literacy rate of Thane city is 91.36 percent of which male and female literacy was 94.19 and 88.14 percent. The sex ratio of Thane city is 882 per 1000 males. Child sex ratio of girls is 900 per 1000 boys. Total children (0-6) in Thane city are 186,259 as per Census India report on 2011. There were 98,017 boys while 88,242 are girls. Children form 10.24% of total population of Thane City.
- 2013 Thane building collapse in Shil Phata
- Thane Railway Station
- Transportation in Thane
- List of churches in Thane
- "Masunda Talao, Thane". Native Planet. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland - Google Books. Books.google.co.in. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Notes on the History and Antiquities of Chaul and Bassein - J. Gerson Da Cunha - Google Books. Books.google.co.in. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Colonialism: An International, Social, Cultural and Political encyclopedia By Melvin Eugene Page, Penny M. Sonnenburg, page 135
- Thane is busiest railway station in Mumbai - Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2013-05-19). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Soon, take a metro from south Mumbai to Thane. Hindustan Times (2013-04-23). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Census of India: Sub-District Details. Censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Thane City Population Census 2011 | Maharashtra. Census2011.co.in. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Thane Gazetteer: Ppolation: Christians – Speech. Maharashtra.gov.in. Retrieved on 2012-01-21.
- Thaneweb.com – The city portal
- ThaneMahapailika.com - Thane Municipal Corporation (Local Body)
- Development of Thane Solar City