This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hiranandani Estate in Thane
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Mayor||Naresh Mhaske|
|• Deputy Mayor||Pallavi Kadam|
|• Municipal Commissioner||Dr. Vipin Sharma|
|• Total||147 km2 (57 sq mi)|
|• Density||13,000/km2 (33,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituencies||Thane |
|Vidhan Sabha constituencies||Thane |
Thane ([ˈʈʰaːɳeː]) is a metropolitan city in Maharashtra, India. It is situated in the north-eastern portion of the Salsette Island. Thane city is entirely within Thane taluka, one of the seven talukas of Thane district; also, it is the headquarters of the namesake district. With a population of 1,841,488 distributed over a land area of about 147 square kilometres (57 sq mi), Thane city is the 15th most populated city in India with a population of 1,890,000 according to the 2011 census.
Etymology and other names
The word 'Thane' is derived from local Marathi word "ठाणे" meaning "Police Check Post". Thane was the next Major British Police Check Post after Mumbai (formerly Bombay). Thane still houses Two Indian Airforce Bases in the city.
The name Thane has been variously romanised as Tana, Thana, Thâṇâ, and Thane. Ibn Battuta and Abulfeda knew it as Kukin Tana; Duarte Barbosa as Tana Mayambu. Before 1996, the city was called 'Thana', the British spelling of the city, until it was replaced with the more-local name.
A copper plate dating to AD 1078 was discovered near the foundations of Thane Fort in 1787. A land grant from Arikesara Devaraja, lord of Tagara, wherein he addresses the inhabitants of a city called "Sri Sthanaka".
Thane is well connected to other regions by an extensive network of Railways and Roadways - including one national highway passing through Thane. As Thane is next to Mulund (which is the last station of Mumbai's Eastern Suburb), Airoli (which is the first station of Navi Mumbai's North-Western suburb), Bhiwandi the Junction to (2 Twin cities) of Kalyan- Dombivali & Vasai -Virar, and the Borivali Mumbai's Western Suburb & Mira Road/Bhayander through Ghodbunder Road, most parts of the city are easily accessible.
Thane was the terminus for the first ever passenger train in Asia. On 16 April 1853, the passenger train service was inaugurated between Bori Bunder and Thane. Covering a distance of 34 km (21 mi), it was hauled by three locomotives: Sahib, Sindh and Sultan.
Thane is connected with neighbouring suburbs through Central and Trans-Harbour Line Suburban railway network. Thane is a railway junction for the Thane-Vashi & Panvel Harbour Line and Central Line. It is one of the busiest stations in India and handles 654,000 passengers daily.
On 26 August 2015, MMRDA sanctioned ₹354 billion for 118 km Mumbai metro network. This includes a 40-km Wadala-Ghatkopar-Thane-Kasarvadavali Metro-4 corridor via Wadala GPO and R.A.Kidwai Marg costing ₹120 billion.
Thane Municipal Transport (TMT)
Thane Municipal Transport (TMT) Thane Municipal Corporation started its own transport service on 9 February 1989, known as TMT ~ Thane Municipal Transport. TMT provides services the city interior and suburbs like Mulund, Andheri, Miraroad, Nallasopar, Bhivandi, Vasai, Virar, Borivali, Vashi, Airoli, Ghatkopar, Dadar, Bandra, BKC, Bhayandar, Kalyan, and Panvel, among others.
|Number of Buses||289|
|Number of Routes||45|
|Number of Depot||3 Kalwa Depot & Wagale Estate Depot (Kolshet Depot)*Proposed|
|Number of Bus Stands||8|
|Number of Bus Stops||874|
|Running km Per Day||63135|
|Number of Bus Trips per Day||7114|
|Bus Travellers Per Day||280017|
|Daily Income Rs.||1388547/-|
|Running km Per day Per Bus||211|
|Number of Employees||2558|
Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport (NMMT) ply in direction towards Vashi and New Mumbai. It goes through Airoli, Turbe etc. Most of NMMT buses ply in Thane from the Kalva area. NMMT connects city of Thane to various parts of NaviMumbai .NMMT operates buses to Airoli ,Rabale,Mahape,Panvel,Vashi,Ghansoli,Panvel,Nerul,CBD Belapur,etc.
Mira Bhayandar Municipal Transport (MBMT)
Mira-Bhayandar Municipal Transport (MBMT) is the newest Public Transport, The Buses are ply from Dahisar Check naka towards Versova [Thane] Check naka. So till now Majority of MBMT buses can be taken up at the Check naka only. MBMT has started new services to Thane City from January 2010.
|Route||Route No||Starting||Destination (Thane)||Route Description|
|Ordinary||7||Bhayander Railway Station (West)||Ghodbunder Village||Kashimira|
|Limited||10 LTD||Bhayander Railway Station (West)||Thane Railway Station (East)||Ghodbunder Road|
|Ordinary||29||Mira Road Railway Station||Marathon Chowk (Teen Haath Naka)||Ghodbunder Road|
Vasai-Virar Municipal Transport (VVMT)
VVMT is the newest Public Transport, Operational from October 2013. The area of Thane City was connected to the Vasai & Virar by the VVMT.
|Route||Route No||Starting||Destination (Thane)||Route Description|
|Ordinary||111||Vasai Court/Tahasildar Office||Mulund East||Via Ahemdabad Highway, Godbunder Road, Eastern Express Highway, LBS Marg, Mulund West|
|Ordinary||112||Vasai Court/Tahasildar Office||Thane Rly Station East||Via Ahemdabad Highway, Godbunder Road, Eastern Express Highway, Kopari|
Future of transport in Thane
A light rail network covering 42 km has been proposed in three phases. In the first phase, consultants have suggested connectivity between Balkum and Kolshet via Naupada. It will be 16.05 km long with 14.65 km elevated, and only 1.4 km on the surface, and 11 stations in all.
In Thane, temperature varies from 22 °C to 36 °C. Winter temperatures can fall to 12 °C at night while summer temperatures can rise to over 40 °C at noon. The lowest daytime temperatures are witnessed during the peak of the summer monsoon in July and August when temperatures can drop to about 25 °C. Out of total rainfall, 80% rainfall is experienced during June to October. Average annual rainfall is 2000–2500 mm and humidity is 61–86%, making it a humid-perhumid zone.
|Climate data for Thane|
|Average high °C (°F)||29.5
|Average low °C (°F)||15.4
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||3.1
|Source: Government of Maharashtra|
The population of Thane according to the 2011 census is 1,886,941. The average literacy rate of Thane city is 91.36 percent for where male and female literacy was 94.19 and 88.14 percent respectively. The sex ratio of Thane city is 882 females per 1000 males. Child sex ratio is 900 girls per 1000 boys. Total children (0–6) in Thane city are 186,259 as per Census India report on 2011. There were 98,017 boys while 88,242 are girls. Children form 10.24% of total population of Thane City.
The dominant language spoken in Thane is Marathi. Some of the East Indian families in the Khatri ward of Thane still speak Portuguese. About 1,800 of India's approximately 5,000 Jews live in Thane.
Thane's lakes include Masunda Lake, also known as Talao Pali, Kachrali Lake, and Upvan Lake.Talao Pali is a popular evening spot for thaneites with three remarkable structures on its banks.Oldest is St.John the Baptist church, built by Portuguese in 1582,is one of the heritage structures in Thane.other is the Kopineshwar Temple on the banks of Masunda Lake is the oldest temple in the entire district of Thane. It was built and renovated in about 1750 by Chimajji Appa.and third is Gadkari Rangaytan,a popular drama hall for Marathi dramas.
Also Yeoor hill, with its natural environment, and Sanjay Gandhi national park are also tourist spots.
|1||Brahamala Lake||Near Babubhai Petrol Pump in Uthalsar Ward Committee||0.5173 ha|
(garden area: 0.4 ha)
|2||Datiwali Lake||East side of Diva station situated in the marshland of Ulhas river in Mumbra Ward Committee Area||0.77 ha|
|3||Dawala Lake||At Ovala in Majiwada -Manpada Prabhag Samiti||1.136 ha|
|4||Devasar Lake||At the end of Bhayanderpada at foothills of Sanjay Gandhi National Park in Majiwada-Manpada Ward Committee||0.516 ha|
|5||Diaghar Lake||At the outskirts of Diaghar village in Mumbra Ward Committee||0.363 ha|
|6||Diva Lake||Situated just outside Diva station in Mumbra Ward Committee||0.405 ha|
|7||Ambe Ghosale Lake||At Meenatai Thakare Chowk, Castle Mill Naka (Opposite Desai Bunglow) in Uthalsar Ward committee||2.77 ha|
(Garden Area : 0.57 ha)
|8||Gokul Nagar Lake||It is a small lake situated in the heart of the city in the midst of Gokulnagar slums in Uthalsar Ward Committee||0.325 ha|
|9||Hariyali Lake||Near Thane Railway Station in Kopari Ward Committee||0.7939 ha|
(Area around lake : 0.1 ha)
|10||Jail Lake||Opp. Post Office beside Jail Water Tank in Uthalsar Ward committee||1.43 ha|
|11||Jogila Lake||Near Uthalsar Ward office||approx 0.1 ha|
|12||Desai Lake||On westside of Ulhas river, in Desai village in Mumbra Ward Committee||1.75 ha|
10–12 feet depth
|13||Kacharali Lake||Opp. TMC Head Office in Naupada Ward Committee||2.00 ha|
|14||Kasar-Wadavali Lake||Majivada, manpada Ward office||4.5173 ha|
|15||Kausa Lake||Mumbra Ward office, Kausa||1.5173 ha|
|16||Kavesar Lake||Situated at Waghbill road||2.1746 ha|
|17||Khardi Lake||The lake is situated in premises of khardipada, Shil||approx. 1.15ha|
|18||Kharegaon Lake||Kalwa Ward office||0.7377 ha|
|19||Khidkali Lake||Mumbra Ward office Khidkali Lake is situated on the eastern side of the Thane creek near the Shil phata||1.7 ha|
|20||Kolbad Lake||Uthalsar Ward office||1.0 ha|
|21||Kolshet Lake||Manpada Ward office||1.0 ha|
|22||Makhamali Lake||Uthalsar Ward office||1.0 ha|
(garden Attached Area : 0.51 h)
|23||Masunda Lake (Talao Pali)||Masunda Lake ( also known as Talao Pali) is located on West of Thane, in the heart of Thane city. The lake is surrounded by important historic places like Gadkari Rangayatan, St. John church, Kopineshwar temple and Jambli market. There is a Mahadev Dhyan Mandir at the centre of the lake and also a statue of Shivaji Maharaj near the lake.||7.2 ha|
|24||Naar Lake||Naar Lake is situated on outskirts of Thane along the Ghodbunder road||0.7550 ha|
Depth of 8 m
|25||Kalwa Lake||Kalwa Ward office. Located close to railway station||2 ha|
|26||Phadakepada Lake||Mumbra Ward office||1.71 ha|
|27||Railadevi Lake||Railadevi Ward office||8 ha|
|28||Rewale Lake||Majivada-manpada Ward office||0.5173 ha|
|29||Shivaji Nagar, Balkumb Lake||The lake is situated along old agra road next to water supply line in Balkum area||0.2247 ha|
|30||Siddheshwar Lake||Uthalsar Ward office||3.00 ha|
|31||Burbank Lake||Inside Hiranandani Estate, between Park Avenue and Wood Street. To the west of it is Lake Enclave.||0.5857 ha|
|32||Upvan Lake||Vartak nagar Ward office is located at the foothills of Yeour. It is also the Venue for Sanskruti Arts Festival held every Half Year. God of Shiva statue is in middle of lake. Ganesh Temple is situated at near lake which is best place to calm our mind.||6 ha|
|33||Shill Lake||Mumbra Ward office||6 ha|
- D.A.V. Public School
- Hiranandani Foundation School
- Holy Cross Convent High School
- New Horizon Scholars School, Thane
- Podar International School
- Smt. Sulochanadevi Singhania School
- Sri Ma Vidyalaya, Patlipada Thane
- Vasant Vihar High School
- A. K. Joshi English Medium School
- C.P. Goenka International School
- EuroSchool Thane (W)
- Home of Faith English High School. Subhash Nagar, Pokharan Road No. 2
- Indo Scots Global School
- Little Flower English High School. Pokharan Road No. 2
- N. L. Dalmia High School
- Orchids International School
- R H Ideal High School, Rabodi Thane
- Rainbow International School, Thane
- Sarasvati Vidyalaya High School and Jr College of Science ,Behind Central Jail, Rabodi - 1, Thane, Maharashtra 400601
- SES High school
- St. John The Baptist High School and Jr College
Colleges and Institutes
- Rustomjee Academy for Global Careers
- Dr. V. N. Bedekar Institute of Management Studies And Law
- Institute of Management and Computer Studies
- KC College of Engineering
- Rajiv Gandhi Medical College
- Vidya Prasarak Mandal's Polytechnic
- PACE IIT & Medical Naik Wadi Naupada Thane
- AP Shah Institute of Technology
- Dnyan Ganga Education Trust's International School and degree college
- S. E. S High School & Jr. College
- Sahayog College of Management Studies
- Jitendra Awhad – Member of Legislative Assembly Cabinet minister - Housing Department Goverment of Maharashtra (MLA) for Mumbra-Kalwa constituency in 13th Maharashtra Vidhan Sabha
- Sanjay Kelkar – MLA for Thane constituency in 13th Maharashtra Vidhan Sabha
- Pramod Mahajan – former BJP leader and minister in Central government.
- Sanjeev Naik – MP for Thane constituency in 15th Lok Sabha.
- Anand Paranjpe – Member of parliament (MP) for Kalyan constituency in 15th Lok Sabha
- Pratap Sarnaik – MLA for Ovala-Majiwada constituency in 12th and 13th Maharashtra Vidhan Sabha
- Eknath Shinde – Cabinet Minister – PWD (MSRDC, Public Undertaking), Government of Maharashtra
- Rajan Vichare – MP for Thane constituency in 16th Lok Sabha
- 2013 Thane building collapse in Shil Phata
- Thane Railway Station
- Transportation in Thane
- Trans Thane Creek
- List of schools in Thane
- Line 4 (Mumbai Metro)
- List of towns and villages in Thane district
- Thane Creek
- Trans Thane Creek
- Butler, Alban; Peter Doyle, eds. (c. 1756), "Bd Thomas of Tolentino", Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs, and Other Principal Saints, p. 68.
- Habig, Marion Alphonse (1979), The Franciscan Book of Saints, Franciscan Herald Press, cited in "Thomas of Tolentino and Companions", Roman Catholic Saints, retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Cunha, J. Gerson da (1876), Notes on the History and Antiquities of Chaul and Bassein, Bombay, p. 174.
- "Bl. Thomas of Tolentino", Catholic Online.
- Cunha (1876), p. 16.
- Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland, p. 112.
- Naravane, M.S. (2014). Battles of the Honourable East India Company. A.P.H. Publishing Corporation. pp. 53–54. ISBN 9788131300343.
- Colonialism: An International, Social, Cultural and Political encyclopedia By Melvin Eugene Page, Penny M. Sonnenburg, page 135 Archived 7 July 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Thane is busiest railway station in Mumbai – Times Of India Archived 11 June 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (19 May 2013). Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "Kalyan, Kurla and Thane among the 10 dirtiest stations in the country". Archived from the original on 30 December 2018.
- Soon, take a metro from south Mumbai to Thane Archived 30 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Hindustan Times (23 April 2013). Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- Reporter, B. S. "MMRDA sanctions Rs 35,400 cr for 118 km Mumbai metro network". Archived from the original on 28 August 2015. Retrieved 27 August 2015.
-  Archived 13 November 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Know your Town Better Archived 9 March 2010 at the Wayback Machine. Mira-Road.com.
- . Vasai.com.
- Times of India report. timesofindia.indiatimes.com. (26 December 2005).
- Census of India: Sub-District Details Archived 21 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- Thane City Population Census 2011 | Maharashtra Archived 18 February 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Census2011.co.in. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- Thane Gazetteer: Population: Christians – Speech Archived 10 November 2010 at the Wayback Machine. Maharashtra.gov.in. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
- "Jew in Thane". Archived from the original on 23 December 2017. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "Masunda Talao, Thane". Native Planet. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 January 2017. Retrieved 18 January 2017.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Podar International School". podareducation.org. Archived from the original on 13 April 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "VPM's Sou. A. K. Joshi English Medium School - Homepage". www.vpmthane.org. Archived from the original on 13 April 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "CP Goenka International School - Thane". www.cpgoenkathane.com. Archived from the original on 8 November 2018. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Best International Schools in Thane | Best Schools in Thane". Indo Scots Global School. Archived from the original on 13 April 2019. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- "NL Dalmia | A School of Excellence of N.L. Dalmia Educational Society". Archived from the original on 27 January 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "International Schools in Thane | Best Schools in Thane". Orchids The International School. Archived from the original on 13 April 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Best Vocational Education & Training Courses Institute in India | RAGC". Rustomjee Academy For Global Careers. Archived from the original on 12 April 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Sahyog College of Management Studies". Sahyog College of Management Studies. Archived from the original on 13 April 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thane.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Thane.|