|Members||Luca T. Mai
Hailing from Ostia, a town near Rome, Zu are an atypical trio made of drums, electric bass, baritone saxophone and electronics. Formed in Rome in 1997, they began as composers and players for theatre performances. The band is composed of three members: Luca Mai on baritone saxophone, Massimo Pupillo on bass and Gabe Serbian on drums. Zu have released fourteen albums, including two live album and two splits, and played in festivals in Europe, America, Asia and Africa. In 2006 the band toured with the Fantômas Melvins Big Band, a supergroup which is a fusion of Fantômas and the Melvins.
Although difficult to define, Zu's style could be characterised as a fusion of math rock, heavy metal and noise rock. The music is instrumental, and features virtuosic drumming, powerful bass and distorted saxophone.
One constant element in Zu's music is collaboration, and many of the band's albums are billed as collaborations with a guest musician (such as Mike Patton, Buzz Osbourne, Mats Gustafsson and Nobukazu Takemura). Often, a collaborator will join them at live performances as well. Members of the band also collaborate with other musical projects, most of which exist only as live performances.
John Zorn described the band as creating "a powerful and expressive music that totally blows away what most bands do these days".
- Eugene Chadbourne – guitar on The Zu Side of the Chadbourne and Motorhellington
- Jeb Bishop – trombone on Igneo
- Mats Gustafsson – saxophones on How to Raise an Ox
- Xabier Iriondo – on Zu/Iceburn
- Fred Lonberg-Holm – cello on The Way of the Animal Powers
- Nobukazu Takemura – on Identification with the Enemy - A Key to the Underworld
- Spaceways inc. – on Radiale
- Roy Paci – trumpet on Bromio
- Mike Patton – vocals on some live dates and Carboniferous
- Ken Vandermark – saxophones on Igneo and Radiale
- Buzz Osborne - on Carboniferous
- Balazs Pandi - drums on 2011 tour
- 1999 - Bromio
- 2000 - The Zu Side of the Chadbourne
- 2001 - Motorhellington
- 2002 - Igneo
- 2003 - Live in Helsinki
- 2004 - Radiale
- 2004 - Eccentrics, Issue #1 Hinterlandt / Zu / Can Can Heads
- 2005 - The Way of the Animal Powers
- 2005 - How to Raise an Ox
- 2005 - Zu/Dälek
- 2006 - Rai Sanawachi Koe Wo Hassu
- 2006 - Zu/Iceburn - PhonoMetak 10" Series No. 1
- 2007 - Identification with the Enemy: A Key to the Underworld
- 2008 - Il Teatro degli Orrori/Zu
- 2008 - Zu/Xabier Iriondo/Damo Suzuki - PhonoMetak 10" Series No. 4
- 2009 - Carboniferous
- 2014 - Goodnight Civilization EP
- 2014 - Zu & Eugene Robinson - The Left Hand Path
- 2015 - Cortar Todo
- "Welcome Tomas Järmyr!". zuism.net. 2015-06-05. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zu (band).|