Former courthouse in Zuidhorn
Location in Groningen
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Greetje de Vries-Leggedoor (acting) (CDA)|
|• Total||128.37 km2 (49.56 sq mi)|
|• Land||125.56 km2 (48.48 sq mi)|
|• Water||2.81 km2 (1.08 sq mi)|
|Elevation||4 m (13 ft)|
|Population (August 2017)|
|• Density||150/km2 (400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Postcode||Parts of 9800 range|
Zuidhorn (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈzœytɦɔrn] ( listen)) is a municipality and a town in the northeastern Netherlands. Due to a municipal reoganisation in 1990, Zuidhorn was extended when it merged with, though not physically connected to Oldehove, Grijpskerk and Aduard. The town largely depends on the city of Groningen. A railway line, operated by Arriva, connects the town with Leeuwarden in Friesland and Groningen.
Zuidhorn has two train stations: Zuidhorn and Grijpskerk. At least once an hour a train runs between Groningen and Leeuwarden. On weekdays, trains stop twice an hour in Zuidhorn. Until 1991 there used to be a third station on this line, Visvliet.
In the center of Zuidhorn, lies a large, partly wooded park called "Johan Smit Park". It offers a wide variety of recreation, open to the public, based on trails. The "Quick Silver S" is the main sport hall, hosting many activities such as a running clubs, and other sports. Nearby, the park has numerous soccer fields and a playground. For most of the year, docile highland cattle roam the park.
There is a dense concentration of terps, better known as wierden, artificial dwelling hills, in the area Middag-Humsterland. In 1995, this collection of wierden was submitted to UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sites. The property is currently on the tentative list.
Aalsum, Aduard, Balmahuizen, Barnwerd, Briltil, De Kampen, De Poffert, De Ruigewaard, Den Ham, Den Horn, Diepswal, Electra, Englum, Fransum, Frytum, Gaaikemadijk, Gaaikemaweer, Gaarkeuken, Grijpskerk, Heereburen, Hoekje, Hoogemeeden, Humsterland, Ikum, Kenwerd, Kommerzijl, Korhorn, Lagemeeden, Lammerburen, Lauwerzijl, Niehove, Nieuwklap, Niezijl, Noorderburen, Noordhorn, Noordhornerga, Noordhornertolhek, Okswerd, Oldehove, Pama, Pieterzijl, Ruigezand, Saaksum, Selwerd, Spanjaardsdijk, Steentil, Visvliet, Wierumerschouw and Zuidhorn.
- "Burgemeester de heer L.K. (Bert) Swart" [Mayor Mr. L.K. (Bert) Swart] (in Dutch). Gemeente Zuidhorn. Archived from the original on 21 February 2014. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 9801AJ". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- Tentative List for the Netherlands. The World Heritage Platform. Retrieved on 2009-07-23.
- Middag and Humsterland. UNESCO World Heritage Centre. Retrieved on 2009-07-23.