1919 in architecture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in architecture (table)|
|... 1909 . 1910 . 1911 . 1912 . 1913 . 1914 . 1915 ...
1916 1917 1918 -1919- 1920 1921 1922
... 1923 . 1924 . 1925 . 1926 . 1927 . 1928 . 1929 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
The year 1919 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.
- November - Start of the Glass Chain correspondence.
- 27 November - Laie Hawaii Temple, Oʻahu, Hawaii, USA.
- Julia Morgan is selected as the architect for William Randolph Hearst's La Cuesta Encantada, better known as Hearst Castle, in San Simeon, California, USA.
- Bauhaus is founded in Weimar by Walter Gropius.
- 5 March - Rebuilt Helsinki Central railway station, designed by Eliel Saarinen
- Church of the Madonna della Difesa, Montreal, Canada.
- Grosses Schauspielhaus in Berlin reopens after renovation by Hans Poelzig.
- McMahon Building, better known as the World's littlest skyscraper, by J.D. McMahon, in downtown Wichita Falls, Texas.
- 3 January - Robin Boyd, Australian architect (died 1971)
- 21 June - Paolo Soleri, Italian-American architect (died 2013)
- 12 December - Giancarlo De Carlo, Italian architect (died 2005)
- date unknown Mualla Eyüboğlu, Turkish architect (died 2009)
- 26 February - Paul Due, Norwegian architect of railway stations (born 1835)
- 15 October - Adolf W. Edelsvärd, Swedish architect (born 1824)
- 6 November - Hans Christian Amberg, Danish architect (born 1837)
- Whyte, Iain Boyd ed. (1985). Crystal Chain Letters: Architectural Fantasies by Bruno Taut and His Circle. The MIT Press. ISBN 0-262-23121-2
- Högström, Hilkka (1996). Helsingin rautatieasema / Helsinki railway station. Helsinki. ISBN 951-53-0533-0.
- Jokinen, Teppo (1998). "Eliel Saarinen – Main Station". In Thiel-Siling, Sabine (ed.). Icons of Architecture – the 20th century (2nd ed.). Munich: Prestel. pp. 24–5. ISBN 3791319493.
- Church of Notre-Dame-de-la-Défense National Historic Site of Canada. Canadian Register of Historic Places.
- Carroll Wilson (March 27, 2001). "How Easily We Seem To Forget Our History Lessons" (subscription required). Wichita Falls Times Record News (Wichita Falls, Texas: E. W. Scripps Company). p. B1. ISSN 0895-6138. Retrieved 2010-10-09.