Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani
|Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Rajkumar Santoshi|
|Produced by||Ramesh S Taurani|
|Written by||Rajkumar Santoshi|
|Screenplay by||Rajkumar Santoshi|
UTV Motion Pictures
|Running time||161 minutes|
|Budget||25 crore (US$3.8 million)|
|Box office||96.63 crore (US$15 million)|
Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani (Hindi: अजब प्रेम की ग़ज़ब कहानी, Ajab Prēm Kī Ġazab Kahānī ?; English: Unique Prem's (Love's) Amazing Story) is a 2009 romantic comedy film. It stars Ranbir Kapoor and Katrina Kaif in lead roles. Salman Khan and director Rajkumar Santoshi appear in cameo roles.
Prem (Ranbir Kapoor) is a free-loader who, while helping his friend elope, meets Jenny (Katrina Kaif), but she dislikes him because she thinks he is mocking her. When she finds out he stammers like her, the two become friends. When he tries to tell Jenny his feelings, he finds out that Jenny is in love with her college friend Rahul (Upen Patel). On her wedding day to Tony (Pradeep Kharab), who her parents want her to marry, Prem helps Jenny escape.
He then meets Rahul and finds out that Rahul loves Jenny more than his family, so helps them board a train to escape. However, Rahul disappears at the train station, and Jenny returns to Prem so Prem can help her find Rahul.
As Rahul's father does not like Jenny and completely opposes relationship between Jenny and Rahul .when Prem visits Rahul's house for Jenny's proposal with Rahul, he is insulted by Rahul's father.After that, Jenny lies to the police, claiming that she and Prem are in love to save Rahul's name.
Prem and Jenny successfully go to the club to get reunited with Rahul. Rahul tells Prem that he (Rahul) and Jenny are going to prepare the wedding in two days.
Unfortunately, a day before the wedding, Jenny gets kidnapped by Sajid Don (Zakir Hussain). Prem and his buddies found her in Sajid Don's warehouse. A hilarious fight ensues between Prem and Sajid Don's gang. Prem's father (Darshan Jariwala) joins the fight, too. Later on, Sajid Don gets arrested.
However, on Jenny and Rahul's wedding day, Jenny realizes that she truly loves Prem and that Rahul and his family are actually very selfish. She is united with Prem and the two happily get married.
- Ranbir Kapoor as Prem Shankar Sharma
- Katrina Kaif as Jennifer Pinto (Jenny)
- Upen Patel as Rahul Jalan
- Salman Khan as himself (cameo)
- Darshan Jariwala as Shiv Shankar Sharma
- Smita Jaykar as Sharda Sharma
- Govind Namdeo as Pitambar Jalan
- Akul Tripathi as Kunnu Thambi
- Mithilesh Chaturvedi as Mr. Pinto
- Navneet Nishan as Mrs. Pinto
- Zakir Hussain as Sajid Don
- Viju Khote as Robert
- Pradeep Kharab as Tony
- Sanatan Modi as Tony's father
- Rati Shankar Tripathi as Bhairon Singh
- Abhay Bhargava as Terror Tej Singh
- Niharika Bapna as Herself
- Gaurav Saxena as Niharika's Bodyguard
- Behzaad Khan as Jesus
- Delhi Ganesh as temple priest (Cameo)
- Director - Rajkumar Santoshi
- Producer - Ramesh S Taurani
- Screenplay - Rajkumar Santoshi, R D Tailang
- Cinematographer - Tirru
- Creative Producer - Jay Shewakramani
- Production Designer - Nitish Roy
- Music - Pritam
- Choreographer - Ahmed Khan
- First Assistant Director - Manish Harishankar
- Editor - Steven Bernard
- Background Score - Salim-Sulaiman
- Lyricist - Irshad Kamil, Ashiesh Pandit, Hard Kaur
- Action - Abbas Ali Moghul, Tinu Verma
- Sound Engineer - Rakesh Ranjan
Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani received generally positive reviews. Subhash K. Jha (film critic and author of The Essential Guide to Bollywood) states: "If you've ever wondered what on earth is on-screen chemistry here's your one-stop all-purpose encyclopedia on celluloid magic. Fasten your 'see'-it belts, as veteran filmmaker Rajkumar Santoshi sheds all his Lajja, and pulls out all stops to do a wacky goofy edgeless weightless comedy of characters who walk in and walk out of frames leaving behind fumes of old-fashioned funnies. Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani is an airtight trapeze down that familiar romantic lane." Nikhat Kazmi of the Times of India gave it four stars out of five and states: "The newly formented Ranbir-Katrina chemistry sets the screen on fire in this mad hatter's tea party. Adding to this is Pritam's peppy music score with Neeraj Shridhar, Atif Aslam, Hard Kaur, Sunidhi Chauhan and Mika raising a toast to high-spirited song and dance and Raj Kumar Santoshi penning some of the funniest dialogues in recent times and you have a great escape awaiting you at your favourite audi this weekend. Go, have a ball." Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave the film four out of five stars arguing that it "entertains majorly" and that "the romantic moments are endearing. Most importantly, the on-screen chemistry is electrifying. Ranbir and Katrina look great together!" Noyon Jyoti Parasara of AOL India gave 3 out of 5 stars saying, "Its strong point, apart from Ranbir, happens to be its clichéd settings." Omar Qureshi of Zoom gave 3.5 out of five stars saying that "The main point to be noted in the film is that, the film is totally dedicated to love and all the things that are related to love and so, it will leave an ever lasting impression on youth." Minty Tejpal of Mumbai Mirror gave 3.5 out of five stars, saying that "It seems that Ranbir Kapoor can do nothing wrong. He is just fantastic through the film."
Mayank Shekhar of the Hindustan Times gave one star and said that "The film has no comic bone at all. There is certainly no romance either." Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN gave it two stars and said that "Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani is a silly comedy that goes for slapstick gags and juvenile jokes that are hard to appreciate."
The film grossed 96 crore worldwide at the box-office it was declared as a super hit.
Awards and nominations
2010,nominations in best film category in filmfare awards,
|Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani|
|Soundtrack album by Pritam|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Tips Music Films|
|1.||"Prem Ki Naiyya"||Neeraj Shridhar & Suzanne D'Mello||4:06|
|2.||"Aa Jao Meri Tamanna"||Javed Ali||4:02|
|3.||"Tera Hone Laga Hoon"||Atif Aslam, Joi Barua & Alisha Chinai||4:56|
|4.||"Follow Me"||Hard Kaur||2:52|
|5.||"Oh By God"||Mika Singh & Sunidhi Chauhan||4:58|
|6.||"Main Tera Dhadkan Teri"||KK, Sunidhi Chauhan & Hard Kaur||4:33|
|7.||"Tu Jaane Na"||Atif Aslam||5:41|
|8.||"Tu Jaane Na - Unplugged"||Kailash Kher||5:43|
|9.||"Tu Jaane Na - Reprise"||Soham Chakraborty||5:33|
|10.||"Prem Ki Naiyya (Remix)"||Neeraj Shridhar & Suzanne D'Mello||4:31|
|11.||"Main Tera Dhadkan Teri (Remix)"||KK, Sunidhi Chauhan & Hard Kaur||5:04|
|12.||"Tera Hone Laga Hoon (Remix)"||Atif Aslam & Alisha Chinai||4:46|
|13.||"Aa Jao Meri Tamanna (Remix)"||Javed Ali||3:44|
|14.||"Tu Jaane Na (Remix)"||Atif Aslam||6:06|
The soundtrack received generally favorable reviews from critics. Samir Dave of Planet Bollywood gave it a rating of 7.5/10 and said, "If you are looking for an enjoyable potpourri of different musical styles, and melody, then you will love what Pritam has served up for, “Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani”. It deserves to be at the top of the charts". Joginder Tuteja of Bollywood Hungama rated it 3.5/5 and praised the music composer saying, "This is Pritam's year, delivering chartbusters by dozens all through the year, he can now look forward to another bountiful of hit songs up his sleeves with Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani. Also, Ranbir and Katrina can enjoy a hugely popular track for themselves in the form of 'Main Tera Dhadkan Teri'. Go, pick this one up from the shelves!". The songs 'Tu Jaane Na', 'Tera Hone Laga Hoon', 'Prem Ki Naiya' and 'Mein Tera Dhadkan Teri' became chartbusters.
- Filmycinema.com. Filmycinema.com. Retrieved on 2013-10-19.
- "Top Lifetime Grossers Worldwide (IND Rs)". Boxofficeindia.com. Archived from the original on 8 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- "Salman Khan's cameo in Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- Tu Jaane Na song information
- Subhash K Jha speaks about Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani
- Times of India review
- Bollywood Hungama review
- AOL review
- "Chocolate boy to desi Corleone, Kapoor scion grows up". Zoomtv.in. Retrieved 10 June 2010.
- Minty Tejpal (7 November 2009). "Zany and funny". Mumbai Mirror. Archived from the original on 10 November 2009. Retrieved 12 December 2009.
- Hindustan Times review
- Masand review
- 3 Idiots shines at Filmfare Awards
- "Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani: Music review". Retrieved 4 July 2010.
- Joginder Tuteja (12 October 2009). "Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani: Music Review".