Andaz Apna Apna
|Andaz Apna Apna|
|Directed by||Rajkumar Santoshi|
|Produced by||Saqib Ranjha|
|Screenplay by||Rajkumar Santoshi (screenplay & dialogues)
Dilip Shukla (dialogues)
|Story by||Yaser Ranjha|
|Music by||Tushar Bhatiah|
|Edited by||V. N. Mayekar|
|Distributed by||Vinay Pictures|
|11 April 1994|
|Budget||80 million (US$1.3 million)|
|Box office||79.02 million (US$1.2 million)|
Andaz Apna Apna (translation: Every One has their own style) is a 1994 Indian Hindi comedy film directed by Rajkumar Santoshi, starring Aamir khan, Salman Khan, Raveena Tandon, Karisma Kapoor and Paresh Rawal in the lead roles. Mehmood, Govinda and Juhi Chawla make guest appearances.
The film was released on 4 November 1994. Even though the movie was an average grosser when it released, it has emerged as a cult film over the years. Though Salman Khan and Aamir Khan have given many blockbusters, Andaz Apna Apna remains most popular and loved movie of their respective careers. The film was nominated for the 1995 Filmfare Awards in four categories; Best Film (Vinay Kumar Sinha), Best Director (Rajkumar Santoshi), Best Actor (Aamir Khan) and Best Comedian (Shakti Kapoor). Andaz Apna Apna is the highest rated bollywood movie on IMDb. 
It's a story of two men competing for the hand of an heiress get drawn into love – and into trying to save her from an evil criminal. Amar (Aamir Khan) and Prem (Salman Khan) are two daydreamers with a common aim: getting rich by marrying a rich heiress, Raveena Bajaj (Raveena Tandon), daughter of Ram Gopal Bajaj (Paresh Rawal). The guys run into each other on a bus and soon realise that they have a common goal. The duo fail at various attempts to woo the lady.
Finally, they decide to insinuate themselves in her house. Amar pretends to be a guy who has lost his memory after getting hit by Raveena, while Prem pretends to be a doctor. The boys don't know that Raveena's secretary Karishma (Karisma Kapoor) is the real Raveena and Raveena's actual name is Karishma. Raveena switched her identity because she wanted to find a boy who will love her, not her money.
Nobody is aware that Ram Gopal has a twin brother called Shyam Gopal Bajaj aka Teja. Teja is a criminal who has taken lots of money from Crime Master Gogo (Shakti Kapoor). Teja hopes to land the riches himself by kidnapping his brother and posing as Ram. He has also planted his cronies Robert (Viju Khote) and Bhalla (Shehzad Khan) in the household.
Ram arrives in India & Teja plans to steal Ram's money converted in diamonds. Here, Ram sees through the real nature of Amar & Prem, thus declining Raveena's marriage to either of them. The duo plan to fake a kidnapping where they will heroically "rescue" Ram. Unknown to them, Teja has planned to kidnap Ram as well.
Teja succeeds in having Ram kidnapped. The boys go to rescue Ram, but Teja makes them believe that he is Ram and finally enters Ram's household. Initially, nobody suspects a thing, but the girls soon smell a rat. The boys have discovered real identities of the girls. Prem has fallen for real Raveena while Amar has fallen for real Karishma.
The girls tell their suspicions to the boys. The boys tail Teja and soon find out the truth. Here, Ram tricks Teja and escapes the prison. However, the boys mistake him for Teja, resulting in Ram being imprisoned again – with Amar & Prem. However, Amar & Prem succeed in convincing Robert & Bhalla that Ram is actually Teja.
The boys, along with Robert & Bhalla, stop Teja. However, Ram is kidnapped along with Raveena & Karishma. The climax takes place in Gogo's lair, where the boys try to control the situation along with Ram. In a comic standoff, the real motive of each villain is revealed. However, due to the smartness of the boys, police raid Gogo's lair, thus rounding up all the criminals. Ram finally decides to have the girls married to Amar & Prem.
Cast and crew
- Aamir Khan as Amar Manohar
- Salman Khan as Prem Bhopali
- Raveena Tandon as Karishma/Raveena
- Karisma Kapoor as Raveena/Karishma
- Paresh Rawal as Teja aka Shyam Gopal Bajaj/Ram Gopal Bajaj
- Shakti Kapoor as Crime Master Gogo
- Viju Khote as Robert
- Shehzad Khan as Vinod Bhalla
- Jagdeep as Bankelal Bhopali (Prem's dad)
- Deven Verma as Murli Manohar (Amar's dad)
- Mehmood as Johnny from Wah-Wah Productions
- Javed Khan as Anand Akela
- Ali Jut as Inspector ali
- Tiku Talsania as Inspector
- Harish Patel as SevaRam ji
- Juhi Chawla as herself (Guest appearance)
- Govinda as himself (Guest appearance)
- Singers – Asha Bhosle, Sadhana Sargam, Sapna Mukherjee, Abhijeet Bhattacharya, S.P. Balasubramaniam, Vicky Mehta, Mangal Singh
- Lyricist – Majrooh Sultanpuri
- Music Director – Tushar Bhatia
- Choreography – Saroj Khan
The film didn't do well at box-office, it recovered its cost mainly due to business from big cities, but didn't turned out to be a massive hit contrary to everyone's expectations. The major reason was the fikm was way ahead of its time and mid 90's was not a time for start to finish full comedy movies that involves no emotion, no drama or no seriousness at all. However, in subsequent years, it has achieved a cult classic status among Indian audiences. Each dialogue and character of the movie are immensely likeable and have terrific recall. On the video circuit and TV, it has become one of the most popular Indian movies over the years.
The film has four songs composed by Tushar Bhatia with lyrics by Majrooh Sultanpuri.
|1||"Do Mastanae"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Vicky Mehta||06:04|
|2||"Dil Karta Hai"||Mangal Singh||04:59|
|3||"Ye Raat Aur Ye Doori"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Asha Bhosle||05:12|
|4||"Ello Ello"||Vicky Mehta, Behroze Chaterjee||05:54|
|5||"Jaana Tune Jaana Nahin"*||Abhijeet Bhattacharya, Sadhana Sargam||04:35|
|6||"Shola Shola Tu Bhadke"*||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Sapna Mukherjee||05:02|
* Song was not included in the movie though appearing on the soundtrack.
Andaz Naya Naya is a Bollywood animated 3D film, which is a official remake of Andaz Apna Apna, but it has been shelved due to some reason. Producer Sidharth Jain began to question if the film would do any good in the box office because Indian animated films do not get good market, so Jain shelved the film after being 35% done.
On the completion of 20 years of Andaz Apna Apna, director Rajkumar Santoshi said in an interview that he is considering sequel of Andaz Apna Apna as demand for sequel is unbelievable. He said that bringing Aamir Khan and Salman Khan together may be economically and logistically impossible, so he may take young actors to reprise roles of Amar and Prem.
But On 20 June 2014 Director Rajkumar Santoshi, who is working on the sequel of Andaz Apna Apna, says both Salman Khan and Aamir Khan are ready to work in the second installment, and that he will repeat them if they produce the movie.
- "Andaz Apna Apna – Starring Aamir,Salman. Andaz Apna Apna's box office, news, reviews, video, pictures, and music soundtrack". Ibosnetwork.com. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "IMDb: Filmfare Awards: 1995".
- http://www.imdb.com/search/title?languages=hi%7C1&title_type=feature&num_votes=10000,&sort=user_rating,desc. Missing or empty
- "Salman Khan to lend voice for Andaz Naya Naya". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- "Andaz Naya Naya news". Koimoi.
- "Rajkumar Santoshi: Didn't know Andaz Apna Apna would be such a laugh riot". NDTV. 11 April 2014. Retrieved 12 April 2014.
- "Salman Khan, Aamir Khan ready to work in Andaz Apna Apna 2: Rajkumar Santoshi". Hindustan Times. 20 June 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.