|Member of Parliament
for South West Bedfordshire
7 June 2001
|Preceded by||David Madel|
27 April 1962 |
London, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Eton College
London School of Economics
|Profession||Business, Industry, Trade|
|Service/branch||Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (TA)|
|Years of service||1981-1994|
London-born, Selous was educated at Eton College and the London School of Economics, receiving a BSc in Industry and Trade in 1984. He was a member of the Territorial Army, a soldier in the Honourable Artillery Company and then an officer in the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, between 1981 and 1994. From 1988-94, he was a director of his family firm CNS Electronics (now CNS Farnell). From 1991-2001, he was an underwriter at Great Lakes insurance company.
Selous was first elected to the House of Commons in 2001, and had previously contested Sunderland North seat in 1997. He is a director and prominent member of the Conservative Christian Fellowship.
In 2006 Selous was promoted to Shadow Minister for Work and Pensions.
Selous voted in favour of the military campaign in Iraq based upon the assurances of the Attorney General Lord Goldsmith as to the legality of the action (Hansard, Iraq: Legality of Armed Force 17 March 2003), who "Has clearly advised the Government that the military campaign in Iraq is clearly legal" - (Selous, 31 March 2003).
Selous once provoked ridicule by making a tweet (subsequently deleted) supporting the removal of benefit entitlement from non-English speakers: "Strongly support the loss of benefits unless claimants lean [sic] English." 
- "Election 2010 - Bedfordshire South West". BBC News. 7 May 2010. Archived from the original on 1 May 2010. Retrieved 13 May 2010.
- "Andrew Selous compared to 'Homosexuality - Equal rights'". Publicwhip.org.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "Andrew Selous". BBC News. 2002-10-23. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- Published on 28/05/2010 17:41 (2010-05-28). "Parliamentary post for SW Beds MP". Bedfordtoday.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- Andrew Selous MP Official site
- Andrew Selous: Electoral history and profile The Guardian
- Andrew Selous MP TheyWorkForYou.com
- Voting Record — Andrew Selous MP, South West Bedfordshire (11216) The Public Whip
- Andrew Selous MP BBC Democracy Live, 5 June 2010
- Concerns over housing growth BBC News, 6 November 2003
- Swiss assisted suicide 'may be illegal' BBC News, 16 April 2003
- MP challenges Guides' age policy BBC News, 25 January 2002
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir David Madel
|Member of Parliament for South West Bedfordshire