|Auxiliary bishop of Mary Most Holy in Astana, Titular bishop of Celerina|
|Church||Roman Catholic Church|
|See||Mary Most Holy in Astana|
|In office||2011 — present|
|Born||7 April 1961
Tokmok, Kirghiz SSR, Soviet Union
|Previous post||Auxiliary bishop of Karaganda|
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Athanasius Schneider (born Anton Schneider on 7 April 1961) is a Roman Catholic bishop who is the auxiliary bishop of Astana, Kazakhstan and titular bishop of Celerina. He is a member of the Canons Regular of the Holy Cross of Coimbra.
Anton Schneider was born in Tokmok, Kirghiz SSR in the Soviet Union. In 1973, shortly after making his first Holy Communion by the hand of Bl. Oleksa Zaryckyj, priest and martyr, he left with his family for Germany. When he joined the Canons Regular of the Holy Cross of Coimbra, a Catholic religious order, he was given the religious name Athanasius. He was ordained a priest on 25 March 1990. Starting in 1999, he taught Patristics at Mary, Mother of the Church Seminary in Karaganda. On 2 June 2006 he was consecrated Bishop at the Altar of the Chair of Saint Peter in the Vatican by Angelo Cardinal Sodano. In 2011 he was transferred to the position of auxiliary bishop in the Archdiocese of Astana. Bishop Athanasius Schneider is the General Secretary of the Bishops' Conference of Kazakhstan.
Bishop Schneider is well known for his defense of the traditional form of receiving Holy Communion (kneeling, on the tongue) in Catholic liturgy. This is the theme of his book Dominus est, published in Italian, and since translated into English, German, Estonian, Lithuanian, Polish, Hungarian and Chinese. The book itself contains a foreword written by Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith, then the Secretary of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, the current Archbishop of Colombo and Metropolitan head of the church in Sri Lanka.
Bishop Schneider encourages Catholics who truly believe they are receiving Christ in the Blessed Sacrament should kneel and receive Communion on their tongues: "The awareness of the greatness of the eucharistic mystery is demonstrated in a special way by the manner in which the body of the Lord is distributed and received".
English liturgical scholar and commentator Alcuin Reid wrote a noteworthy review of Dominus est in The Catholic Herald: "Bishop Athanasius Schneider, a patristic scholar, appointed a bishop by Pope Benedict in 2006, has raised his voice in prophetic call for the western Church to recall the importance, if not the necessity, of returning to the previous discipline of the reception of Holy Communion kneeling and on the tongue."
Currently in the Catholic Church some of the faithful have adopted the practice of standing and receiving communion on the hand. Since 2008 Pope Benedict XVI has started to give Holy Communion in the traditional manner in all Papal Masses.
Call for a papal document on Vatican II
At a theological conference in Rome in December 2010, Bishop Schneider proposed the need for "a new Syllabus" (recalling the 1864 Syllabus of Errors), in which papal teaching authority would correct erroneous interpretations of the documents of the Second Vatican Council.
- Catholic Hierarchy: Bishop Athanasius Schneider, O.R.C.. Retrieved 2009-12-11
- Diocesan Profiles Series: Diocese of Karaganda Retrieved 2010-02-21
- Catholic Culture: Historical argument favors Communion on the tongue. Retrieved 2009-12-11
- Dominus est - It Is the Lord: Reflections of a Bishop of Central Asia on Holy Communion (ISBN 978-0977884612)
- Vatican Newspaper Article Says Catholics Should Receive Communion Kneeling and on the Tongue. Retrieved 2010-02-21
- The Catholic Herald: The little book that will cause a great storm. Retrieved 2009-12-11
- Summorum blog (Finnish): Bishop Athanasius Schneider ORC in Estonia. Retrieved 2009-12-11
- "Bishop calls for new document correcting misinterpretations of Vatican II". Catholic Culture (Catholic World News). January 21, 2011.
- In Caelo et in Terra: "Bishop Schneider speaks again, this time on Vatican II" January 27, 2011
- EWTN:"Proposals for a Correct Reading of the Second Vatican Council" by Bishop Athanasius Schneider, ORC Given at a conference of cardinals and bishops held in Rome, December 17, 2010
- Schneider, Athanasius, "Propter sanctam ecclesiam suam" : die Kirche als Geschöpf, Frau und Bau im Bussunterricht des Pastor Hermae (Institutum Patristicum Augustinianum 1999 ISBN 88-7961-030-9)
- Schneider, Athanasius, Dominus est, it is the Lord : reflections of a Bishop of central Asia on Holy Communion (Newman House Press 2008 ISBN 978-0-9778846-1-2)