Bank of South Sudan
|Bank of South Sudan|
|Headquarters||Juba, South Sudan|
|Governor||Kornelio Koriom Mayiek|
|Central bank of||South Sudan|
|Currency||South Sudanese Pound|
|ISO 4217 Code||SSP|
The Bank of South Sudan is the central bank of the Republic of South Sudan. Established in July 2011, by presidential decree, it replaced the now defunct Bank of Southern Sudan, a branch of the Bank of Sudan, which had served as the central bank of Southern Sudan, during the period between February 2005 until July 2011. The bank is fully owned by the Government of South Sudan.
Organization and Governance
The Bank of South Sudan is the central bank of the Republic of South Sudan. It is headed by the Governor of the Bank of South Sudan. The Bank is the only institution that is constitutionally mandated to issue the South Sudanese pound.
The main functions of the Bank of South Sudan are:
- To function as the central bank of South Sudan.
- To establish and supervise conventional banking services in South Sudan including licenses to financial institutions according to rules and regulations issued by the Board of Directors.
- The management of the bank is under the Governor of the Bank of South Sudan, who will manage the conventional banking system in South Sudan according to prevailing rules, regulation and policies.
- To act as the bank to the Government of South Sudan, as an adviser and agent thereof in monetary and financial affairs.
- In the discharge of the duties, responsibilities and mandates thereby required and imposed upon it, to exercise the power and supervisory authority so conferred, in a manner consistent with the ordinances and regulations stipulated in the laws that govern the bank.
- The Bank of South Sudan shall be in charge of supervising and regulating commercial banks in South Sudan.
- Kornelio Koriom Mayiek - Governor
- John Dor Majok - 1st Deputy Governor for Banking Supervision Research & Statistics
- Jamal Abdallah Wani - 2nd Deputy Governor for Banking Operation Administration & Finance
- Mathiang Ajing Jupur - Director for Administration and Financial Affairs
- Othom Rago Ajak - Director of Banking Operation and Foreign Exchange
Governors of CBSS
- South Sudanese Pound
- Sudanese Pound
- List of banks in South Sudan
- Economy of South Sudan
- List of central banks
- Banking in South Sudan
- "South Sudan central bank governor replaced by deputy - Economy - Business - Ahram Online". English.ahram.org.eg. 2011-08-16. Retrieved 2013-01-27.
- "South Sudan establishes Central Bank as it receives its new currency » Breaking News | Wire Update News | News Wires". Wireupdate.com. 2011-07-15. Retrieved 2013-01-27.
- "BBC News - South Sudan's Salva Kiir sacks bank chief Elijah Malok". Bbc.co.uk. 2011-08-17. Retrieved 2013-01-27.