Battle Without Honor or Humanity
|Single by Tomoyasu Hotei|
|Released||June 30, 2003|
|Label||EMI Music Japan|
"Battle Without Honor or Humanity" (バトル･ウィズアウト･オナー・オア・ヒューマニティー?) is an instrumental music piece by Japanese rock musician Tomoyasu Hotei. It was originally featured in the 2000 film New Battles Without Honor and Humanity (also known as Another Battle) by Junji Sakamoto, for which Hotei wrote the soundtrack and also stars in as an actor.
On the film's soundtrack, the piece is titled "New Battles Without Honor and Humanity Theme" (新・仁義なき戦いのテーマ?). A live performance of the song appears on Hotei's 2001 live album, Rock the Future Tour 2000-2001. The piece was introduced to Western audiences three years later in Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill Volume 1 and its soundtrack, where it received the title "Battle Without Honor or Humanity". Three versions of the track are featured on Hotei's 2004 album Electric Samurai. It was released as a single on June 30, 2004, under the title "Another Battle" (アナザー・バトル?).
Single track listing
- "Battle Without Honor or Humanity - Original Mix"
- "Battle Without Honor or Humanity - Samurai Mix"
- "Battle Without Honor or Humanity - Guitar Karaoke"
Personnel for 2004 single version;
- Tomoyasu Hotei - guitar, bass, keyboards
- Toshiyuki Kishi (Abingdon Boys School) - programming, audio edit
- Yoichi Murata - horn arrangements, trombone
- Masahiko - trumpet
Use in popular media
- New Battles Without Honor and Humanity
- Kill Bill Volume 1
- Shrek the Third
- Hotel for Dogs
- Team America: World Police
- Made of Honor
- The Dictator
- My Name Is Earl (season 1)
- Dancing With the Stars (season 10 finale)
- Raising Hope (Season 1 Episode 22)
- "The Voice" ("Vocal Kombat" featuring the show's judges in hotel lobby battle scenes) - aired during Super Bowl XLVI, Feb. 5, 2012 
- Dance Dance Revolution SuperNOVA
- Pop'n Music Carnival (13)
- Gran Turismo HD by Polyphony Digital (trailer for PS3)
- Rocksmith 2014 DLC
- Colin Cowherd radio show syndicated in the United States via ESPN Radio
- The Chris Moyles Show, former breakfast show on BBC Radio 1 - used to introduce their 'Half Time' feature on the show at 9am
- d20 Docking Bay on the Order 66 podcast
- Used as the theme from The Tom Sullivan Show, a talk radio program syndicated in the United States via NEWSTALK 910 AM in San Francisco, CA from 12PM-3PM.
- Used on alice 105.9 FM Denver weather announcement
- played before Pittsburgh Panthers' kickoffs at home Pittsburgh Panthers football games as well as home Pittsburgh Steelers games
- played when Motherwell FC takes to the field at their home ground, Fir Park
- played at Bristol City FC's home games at Ashton Gate Stadium
- various professional wrestlers have used it for their theme music. Paul London used it during part of his tenure in Ring of Honor while Hallowicked has used it outside of his home promotion of CHIKARA Pro, most notably in IWA Mid-South's 2006 Ted Petty Invitational tournament. Yukio Sakaguchi has started to use it since beginning his career in 2012 with Dramatic Dream Team and previously used it in 2 of his mixed martial arts fights in the Pancrase and Shooto promotions.
- The Kansas State Wildcats men's basketball team use "Battle Without Honor or Humanity" for their home games at Fred Bramlage Coliseum.
- New York Giants Pre-game kickoffs at Metlife Stadium
Background music for TV shows:
- The X Factor USA used as a dramatic music in many critical moments of the show.
|This 2000s song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|