Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham
The diocese covers 847 square miles (2,190 km2) including the whole of Nottinghamshire and a small area of South Yorkshire. The see is in the town of Southwell where the seat is located at the Cathedral and Collegiate Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary (also known as Southwell Minster), which was elevated to cathedral status in 1884.
The diocese was created in 1884 under Queen Victoria. Until 2005 it was known simply by the name "Southwell"; Nottingham was added to the title in that year. The see is vacant; the most recent bishop was the Right Reverend Paul Butler, the 11th Lord Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham, who signs + Paul Southwell. Bishop Paul was installed at Southwell Minster on 27 February 2010 and translated to Durham on the confirmation of his election to that see on 20 January 2014. The acting diocesan bishop is Richard Inwood (retired Bishop suffragan of Bedford), since 9 April 2014; Inwood, an honorary assistant bishop of the diocese, took the role because the Bishop of Sherwood (who, being the suffragan, would normally be acting bishop in a vacancy) resigned it (remaining suffragan) due to ill health.
There are 314 church buildings in the Diocese.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Southwell|
|1884||1904||George Ridding||Formerly Headmaster of Winchester College|
(after 1923: Sir Edwyn Hoskyns Bt)
|Born 22 May 1851 in Aston Tirrold, Berkshire. Died 1925|
|1926||1928||Bernard Heywood||Appointed Bishop of Hull 1931; later Bishop of Ely|
|1928||1941||Henry Mosley||Formerly Bishop of Stepney|
|1941||1964||Russell Barry DSO DD||Born 1890. Died 1976.|
|1964||1970||Gordon Savage MA||Formerly Bishop of Buckingham|
|1970||1985||Denis Wakeling||Born 12 December 1918. Died 10 October 2004.|
|1985||1988||Michael Whinney||Formerly Bishop of Aston|
|1988||1999||Patrick Burnet Harris||Formerly Bishop of Northern Argentina and Secretary of the Partnership for World Mission.|
|1999||2005||George Cassidy||Enthroned 11 September 1999. Episcopal title changed to Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham in 2005.|
|Bishops of Southwell and Nottingham|
|2010||20 January 2014||Paul Butler ||Formerly Bishop of Southampton; translated to Durham on 20 January 2014.|
|20 January 2014||9 April 2014||Tony Porter, Acting Bishop (Bishop suffragan of Sherwood)||Resigned commission due to ill health; remains as suffragan.|
|9 April 2014||present||Richard Inwood, Acting Bishop (honorary assistant bishop)||Retired Bishop suffragan of Bedford.|
- Crockford's Clerical Directory, 100th edition, (2007), Church House Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- The Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham. (Official website). Retrieved on 18 November 2008.
- Diocese of Southwell Press Release — Drummers and dancers to welcome new Bishop
- Archbishop of York – Bishop of Durham Election Confirmed (Accessed 20 January 2014)
- Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham – Bishop Richard Inwood takes temporary charge (Accessed 10 April 2014)
- The Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham. (Official website). Retrieved on 18 November 2008.
- Bishop of Willesden announces Bishop Paul's new post on Twitter - http://twitter.com/pete173/status/2385887470
- Diocese of Southwell & Nottingham – Bishops (Archived, 2 January 2014) (Accessed 10 April 2014)
- "Historical successions: Southwell". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 17 July 2012.