|Studio album by HIM|
|Released||14 September 2007 (Germany, Finland, Sweden & Ireland)
15 September 2007 (Puerto Rico)
17 September 2007 (International)
18 September 2007 (United States & Canada)
|Recorded||June 2006 - March 2007 at Finnvox Studios, Helsinki.|
|Producer||Tim Palmer / Hiili Hiilesmaa|
Venus Doom is the sixth studio album by Finnish band, HIM, released on 14 September 2007 (Germany, Finland, Sweden and Ireland), 17 September 2007 internationally and 18 September 2007 in the United States.
On 26 September, the album debuted at #12 in the U.S., with 38,000 copies sold. This is a record for a Finnish act. It made #31 in the UK. In Finland, Venus Doom peaked at #2, and in Germany it debuted at #3. As of November 2011, it has sold more than 1,000,000 copies worldwide.
At the 50th annual Grammy Awards, Matt Taylor and Ville Valo, for HIM, were nominated for "Best Boxed/Special Limited Edition packaging" for Venus Doom, but lost to What It Is!: Funky Soul and Rare Grooves (1967-1977) (performed by various artists and artwork by Masaki Koike).
Sounds and themes
Venus Doom has both the longest and shortest running HIM tracks to date; the longest being "Sleepwalking Past Hope" (10:03) and the shortest being the acoustic "Song or Suicide" (1:10). The album was produced by Tim Palmer (Ozzy Osbourne, Dredg) and Hiili Hiilesmaa (The 69 Eyes, Apocalyptica). Ville Valo told Kerrang! magazine that there is a concept in a couple of the tracks written during the same period. Venus Doom is the first HIM studio album to feature a song featuring nothing but an acoustic guitar, aside from vocals.
The album has nine tracks to represent the nine circles of hell from Dante's The Divine Comedy. The acoustic version of "Bleed Well" references this, featuring a verse that was dropped from the final recording. The verse contained the line, "We'll descend to the ninth and last, where we're judged," referencing the next track, the ninth track "Cyanide Sun". 
The album has been described as “…frontman Ville Valo once again leading his ensemble through a set of lovelorn metal tunes. This time around, however, the revered Scandinavian agro-goth band tones down the atmospheric keyboard parts, allowing Lindstrom's stinging guitar work, which often nods to veteran hard-rock six-stringer Zakk Wylde to shine through, resulting in one of HIM's heaviest albums.”
With Venus Doom at the helm, HIM, first time in their career, received attention from some of the biggest music publication’s in the US, including Rolling Stone, who gave the album a 3 out of 5, stating "The melodies tend toward the lush, while underneath, Valo's bandmates rock with fury and efficiency..."
Spin magazine said of the album “Valo's steel-melting baritone, dipping so eerily low that you can actually feel it, infuses Venus Doom with melody and drama..."
Q magazine said of the band “[T]he Eurogoth quintet has hardly ditched their love of metal melody.... Their chart-friendly clothes fit them well..."
Uncut said of the band’s direction "HIM mainman Ville Valo gets closer to his dream fusion of Depeche Mode and Ozzy, while still remembering to add some distinctly gothic beauty”
The cover art was painted by artist David Harouni. Ville Valo purchased one of Harouni's paintings at New Orleans' Harouni Gallery and later asked Harouni if it could be used as the cover. The band launched a contest on their Street Team site, asking fans to use the painting as the base for the Venus Doom cover. The artwork by Harouni is used for the regular edition of the album.
HIM filmed the music video for the first single off the album, "The Kiss of Dawn" starting 21 June in the Los Angeles area. Meiert Avis, who directed HIM's previous video "Wings of a Butterfly", was the director. The production team put out a casting call for a "beautiful girl (model type) to perform in the lead role of the video". Auditions were held on 19 June. Ville Valo stated that the song "The Kiss of Dawn" was for a "close friend who committed suicide soon after the band wrapped the recording sessions for Dark Light".
The second single was "Bleed Well", which was released on 5 December 2007.
All songs are composed by Ville Valo.
|2.||"Love in Cold Blood"||5:55|
|3.||"Passion's Killing Floor"||5:11|
|4.||"The Kiss of Dawn"||5:55|
|5.||"Sleepwalking Past Hope"||10:03|
|6.||"Dead Lovers' Lane"||4:29|
|7.||"Song or Suicide"||1:11|
|1.||"Love In Cold Blood (Special K RMX)"||4:25|
|2.||"Dead Lover's Lane (Special c616 RMX)"||4:29|
|3.||"Bleed Well (Acoustic VRS)"||3:53|
|iTunes Bonus Tracks|
|10.||"Killing Loneliness (Live)"||4:21|
|11.||"Wings of a Butterfly (Live)"||3:19|
Japan Promo DVD
- The kiss of dawn (Video)
- E.P.K - Interview (Video)
- Ville Hermanni Valo — lead vocals, acoustic guitar on "Song or Suicide"
- Mikko Viljami "Linde" Lindström — lead guitar
- Mikko Henrik Julius "Migé" Paananen — bass guitar
- Janne Johannes "Emerson Burton" Puurtinen — keyboards
- Mika Kristian "Gas Lipstick" Karppinen — drums
- Producers: Hiili Hiilesmaa, Tim Palmer
- Engineers: Hiili Hiilesmaa, Tim Palmer
- Mixing: Tim Palmer
- Mixing Assistant: Jamie Seyberth
- Mastering: Ted Jensen
- A&R: Michael Goldstone
- Art direction: Matt Taylor, Ville Valo
- Design: Matt Taylor
- Photography: Ville Valo, Tim Palmer, Matt Taylor, Ville Juurikkala
- Cover Painting: David Harouni
Chart and certifications
- Venus Doom at AllMusic
- [dead link]
- "NME Album Reviews - Him". Nme.Com. 2007-09-20. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Rolling Stone Music | Album Reviews". Rollingstone.com. 2012-11-19. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "HIM - Venus Doom Review". antiMusic.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "HIM - Venus Doom Review". IGN. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "HIM - Venus Doom (album review)". Sputnikmusic. 2007-09-16. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Default Parallels Plesk Panel Page". Melodic.net. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "HIM.html - The Gauntlet News". Thegauntlet.com. 2007-05-15. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Radio 1 - Chart - The Official UK Top 40 Albums Chart". BBC. 2012-11-18. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- [dead link]
- "HIM: New 'Venus Doom' Release Date | News @". Ultimate-guitar.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "HIM html". The Gauntlet. 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- Harris, Chris. "HIM Say New LP Will 'Explode Your Speakers'; Want Bam To Helm Clip". Retrieved 2007-04-07.
- [dead link]
- "Ville Valo | Him Find Album Cover Art In New Orleans Gallery". Contactmusic.com. 2007-07-17. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - H.I.M. Draws Influences From 'SABBATH, Old-School METALLICA' For New CD". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - H.I.M. To Film New Video This Month". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Transformers Soundtrack Hits July 3rd - IGN". Music.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "HIM's New Album "Venus Doom" Enters Billboard Chart at Number 12; Finnish Rock Band's Highest Debut to Date With More Than 40,000 Copies Sold". Marketwire.com. 2007-09-26. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Musiikkituottajat - Tilastot - Suomen virallinen lista - Artistit". Ifpi.fi. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Ελληνικό Chart - Εβδομάδα 41/2007" (in Greek). IFPI Greece. Archived from the original on 27 October 2007. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- "HIM - Longplay-Chartverfolgung" (in German). musicline.de. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- Steffen Hung. "HIM - Venus Doom". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- Steffen Hung. "HIM - Venus Doom". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- Steffen Hung. "HIM - Venus Doom". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- Steffen Hung. "HIM - Venus Doom". swisscharts.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- Steffen Hung. "HIM - Venus Doom". austriancharts.at. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Top 100 Albumes - Semana 38: del 17.09.07 al 23.09.07" (PDF) (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- Steffen Hung. "HIM - Venus Doom". italiancharts.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Oficjalna lista sprzedaży :: OLIS - Official Retail Sales Chart". OLIS. 2007-09-23. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "Ireland Albums Top 75 (September 20, 2007) - Music Charts". Acharts.us. 2007-09-20. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "UK Albums Top 75 (September 23, 2007) - Music Charts". Acharts.us. 2007-09-23. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- Steffen Hung. "HIM - Venus Doom". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- Steffen Hung. "HIM - Venus Doom". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "ＨＩＭ-リリース-ORICON STYLE ミュージック". Oricon.co.jp. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- The first web page presents the sales figures, the second presents the certification limits:
- "Greek album certifications – HIM – Venus Doom" (in Greek). IFPI Greece.