Bli Bli, Queensland
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
|Population||6,283 (2011 census)|
|• Density||293.6/km2 (760.4/sq mi)|
|Area||21.4 km2 (8.3 sq mi)|
|Location||9 km (6 mi) NW of Maroochydore|
|LGA(s)||Sunshine Coast Region|
A few kilometres inland from the Maroochydore urban area, Bli Bli rises above the wetlands which were, for many years, the home of the Sunshine Coast sugar cane industry. Whilst this industry is all but gone, state government legislation ensures the wetlands will remain an undeveloped "Green Space" (See Qld Plan).
Bli Bli Provisional School opened on 2 April 1901, becoming a State School in 1909.
In March 1973, Bli Bli Castle was opened. The Norman/medieval-style castle was built as a tourist attraction. The Castle now houses medieval paraphernalia as well as a large doll display and coffee shop.
In the 2011 Census the population of Bli Bli is 6,283, 50.6% female and 49.4% male.
The median/average age of the Bli Bli population is 39 years of age, 2 years above the Australian average.
79.3% of people living in Bli Bli were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were England 5.4%, New Zealand 4.2%, Scotland 0.7%, Germany 0.7%, South Africa 0.6%.
93.2% of people speak English as their first language 0.5% German, 0.4% Italian, 0.2% Tagalog, 0.2% Japanese, 0.1% Dutch.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Bli Bli (SSC)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Bli Bli (town) (entry 3174)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Bli Bli (locality) (entry 47165)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Agency ID4856, Bli Bli State School". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "History of the Castle". Bli Bli Castle. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Horton Park Golf Club". Retrieved 21 October 2014.
|This article about the geography of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|