Old Calhoun County Courthouse
|Motto: "The Kingdom Of Opportunity"|
Location in Calhoun County and the state of Florida
|• Total||3.2 sq mi (8.3 km2)|
|• Land||3.2 sq mi (8.3 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||62 ft (19 m)|
|• Density||763.8/sq mi (294.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0279006|
Blountstown is named for John Blount, a Creek Indian Chief who served as a guide for General Andrew Jackson during his invasion of Spanish Florida in 1818. This invasion caused the United States to purchase Florida from Spain and the territory became a part of the U.S. in 1821.
Blountstown is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2). 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2) of it is land and 0.31% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,444 people, 913 households, and 595 families residing in the city. The population density was 767.2 people per square mile (295.8/km²). There were 1,046 housing units at an average density of 328.4 per square mile (126.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 35.18% White, 61.79% African American, 1.27% Native American, 0.33% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.29% from other races, and 1.06% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.70% of the population.
There were 913 households out of which 37.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 30.6% were married couples living together, 41.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 44.8% were non-families. 31.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.2% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 22.1% from 25 to 44, 21.3% from 45 to 64, and 25.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 65.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 61.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $13,271, and the median income for a family was $20,880. Males had a median income of $18,313 versus $14,000 for females. The per capita income for the city was $11,498. About 38.5% of families and 44.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 63.6% of those under age 18 and 57.7% of those age 65 or over.
- Patricia Dane - Hollywood actress of the 1940s & early 1950s. Best known role as Jennitt Hicks in 1941's Life Begins For Andy Hardy. Former wife of bandleader Tommy Dorsey. Died in Blountstown in 1995.
- Carey Loftin (1914–1997) - Hollywood stuntman and actor, born in Blountstown
- Fuller Warren - 30th governor of Florida
- Elam Stoltzfus - Emmy-winning cinematographer and member of the Florida Wildlife Corridor Expedition
- Socialburn - band
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- History of Blountstown, Florida: The Story of Chief Blount & the City of Blountstown. Calhoun County Chamber Of Commerce. 2010-05-24. URL:http://www.calhounco.org/history-blountstown.cfm. Accessed: 2010-05-24. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5pxfsgYYh)
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- The County Record newspaper that serves Blountstown, Florida is available in full-text with images in Florida Digital Newspaper Library