|Birth name||Bridget Kelly|
April 8, 1986 |
New York City, New York, United States
|Genres||Pop, R&B, soul|
Bridget Kelly (born April 8, 1986), is an American singer-songwriter from New York City, New York. In 2008, Kelly, a pop and R&B recording artist, who has written songs for fellow American singers such as Kelly Clarkson, secured a recording contract with American rapper and hip-hop mogul Jay-Z's record label, Roc Nation.
1986-2010: Early life and career beginnings
Bridget Kelly, who is of a biracial background, was born on April 8, 1986, in New York City. She is a graduate of Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts in Manhattan. In 2008, she signed a record deal with Jay-Z's Roc Nation. Kelly has regularly filled in for Alicia Keys, when performing the song "Empire State of Mind" with Jay-Z, including performances on the Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, as well as Later...with Jools Holland show, the Coldplay, Viva la Vida tour, and the 9/11 memorial service. Kelly also performed with Jay Z during a performance at the MTV Europe Music Awards 2009. She performed "Empire State of Mind" at Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival as well as Bonnaroo Music Festival in summer 2010, with Jay-Z. Kelly also performed "Empire State of Mind" with Jay-Z on Saturday Night Live on May 8, 2010, as well as Rock am Ring on June 4 and T in the Park on June 12, 2010. She subsequently performed with Jay-Z during "Empire State of Mind" at Peace & Love in Borlänge, Sweden. Also at Summer Sonic 2010 in Chiba, Japan in August 2010 at Chiba Marine Stadium. Also at Yankee Stadium, September 13, 2010.
Kelly made her first magazine cover appearance in the September 2010 issue of Honey Magazine. In the interview to go along with the cover shoot, she describes her music as a fusion of R&B, soul and rock with influences coming from Alicia Keys, Alanis Morissette and Pink.
2011-present: Every Girl and Cut to... Bridget Kelly
In early 2011, Kelly and her production team had approached Frank Ocean to write a song for her debut studio album. The song in question eventually became "Thinking Bout Forever", which Kelly commented; “it’s sort of a vulnerable track and I wanted everyone to feel me on it.” In July 2011, Roc Nation stated on the official site that Kelly is closing her album up and the first single would be the Frank Ocean-penned "Thinking Bout Forever". On July 28, 2011, Ocean leaked his demo version of the song onto his tumblr account, with the title reading "Thinking Bout You". The song was then promptly taken down by Ocean.
Kelly has worked with high-profile producers such as The-Dream, Ne-Yo, Jerry Wonda, James Fauntleroy II, Ryan Leslie, and Shea Taylor for her debut studio album. Prior to the album’s release, Kelly released her first extended play (EP), titled Every Girl, on October 19, 2011. Kelly's version of "Thinkin Bout You," found its way onto her debut EP Every Girl. Kelly was ultimately fine with Ocean's decision, however she noted that she didn't like how most people thought Ocean's version was the original, and how people assumed her version was a cover version. About the confusion of the track, Kelly stated: "Now that push has come to shove, we're going to let the song have a life of its own. I think it's an amazing, well-written record. Frank Ocean is incredibly talented, I will never say anything against that. But at the same time, you know, he's going to do what he wants to do, he's an artist as well."
In August 2012, her debut single "Special Delivery", was released to Urban radio stations. Her second single "Street Dreamin", features American rapper Kendrick Lamar and was released on May 21, 2013. Both songs were Top 40 hits on the Mediabase Urban Airplay charts. On November 26, 2013, Kelly announced she would be releasing her second EP and revealed her debut album was pushed back to a 2014 release. The EP includes six tracks as well as contributions from Jerry Wonda (“Goosebumps”), Pop Wansel, Sam Dew, Elijah Blake, and Cri$tyle. “I speak a lot about love and my feelings on these songs,” said Bridget of the follow-up to her 2011 EP Every Girl. “I speak to those who have been in relationships, the good and the bad, and that in the midst of turmoil, finding something you can smile about.” The EP, titled Cut to... Bridget Kelly, includes her debut single "Special Delivery" and was made available as a free download on December 17, via her official website.
- All or Nothing (2014)
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Special Delivery"||2012||—||51||—||—||79||—||—||—||102||Cut to... Bridget Kelly|
(featuring Kendrick Lamar)
|2013||—||89||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||All or Nothing|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
As featured artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
(K Koke featuring Bridget Kelly)
|2013||52||—||I Ain't Perfect|
|"Let Somebody Love You"
(2face Idibia featuring Bridget Kelly)
|2014||—||—||Away and Beyond: The Ascension|
|"—" denotes single that did not chart or was not released.|
|"Take The World"||2010||Tinchy Stryder||Third Strike|||
|"Gotta Get Mine"||2013||Ai||Moriagaro|||
Featured music videos
|"Take The World"||2010||Adam Powell & Kwasi Danquah III|||
- "Who’s That Girl? Meet Jay-Z’s Backup Singer Bridget Kelly | Complex Blog". Complex.com. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- *Please enter your name. "In House with Bridget Kelly: How Jay-Z, Lady Gaga Helped Singer Find Her Voice". Theboombox.com. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- "Bridget Kelly Shares Her Story At Hilton Checkers Los Angeles".
- "A Tribe Called Next » Blog Archive » Who is Bridget Kelly?". Blog.atribecallednext.com. September 22, 2009. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- Iandoli, Kathy (September 12, 2009). "Behind The Velvet Rope: Jay-Z At MSG 9/11 | Hip Hop News". HipHopDX.com. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- "Jay-Z "Empire State of Mind" (Jonathan Ross)". Rap Radar. September 18, 2009. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- "Video: Jay-Z Performs on ‘Jonathan Ross’". Rap-Up.com. September 18, 2009. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- YouTube – Jay-Z – Empire State of Mind, Live @ Wembley
- Staff (2011-12-07). "Thinkin Bout You". Rolling Stone. Wenner Media. Retrieved 2011-12-09.
- Andrew Martin (2012-03-22). "Video: Bridget Kelly Talks Confusion Over Thinking About You". Prefix. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- "Briget Kelly Talks Roc Nation debut". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. 2012-03-17. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- Bridget Kelly – Thinking about forever. Roc Nation.
- Fitzmaurice, Larry (2011-07-28). Video: Frank Ocean: New Frank Ocean: Thinking About You. Pitchfork Media. Retrieved on 2011-11-123.
- New music Bridget Kelly – Every girl EP. Rap-Up. October 19, 2011.
- "Bridget Kelly Announces “Cut To…Bridget Kelly” EP & Pushes Debut Album Back to 2014". Kempire Daily. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- "New Music: Bridget Kelly – ‘Cut to…Bridget Kelly’ [EP]". Rap-Up.com. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- "Bridget Kelly Returns With Cut…To Bridget Kelly EP". Rapfix.mtv.com. 2013-12-11. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- "FreEP: Bridget Kelly "Every Girl"". Complex. 2011-10-19. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- "Special Delivery – Single by Bridget Kelly". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved December 22, 2012.
- "Street Dreamin (feat. Kendrick Lamar) – Single by Bridget Kelly". iTunes Store. Apple. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "K Koke > UK Charts". officialcharts.com/ Official Charts Company.
- Peak positions for singles in Scotland:
- Osagie Alonge (13 April 2014). "Jay Z’s protégé Bridget Kelly in Nigeria, records with 2face Idibia". Nigerian Entertainment Today. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "iTunes Preview > "Take the World" – Third Strike > Tinchy Stryder & Bridget Kelly". iTunes. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "MORIAGARO (初回生産限定盤:もりあがろうプライス) [Limited Edition]". Amazon Japan (in Japanese). Retrieved July 4, 2013.
- Tinchy Stryder’s Take The World featuring Bridget Kelly by Adam Powell. www.promonews.tv. November 22, 2010. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bridget Kelly.|