Broadway Shopping Centre
Broadway Shopping Centre is a large shopping centre in Sydney, located in the Broadway locality. It features a Kmart, Coles, Target, Aldi, Rebel Sport, Dymocks Booksellers, Harvey Norman, Harris Farm Markets, Hoyts 12 screen cinemas, a 500-seat food court, and over 100 specialty shops.
The Broadway shopping centre is located in one of the two former Grace Bros Broadway buildings which opened in 1923, the other building now housing university student accommodation. Walker Corporation undertook the restoration of the buildings to include university student accommodation and a shopping centre in 1997. The shopping centre opened in 1998 and was owned and managed by Walker Corporation until its sale to Mirvac in December 2006. In 2007, an additional floor of shops was added to the original centre. On 12 February 2008, just after 1:30 pm a fire was reported due to an electrical substation fire in the lower levels of the shopping centre. No one was injured, however emergency services rescued shoppers trapped in lifts, which had no power due to the fire. On 17 June 2012, centre security guard Hans Schulz was kicked to death after disturbing two intruders who had broken into a Wendy's ice cream kiosk on the ground floor of the building.
- "Grace Bros. Department Store". Sydney Architecture. 2007. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Broadway Shopping Centre". Completed Projects. Walker Corporation. 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Broadway shopping centre fire". Incident Updates. Fire and Rescue NSW. 12 February 2008. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- Staff writer (12 February 2008). "Sydney shopping centre evacuated after fire". ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- Rubinsztein-Dunlop, Sean (18 June 2012). "Bail refused over Sydney security guard's death". ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Retrieved 27 April 2014.