|Noble lady of Eastern Wu|
|Other names||Bu Lianshi (traditional Chinese: 步練師; simplified Chinese: 步练师; pinyin: Bù Liànshī; Wade–Giles: Pu Lien-shih)|
Lady Bu was from Huaiyin County (淮陰縣), Linhuai Commandery (臨淮郡), which is in present-day Huai'an, Jiangsu. She was born sometime in the late Eastern Han dynasty. She was a relative of Bu Zhi. When she was young, her mother brought her from Huaiyin to Lujiang Commandery (廬江郡; around present-day Anqing, Anhui). In 199, Lujiang was conquered by the warlord Sun Ce, who controlled the territories in the Jiangdong region (also called "Wu", covering present-day southeastern China), after which Lady Bu moved from Lujiang to Jiangdong. In Jiangdong, Lady Bu was noticed by Sun Ce's younger brother, Sun Quan, for her beauty and she became Sun Quan's concubine. Sun Quan favoured her the most among all his wives. She bore Sun Quan two daughters: Sun Luban (孫魯班) and Sun Luyu (孫魯育).
Lady Bu was known to be very accepting towards Sun Quan's other wives and she did not show any signs of jealousy towards them. As such, she remained in her husband's favour in the long term. In 229, when Sun Quan declared himself 'Emperor' and established the state of Eastern Wu, he wanted to instate Lady Bu as the empress even though his subjects nominated Lady Xu to be the empress instead. Sun Quan eventually agreed to his subjects' suggestion. Despite so, in the following ten years or so, the imperial family and everyone in the palace referred to Lady Bu as the Empress. Lady Bu died in 238 and was granted the posthumous title of 'Empress' by Sun Quan. She was interred in the Jiang Mausoleum (蔣陵; at the Purple Mountain, Nanjing, Jiangsu).
Lady Bu's personal name was not recorded in her biography in the Records of the Three Kingdoms (Sanguozhi), the authoritative source for the history of the Three Kingdoms period. However, the Jiankang Shilu mentioned that her personal name was "Lianshi", hence she was also known as "Bu Lianshi".
- Eastern Wu family trees#Sun Quan
- List of people of the Three Kingdoms
- List of Dynasty Warriors characters
- The Sanguozhi mentioned that Lady Bu died in the 1st year of the Chiwu era (238–251) in Sun Quan's reign. Quote from Sanguozhi vol. 47: (赤烏元年春， ... 於是改年。步夫人卒，追贈皇后。)
- ([赤烏元年]二月，追拜夫人步氏為皇后。后諱練師，臨淮淮陰人也。) Jiankang Shilu vol. 2.
- (吳主權步夫人，臨淮淮陰人也，與丞相隲同族。漢末，其母攜將徙廬江，廬江為孫策所破，皆東渡江，以美麗得幸於權，寵冠後庭。生二女，長曰魯班，字大虎，前配周瑜子循，後配全琮；少曰魯育，字小虎，前配朱據，後配劉纂。) Sanguozhi vol. 50.
- (夫人性不妬忌，多所推進，故乆見愛待。權為王及帝，意欲以為后，而羣臣議在徐氏，權依違者十餘年，然宮內皆稱皇后，親戚上疏稱中宮。及薨，臣下緣權指，請追正名號，乃贈印綬，策命曰：「惟赤烏元年閏月戊子，皇帝曰：嗚呼皇后，惟后佐命，共承天地。虔恭夙夜，與朕均勞。內教脩整，禮義不愆。寬容慈惠，有淑懿之德。民臣縣望，遠近歸心。朕以世難未夷，大統未一，緣后雅志，每懷謙損。是以于時未授名號，亦必謂后降年有永，永與朕躬對揚天休。不寤奄忽，大命近止。朕恨本意不早昭顯，傷后殂逝，不終天祿。愍悼之至，痛于厥心。今使使持節丞相醴陵亭侯雍，奉策授號，配食先后。魂而有靈，嘉其寵榮。嗚呼哀哉！」葬於蔣陵。) Sanguozhi vol. 50.
- Chen, Shou. Records of the Three Kingdoms (Sanguozhi).
- Xu, Song (許嵩). Jiankang Shilu (建康實錄; True Records of Jiankang).