| Color coordinates
|sRGBB (r, g, b)
||(196, 30, 58)
|CMYKH (c, m, y, k)
||(0, 85, 70, 23)
|HSV (h, s, v)
||(350°, 85%, 77%)
||Maerz and Paul
|B: Normalized to [0–255] (byte)
H: Normalized to [0–100] (hundred)
Cardinal is a vivid red, which gets its name from the cassocks worn by Catholic cardinals (although the color worn by cardinals is actually scarlet). The family of birds takes its name from the color.
The first recorded use of cardinal as a color name in English was in the year 1698.
Cardinal in other color systems 
The corresponding Pantone Matching System (PMS) color is 200, as seen in the school colors for Wisconsin, Arizona and Wesleyan, and as one of the two official colors of the Alpha Sigma Phi Fraternity and the only official color of the sorority Alpha Omicron Pi. However, Stanford's, M.I.T.´s, and U.S.C.´s PMS color is 201, while Carnegie Mellon and Worcester Polytechnic Institute use PMS 187, Brown University uses PMS 192, Iowa State University uses PMS 186, and Ball State University uses PMS 199.
The hex triplet for the web-safe version of the color is #CC2233.
Cardinal in human culture 
- Cardinal is the official color of Stanford University, (though the athletic teams' official colors are cardinal and white, school athletic teams are called "Cardinal").
- Cardinal is the official college color of University College, Durham - a college of Durham University in the United Kingdom - and is usually worn as the primary color of the college's many sports teams and societies, such as the football team, the hockey team and the boat club.
- Cardinal and gold are the official colors of Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, United States. The school's mascot, Cy, was chosen based on the school's main color, cardinal, since a cyclone mascot would have been difficult to design. A number of other universities use it as well.
- Cardinal and white are the official colors of the University of Arkansas. Prior to adoption of the Razorback as the mascot, the university's sports teams were known as the Cardinals.
- Cardinal, gold, and blue are the school colors for Scotch College, Melbourne.
- Other school colors described as cardinal include those of The University of Arizona, Ball State University, Brown University, California State University, Chico, Carnegie Mellon University, Chadron State College, Chapman University, Fairfield University, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Nicholls State University, New Mexico State University, Oberlin College, Stevens Institute of Technology, Troy University, the University of Southern California, Wesleyan University, Willamette University, University of Wisconsin, St. Stephen's Episcopal School, and City College of San Francisco.
- Cardinal is the official primary color of the St. Louis Cardinals.
- Cardinal was formerly one of the colors of the San Francisco 49ers (since reverted to scarlet), along with the color California gold.
- Cardinal is the official color of the Arizona Cardinals.
- Cardinal is the official color of Marlow Rowing Club in the UK.
- Cardinal is the official color, and Nickname of Woking FC in the UK.
- Cardinal is the official color of Pine Bluff High School located in Arkansas
See also 
- ^ The color displayed in the color box above matches the color called cardinal in the 1930 book by Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Color New York:1930 McGraw-Hill; the color cardinal is displayed on page 33, Plate 5, Color Sample L5.
- ^ Maerz and Paul A Dictionary of Color New York:1930 McGraw-Hill Page 192; Color Sample of Cardinal: Page 33 Plate 5 Color Sample L5