City of Botany Bay
|City of Botany Bay
New South Wales
|Population||39,356 (2011 census)|
|• Density||1,471/km2 (3,810/sq mi)|
|Area||26.75 km2 (10.3 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Ben Keneally (Labor)|
|Federal Division(s)||Kingsford Smith|
|Website||City of Botany Bay|
The City of Botany Bay is a local government area in the eastern region of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. The area encompasses the suburbs to the north of Botany Bay, such as Botany. The administrative centre is located at Mascot, which is 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) south of the Sydney central business district. Before 1996, the city was known as the Municipality of Botany.
Suburbs in the local government area
Suburbs in the City of Botany Bay are:
- Botany Bay
- Pagewood (parts are located in City of Randwick council)
At the 2011 Census, there were 39,356 people in the Botany Bay local government area, of these 49.5% were male and 50.5% were female. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people made up 1.6% of the population. The median age of people in the City of Botany Bay was 37 years. Children aged 0 – 14 years made up 18.2% of the population and people aged 65 years and over made up 14.4% of the population. Of people in the area aged 15 years and over, 47.6% were married and 11.4% were either divorced or separated.
Population growth in the City of Botany Bay between the 2001 Census and the 2006 Census was 5.18%; and in the subsequent five years to the 2011 Census, population growth was 5.19%. When compared with total population growth of Australia for the same periods, being 5.78% and 8.32% respectively, population growth in Botany Bay local government area was lower than the national average.
|Selected historical census data for the City of Botany Bay local government area|
|Population||Estimated residents on Census night||35,572||37,415||39,356|
|LGA rank in terms of size within New South Wales||61|
|% of New South Wales population||0.5%||0.57%|
|% of Australian population||0.19%||0.18%||0.18%|
|Cultural and language diversity|
(other than English)
|Median weekly incomes|
|Personal income||Median weekly personal income||A$453||A$575|
|% of Australian median income||97.2%||99.7%|
|Family income||Median weekly family income||A$995||A$1,488|
|% of Australian median income||96.9%||100.5%|
|Household income||Median weekly household income||A$1,166||A$1,245|
|% of Australian median income||99.6%||100.9%|
Botany Bay City Council is composed of seven Councillors, including the Mayor, for a fixed four-year term of office. The Mayor is directly elected while the six other Councillors are elected proportionally as six separate wards, each electing one Councillor. The most recent election was held on 8 September 2012. In Wards One and Five, only one candidate, being those below, nominated for election. There being no additional candidates, the election for these Wards was uncontested. The makeup of the Council, including the Mayor, is as follows:
|Australian Labor Party||7|
The current council, elected in 2012, in order of election by ward, is:
|Ward One||George Glinatsis||Labor||Deputy Mayor|
|Ward Two||Brian Troy||Labor|
|Ward Three||Christina Curry||Labor|
|Ward Four||Stan Kondilios||Labor|
|Ward Five||Greg Mitchell||Labor|
|Ward Six||Mark Castle||Labor|
Qantas's head office, the Qantas Centre, is at 203 Coward Street in the Mascot suburb of Botany Bay. The regional airline Eastern Australia Airlines has its head office on the grounds of Sydney Airport in Mascot. The airline Impulse Airlines, when it existed, had its head office in the airport property.
Residents are zoned to schools in the Department of Education and Communities. The following schools are in Botany Bay:
- Banksmeadow Public School
- Botany Public School
- Daceyville Public School
- Eastlakes Public School
- Mascot Public School
- Matraville Public School
- Pagewood Public School
- J J Cahill Memorial High School
- John Brotchie Nursery School
- St Therese's Catholic School
- St Bernard's Catholic School
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (21 June 2012). "2011 Census QuickStats: Botany Bay (C)". Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (9 March 2006). "Botany Bay (A)". 2001 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Botany Bay (A)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "The Council of the City of Botany Bay". 2012 NSW Local Council Elections (Australia: ABC News). September 2012. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Declaration of Election Results 2012". Local Government Election 2012. Botany Bay City Council. 12 September 2012. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Other Qantas Contacts." Qantas. Retrieved on 10 February 2009.
- "World Airline Directory." Flight International. 23–29 March 2004. 66.
- "World Airline Directory." Flight International. 4–10 April 2000. 85.