Cluster & Eno
|Cluster & Eno|
|Studio album by Cluster and Brian Eno|
|Producer||Conny Plank, Cluster|
|Brian Eno chronology|
|Pitchfork Media||(8.7/10) |
Cluster & Eno is a collaborative album by the German electronic music group Cluster and English ambient musician Brian Eno. The style of this album is a collection of gentle melodies: a mixture of Eno’s ambient sensibilities and Cluster's avant-garde style.
In June, 1977 the duo of Hans-Joachim Roedelius and Dieter Moebius joined with Brian Eno for recording sessions at Conny Plank's studio. The first release from those sessions on Sky Records was Cluster & Eno. Guest musicians on the album included Can bassist Holger Czukay and Asmus Tietchens on synthesizer. The association with Eno brought Cluster a much wider audience than previous albums and international attention.
Bryan Reesman, in his editorial review for Amazon.com, writes, in part:
"Meshing Cluster's affinity for loops and repetition and Eno's penchant for processing sounds, the trio proves that ambient music does not merely consist of drawn-out drones and insipid keyboard tapestries. Certainly many of these nine tracks play off of sustained sounds and atmospheres, but their shorter running times make them more digestible, as does their variety of moods and textures. Highlights include the angelic atmosphere of "Für Luise," the classically inspired piano interlude "Mit Samaen," and the Indian-influenced "One," a trippy progenitor of ethnoambient music, ripe with sitar drones, guitar noises, and exotic percussion that features contributions from Okko Becker and Asmus Tietchens."
All songs composed by Moebius, Roedelius and Eno.
- "Ho Renomo" – 5:07
- "Schöne Hände" – 3:03
- "Steinsame" – 4:06
- "Wehrmut" – 5:01
- "Mit Simaen" – 4:26
- "Selange" – 3:30
- "Die Bunge" – 3:45
- "One" – 6:06
- "Für Luise" – 3:20
- Hans-Joachim Roedelius
- Dieter Moebius
- Brian Eno
- Holger Czukay – bass
- Okko Bekker – guitar
- Asmus Tietchens – synthesizer
- Weisbard & Marks, 1995. p.129
- Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Cluster & Eno / Eno Moebius Roedelius / Eno Moebius Roedelius Plank: Cluster & Eno / After the Heat / Begegnungen / Begegnungen II
- Scaruffi, Piero (1999). "Cluster". pieroscaruffi.com. Retrieved August 18, 2013.
- Reesman, Bryan Cluster & Eno
- Weisbard, Eric; Craig Marks (1995). Spin Alternative Record Guide. Vintage Books. ISBN 0-679-75574-8.
- Curry, Russ. A Curious History Of Cluster. Retrieved August 17, 2007.
- Waynick, Michael All Music Guide review. Retrieved October 7, 2007.