CrossBridge is an open-source toolset developed by Adobe Systems, that cross-compiles C and C++ code to run in Adobe Flash Player or Adobe AIR. Projects compiled with CrossBridge run up to 10 times faster than ActionScript 3 projects. CrossBridge was also known as "Alchemy" and the "Flash Runtime C++ Compiler", or "FlasCC".
In 2012, in an attempt to monetize Flash Player, Adobe restricted use of the Stage3D and Domain Memory features of Flash Player under the "Premium Features" brand. The "Premium Features" were licensed for use and publishers were to pay royalties to Adobe for use of the same. Project Alchemy was commercially released as the Flash Runtime C++ Compiler.
In 2013, Adobe open-sourced the Flash Runtime C++ Compiler as CrossBridge, and released it on the GitHub code hosting website. The "Premium Features" were also made free for use, and no longer required licensing or royalties.
CrossBridge can generate Flash Player movies (.swf files), or Flash Libraries (.swc files, which can then be used by larger projects written in ActionScript 3 and compiled using the free Apache Flex SDK (formerly the Adobe Flex SDK).
- CrossBridge by Adobe, at GitHub
- Alchemy:FAQ at the Wayback Machine (archived May 5, 2012), Adobe Labs, "ASC performs few optimizations at this time"
- Zotov, Peter (2012-05-06). "Reaching the Limits of Adobe Stupidity - whitespace". Whitequark.org. Retrieved 2012-10-27.
- Alchemy:FAQ, Adobe Labs
- Optimizing ActionScript Bytecode using LLVM, Adobe
- Adobe Alchemy, is it ActionScript heresy?, Unit Zero One
- Alchemy Released on Labs, Adobe Blogs, November 17, 2008
- Alchemy Updates Released on Labs, Adobe Blogs, December 11, 2008
- Project “Alchemy” is now the Flash Runtime C++ Compiler (FlasCC), Adobe Blogs, October 8, 2012
- Premium Features for Flash Player, Adobe Flash Team Blog, Adobe
- Open Source Flash C++ Compiler, CrossBridge, Adobe Blogs, June 25, 2013
- Adobe Premium Features for Flash Player, Adobe Devnet
- FlasCC for Flash Player, Adobe Gaming
- Alchemy, Adobe Labs
- XC APIs, Adobe Gaming
- OpenGL for Stage3D, GitHub project hosting
- lua-alchemy, Port of the Lua programming language for ActionScript using Alchemy, Google Code
- Official website
- Adobe Flash C++ Compiler (FlasCC) from Adobe devnet
- adobe-flash / crossbridge repository at GitHub
- CrossBridge on SourceForge.net
- vpmedia / crossbridge repository at GitHub
- CrossBridge-Community on SourceForge.net