Flare3D IDE with viewport (center), object properties (top right), and texture panel.
|Stable release||2.7.1 / February 12, 2014|
|Written in||ActionScript 3|
|Operating system||Web, Windows, iOS, Android, BlackBerry|
|Type||Content creation system|
Flare3D includes a 3D object editor (the Flare3D IDE) and a 3D graphics engine for rendering 3D graphics. Flare3D runs on current web browsers utilizing the Adobe Flash Player, and uses Stage3D for GPU-accelerated rendering.
The Flare3D platform consists of a 3D world editor, a runtime engine, and a collection of plugins for various applications.
The 3D editor may be used to layout 3D objects, and to generate compressed Flare3D binary packages of 3D models. Such 3D models and animations may be imported from third-party programs such as Autodesk 3ds Max, or Autodesk Maya, or other mesh-based 3D modeller. The 3D runtime engine is typically supplied as a closed-source SWC package, although small portions are released on the GitHub open-source website.
The Flare3D engine uses Stage3D for GPU-accelerated rendering, and contains support for rigid body physics, skeletal animations, and a proprietary GPU-shader language known as FLSL (Flare3D Shader Language). The engine also integrates with FLARToolkit (for augmented reality), Away Physics (from Away3D) and Starling (an Adobe project).
The Flare3D plugin for Autodesk 3ds Max is provided for free, and enables one-click exporting of a 3D model from 3ds Max to the Flare3D file format. Animation data is also exported, for "Hierarchical" and "Skinned" based animations. Texture data is automatically converted from unsupported formats to JPG and PNG formats which are supported by the Flare3D engine.
List of Games
- Dimensional Drift (by Cartoon Network)
- NetGuys (by Vodafone)
- CityVille 2 (by Zynga)
- FarmVille 2 (by Zynga)
- Chase Life (by Maruti Suzuki, ad advergame for the Alto K10)
- Heroica Fortraan (by Lego)
- Monster Fighters (by Lego)
- Sherwood Dungeon (a 3D MMORPG)
- Downloads, Flare3D Site
- New Flare3D 2.7 is out, Flare3D Forum
- Flare3D Profile, Adobe
- Showcase, Flare3D
- Farmville 2's 3D character design & animation revealed, DigitalArts
- "Mixamo integrates Flare3D for Flash game creation". develop. February 29, 2012. Retrieved 2014-01-17.
- "Mixamo enables Flash based visuals with Flare3D integration". Gamasutra. February 28, 2012. Retrieved 2014-01-17.
- "Flare3D for HTML5 and WebGL". Khronos Group. January 8, 2013. Retrieved 2014-01-17.
- Flare3D, GitHub
- Homepage, Flare3D Wiki
- Flare3D Exporter for 3Ds Max, Flare3D Wiki
- Flare3D physics engine beta version, FlashDaily
- FarmVille2 developed entirely in 3D with Flash 11, FlashDaily
- Cartoon Network’s Regular Show Dimensional Drift made with Flare3D, Flare3D Blog
- “Chase Life” for Maruti Suzuki Motors made with Flare3D, Flare3D Blog
- Flare3D Studio Allows For 3D Flash Player Games, Support For Mixamo, CinemaBlend
- Keith Gladstien (2013). Flash Game Development In a Social, Mobile and 3D World. Cengage Learning. pp. 383–421. ISBN 978-1-4354-6021-8.