Dublin Coffman High School
|Dublin Coffman High School|
|6780 Coffman Road
Dublin, Ohio, 43017
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Dublin City Schools|
|Superintendent||Todd F. Hoadley|
|Color(s)||Green, Black and White |
|Slogan||Academic Rigor, Authentic Community, Appreciation of Our History|
|Athletics conference||Ohio Capital Conference|
|Rival||Hilliard Davidson High School, Upper Arlington High School|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Dublin Coffman High School is a public high school located in Dublin, Ohio, United States, a suburb northwest of Columbus, Ohio, which was formerly known as Dublin High School. It is the oldest of three high schools in the Dublin City Schools district, and serves the southern and central parts of the District.
Dublin Coffman High School was originally established as Dublin High School in January 1973, and was the only high school in the Dublin school district at that time. Dublin High School changed its name to Dublin Coffman High School in 1995 after the school's acceptance into the Ohio Capital Conference and plans to build a second high school—eventually named Dublin Scioto—were announced.
Over its almost forty year history, Coffman has gone through many additions and upgrades; the most major include the expansion of the B building, which now houses the English, World Languages, and Social Studies departments, and the addition of the A building, which encompasses the library, technology- related classes, Mathematics, and Science departments.
In the 2009-2010 school year, Dublin Coffman underwent a series of renovations to the building. These renovations made it possible to add 10 classrooms, seal the outdoor courtyard, add classrooms off of and below the bridge between the A and B buildings, and move the location of the administrative offices and main entrance to the opposite side of the building . In addition to this, the renovations converted the old administrative area to new classrooms. The Rock Shop was moved from its original location to the cafeteria, near the girl's restrooms.
Dublin Coffman High School is a part of the Dublin City School District in central Ohio. The Dublin City School District has been awarded Ohio's highest academic rating, Excellent with Distinction, for its eighth consecutive year. Their mascot is the Shamrocks, also known as the Rocks.
The Dublin Coffman Marching Band has been competing in Ohio Music Education Association (OMEA) competitions for over 20 years. In 2007 the band performed in its first Bands of America (BOA) contest in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Also in the 2007 season, the band set a school record with a high score of 287.62 out of a possible score of 300.
The 2009 Symphonic band went to OMEA state contest and received its first superior rating in many years.
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (June 2011)|
Notable Alumni include:
- Kent Mercker, (class of 1986) Former MLB Pitcher for 9 different teams but, most known for his career with the Cincinnati Reds
- Vince Workman, (class of 1985) Former NFL Running Back
- Doug DeVore, Former MLB player (Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Chris Quinn, (class of 2002) Former Cleveland Cavaliers Guard
- Brady Quinn, (class of 2003) Current Miami Dolphins Quarterback and former Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks, New York Jets, and Notre Dame Quarterback
- Chinedum Ndukwe, (class of 2003) Former NFL Safety that played for Cincinnati Benglas and Oakland Raiders.
- Tamara Witmer, (class of 2003) Model [Playmate] and Actress
- Mike Adams, (class of 2008) Current Offensive Tackle for the Pittsburgh Steelers
Dublin Coffman has many Honors and AP classes as well as advanced technological classes, which include Project Lead the Way engineering classes and AP Computer Science. New to the Dublin Schools as of 2008 International Baccalaureate classes were offered to any student willing to undertake the difficult courses.
Change of curriculum
The curriculum and student handbook at Dublin Coffman High School, as well as at the other two high schools in the Dublin City School District is being revised in order to conform with the International Baccalaureate degree program. These changes include recognizing all students with a GPA of 4.1 or above to receive valedictorian status (a shift which is projected to result in the naming of over 100 valedictorians); and a change from year long 1.0 credit courses to semester 0.5 credit courses. Students will now receive 0.5 credits for each semester, instead of 1.0 credit at the end of the year.
- Boys Golf – 1977, 1979, 1981, 1983
- Girls Gymnastics – 1980, 1982, 1984
- Boys Volleyball - 1992 (Not OHSAA)
- Girls Golf – 2000
- Boys Baseball - 2001
- Girls Soccer – 2001, 2003
- Boys Cross Country - 2011
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.[dead link]
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2010-02-17.[dead link]
- Dublin Coffman High School Addition & Renovation." OHM Advancing Communities. Orchard, Hiltz & McCliment, Inc, 2011. Web. 18 Sept. 2011. <http://www.ohm-advisors.com/include_project_details.cfm?pro_id=121>.
- "Dublin City Schools is Excellent with Distinction." Dublin City Schools. eSchoolView, 2011. Web. 18 Sept. 2011. <http://www.dublinschools.net/protected/ArticleView.aspx?iid=5GBPPI&dasi=1Y>.
- ThisWeek Community Papers. "Cincinnati Reds Pitcher Kent Mercker". Retrieved 2008-07-23.
- "Doug DeVore's entry on Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-reference.com. Retrieved 2014-11-17.
- University of Notre Dame Official Athletics Site. "Player Bio: Chinedum Ndukwe". Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- ThisWeek Community Newspapers. "High school changes are approved". Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.