Thomas Worthington High School
|Thomas Worthington High School|
|300 West Dublin Granville Road
Worthington, Ohio, 43085
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Worthington City School District|
|Teaching staff||94.75 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.28|
|Color(s)||Blue and Red|
|Song||"Oh, Worthington" (Words and Music by Henry Shuster, 1955)|
|Fight song||Stand Up and Cheer|
|Athletics conference||Ohio Capital Conference|
|Rivals||Worthington Kilbourne High School, Upper Arlington High School|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Average SAT scores||1699 out of 2400|
|Average ACT scores||24.3 out of 36|
Thomas Worthington High School ("TWHS") is a public school in Worthington, Ohio. The school was named Worthington High School until 1991, when sister school, Worthington Kilbourne High School, opened.
With approximately 1700 students, TWHS is the largest school in the Worthington City School District. Its mascot is the cardinal, and the school colors are red and blue. A map of the district divisions is located here.
Within the Worthington City School District, Worthingway Middle School, Kilbourne Middle School, and Phoenix Middle School students who would traditionally go to Worthingway or Kilbourne feed in to TWHS.
Clubs and activities
Clubs and organizations
TWHS offers many clubs and organizations to its students.
- In-the-Know - An academic quiz team
- Jazz Band
- Theatre- TWHS Boasts one of the top schools for theatre in the state.
- Latin Club - functions as a local chapter of both the Ohio Junior Classical League (OJCL) and National Junior Classical League (NJCL).
- Marching Band
- Mock Trial Team - A team that competes in the Ohio High School Mock Trial competition
- Pit Orchestra
- Science Olympiad
- Student Council
- Key Club
- Bowling Club - A team that competes against other Ohio High School teams
The following sports are available to students:
- Cross Country
- Field Hockey
- Ice hockey
- Marching Band
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Baseball - 1981
- Boys Golf - 1938,1978,1983
- Boys Soccer - 1991,1998,2001
- Boys Track - 1997,1999
- Boys Cross Country - 1967
- Girls Cross Country - 1989,1992
- Girls Field Hockey - 1988, 2007, 2011
- Girls Gymnastics - 1985,1986,1987,1988,1989
- Girls Swimming - 1977,1978,1980,1981,1989
Other athletic accomplishments
- Colin Gawel, 1987 - musician
- Maggie Grace, did not graduate but attended the high school - Actress
- Rachael Harris, 1986 - actress
- Bob Hill, 1967 - NBA coach
- Jim Kammerud, 1978 - cartoonist
- Betty Montgomery, 1966 - Ohio senator and attorney general
- Troy Perkins, 1999 - Major League Soccer player
- Jack Plotnick, 1987 - actor 
- Claire Shipman, 1980 - television journalist
- Jeff Smith, 1978 - cartoonist
- Frank Truitt, 1943 - collegiate basketball coach at Ohio State University, Louisiana State University, and Kent State University
- Dana Tyler, 1977 – Senior News Anchor for WCBS-TV
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2014-05-12.
- "General Information". worthington.k12.oh.us. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2010-02-17.[dead link]
- "2009–2010 THOMAS WORTHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL ACTIVITY PROGRAMS". Worthington City Schools. Retrieved 7 September 2010.[dead link]
- "In The Know". WOSU TV. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "2009 Convention – Club Point Summary" (PDF). Ohio Junior Classical League. 2009. Retrieved 10 August 2009.
- "2010 State Convention – Club Point Summary" (PDF). OJCL.org. Ohio Junior Classical League. 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2010.
- "Constitution of the Ohio Junior Classical League" (PDF). Ohio Junior Classical League. March 2008. Retrieved 18 September 2009.
...by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- "OHSAA All-Time State Field Hockey Tournament Participation". The Ohio High School Athletic Association. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- Emerine, Brad (2011-11-06). "Field hockey: Thomas Worthington wins in overtime". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 8 November 2011.
- OHSSCA. "Ohio High School Swim Coaches' Association-Girls Swimming State Champions". Retrieved 2007-03-08.[dead link]
- OHSSCA. "Ohio High School Swim Coaches' Association-Boys Water Polo State Champions". Retrieved 2007-03-08.[dead link]
- OHSLA. "Ohio High School Lacrosse Association-Boys Lacrosse State Champions". Retrieved 2011-02-08.
- Keck, William (October 18, 2005). "She's not lost in a fog". USA Today. Retrieved 2013-09-07.
- "Rachael Harris Biography". Tvguide.com. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- "Distingished Alumni Award of Worthington Schools". Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "Two cartoonists from Class of '78 are named distinguished alumni". Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "Troy Perkins". MLSsoccer.com. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Terry Mikesell. "Movie director Jack Plotnick will attend screening of his 'Space Station 76'". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Claire Shipman". nndb.com. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Smith, Jeff (June 16, 2007). "Mix of tradition, fantasy comics pays off for artist". The Washington Times.
- "1943 Worthington High School Graduating Class Picture". Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "Worthington High grad Dana Tyler". Retrieved 4 March 2015.