The European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) is an independent, non-profit, standardization organization in the telecommunications industry (equipment makers and network operators) in Europe, with worldwide projection. ETSI has been successful in standardizing GSM cell phone system, TETRA professional mobile radio system, and Short Range Device requirements including LPD radio.
Significant ETSI standardisation bodies include TISPAN (for fixed networks and Internet convergence) and M2M (for machine-to-machine communications). ETSI inspired the creation of, and is a partner in, 3GPP.
ETSI was created by CEPT in 1988 and is officially recognized by the European Commission and the EFTA secretariat. Based in Sophia Antipolis (France), ETSI is officially responsible for standardization of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) within Europe. These technologies include telecommunications, broadcasting and related areas such as intelligent transportation and medical electronics. ETSI has 740 members from 62 countries/provinces inside and outside Europe, including manufacturers, network operators, administrations, service providers, research bodies and users — in fact, all the key players in the ICT arena. A list of current members can be found here.
In 2010, ETSI's budget exceeded €22 million, with contributions coming from members, commercial activities like sale of documents, plug-tests and fora hosting (i.e. the hosting of forums), contract work and partner funding. About 40% goes towards operating expenses and the remaining 60% towards work programs including competency centres and special projects.
ETSI is a founding partner organization of the Global Standards Collaboration initiative.
Current associate members of ETSI are: Australia, Canada, USA, Brazil, South Africa, Lesotho, Egypt, Israel, Yemen, Qatar, UAE, Iran, Uzbekistan, PRChina (together with separate memberships for its special administrative regions: Hong Kong, Macao), India, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia.
Current observers are: Russia.
ETSI deliverable types
- European Standard, telecommunications series (EN) - Used when the document is intended to meet needs specific to Europe and requires transposition into national standards, or when the drafting of the document is required under an EC/EFTA mandate.
- ETSI Standard (ES) - Used when the document contains normative requirements and it is necessary to submit the document to the whole ETSI membership for approval.
- ETSI Guide (EG) - Used when the document contains guidance on handling of technical standardization activities, it is submitted to the whole ETSI membership for approval.
- Special Report (SR) - Used for various purposes, including giving public availability to information not produced within a technical committee. ETSI SRs are also used for 'virtual' documents, e.g. documents that are dynamically generated by a query to a database via the web. An SR is published by the technical committee in which it was produced.
- ETSI Technical Specification (TS) - Used when the document contains normative requirements and when short time-to-market, validation and maintenance are essential, it is approved by the technical committee that drafted it.
- ETSI Technical Report (TR) - Used when the document contains mainly informative elements, it is approved by the technical committee that drafted it.
- ETSI Group Specification (GS) - Used by Industry Specification Groups according to the decision making procedures defined in the group's Terms of Reference. This deliverable type is approved and adopted by the Industry Specification Group that drafted it.
This list is gathered from the European Telecommunications Standards Institute website.
- British Standards Institution
- Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications
- Digital Subscriber System No. 1
- European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization
- European Committee for Standardization
- Integrated Services Digital Network
- International Telecommunication Union
- Open Mobile Alliance
- Project 25
- Single Wire Protocol
- ETSI Membership Information. Portal.etsi.org. Retrieved on 2013-08-15.
- Forapolis. Etsi.org. Retrieved on 2013-08-15.
- "Annual Report April 2011". ETSI. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- ETSI membership
- "Different types of ETSI standards". ETSI. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- Official Website
- NORMAPME.com, The European Office of Crafts, Trades and Small and Medium sized Enterprises for Standardisation