Ed Davis (basketball)
Davis during his tenure the Memphis Grizzlies
|No. 21 – Los Angeles Lakers|
June 5, 1989 |
|Listed height||6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)|
|Listed weight||225 lb (102 kg)|
|High school||Hanover (Mechanicsville, Virginia)
Benedictine (Richmond, Virginia)
|College||North Carolina (2008–2010)|
|NBA draft||2010 / Round: 1 / Pick: 13th overall|
|Selected by the Toronto Raptors|
|2010||→Erie BayHawks (D-League)|
|2014–present||Los Angeles Lakers|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Edward Adam "Ed" Davis (born June 5, 1989) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played high school basketball at Benedictine High School in Richmond, Virginia. He is the son of former NBA player Terry Davis, who played 10 seasons (1989–2001) with the Miami Heat, Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets and Washington Wizards. He was selected with the 13th overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft by the Toronto Raptors.
High school career
Davis spent his first two years of high school playing basketball at Hanover High School in Mechanicsville, Virginia before transferring to Benedictine High School in Richmond, Virginia. There, he led Benedectine to two state championships while averaging 22 points, 14 rebounds and 7 blocks as a senior. He accompanied future Tar Heel teammates Tyler Zeller and Larry Drew II in the McDonald's All-American Game and was selected to the Jordan Brand All-American Team. He was named Mr. Basketball of Virginia in 2008, which is given to Virginia's best high school basketball player. He also received recognition as co-player of the year in 2007.
Davis played in every game during the 2008–09 season, while starting in two of them. He averaged 6.7 points, 7.0 rebounds, and 18.8 minutes per game in his first season with the Tar Heels. Davis also led the team with 65 blocks with an average of 1.7 per game. In North Carolina's six wins during the 2009 NCAA Basketball Tournament, Davis averaged 8.2 points and 5.5 rebounds. In the 2009 NCAA championship game, Davis came off the bench to score 11 points and grab a team-high 8 rebounds, helping the Tar Heels to an 89–72 win over Michigan State. Davis was also named to the 2009 All-Freshman Team and was co-recipient of the team's Most Improved Player award.
In April 2009, Davis announced he would return to North Carolina after his freshman year instead of declaring for the NBA draft. In February 2010, he suffered a broken wrist in a loss to Duke, which effectively ended his season. In 2009–10, he played 23 games, averaging 13.4 points, 9.6 rebounds, 1.0 assists and 2.8 blocks per game.
Davis was selected by the Toronto Raptors with the 13th overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft. On July 6, 2010, Davis signed with the Raptors. After a month with the Raptors, Davis was assigned to the Erie BayHawks. On November 29, 2010, Davis was recalled by the Raptors. On December 1, 2010, Davis made his NBA debut against the Washington Wizards, recording 11 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 blocks. On April 5, 2011, Davis recorded a career-high 22 points against the New York Knicks.
On January 30, 2013, Davis was traded to the Memphis Grizzlies, along with Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye of the Detroit Pistons, in a three team deal that also sent teammate José Calderón to the Pistons, and Rudy Gay and Hamed Haddadi of the Grizzlies to the Raptors.
On June 30, 2014, the Grizzlies declined the opportunity to tender a qualifying offer to Davis, making him an unrestricted free agent.
Los Angeles Lakers
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- 2009 ACC All-Freshman Team
- 2009 North Carolina's Most Improved Player (Jimmie Dempsey Award)
- 2008 McDonald's All-American Game Selection
- 2008 Jordan Brand All-American Team
- 2008 Parade All-American Boys Basketball Team
- 2008 Player of the Year Award (Mr. Basketball Award)
- 2007 Co-Player of the Year
- 2005–2008 Three-time All-Metro
- Player Bio: Ed Davis
- "Ed Davis To Return To UNC For Sophomore Season". GoHeels.com. April 12, 2009. Retrieved April 12, 2009.
- Ed Davis Stats
- North Carolina’s Ed Davis declares for NBA Draft
- Mullen, Liz (May 11, 2010). "Pelinka Signs Two Potential NBA Lottery Picks; Falk Inks Monroe". SportsBusiness Daily.com. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- Raptors Sign First-Round Pick Ed Davis
- "Grizzlies acquire Tayshaun Prince, Austin Daye, Ed Davis and 2013 second round draft pick in three-team deal". NBA.com. January 30, 2013. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- Grizzlies elect not to extend qualifying offer to Ed Davis; Team keeps options open
- "Lakers Sign Ed Davis". NBA.com. July 23, 2014. Archived from the original on July 23, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ed Davis.|