|State Secretary of Finance|
4 February 2014
|Preceded by||Frans Weekers|
12 March 1963 |
|Political party||People's Party for Freedom and
|Alma mater||Delft University of Technology
European Institute of Business
Eric Derk Wiebes (born 12 March 1963) is a Dutch politician for the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy. He serves as State Secretary of Finance since 4 February 2014. His predecessor, Frans Weekers, resigned on 30 January. Wiebes earlier served as alderman for the municipality of Amsterdam between 2010 and 2014, holding the portfolio concerning traffic, ICT and infrastructure.
Early life and career
Wiebes was born in Delft but grew up in Muiderberg. His father, a nuclear physicist passed away when he was nine years old. He completed his v.w.o. (secondary education) in nearby Bussum, graduating in 1981. He continued his studies the same year at Delft University of Technology studying mechanical engineering. In 1986 he graduated, having specialized himself in policy functions concerning government. Wiebes then started working in the private sector, being employed at Shell, McKinsey & Company, and OC&C Strategy Consultants between 1987 and 2004. In 1991 he earned an MBA in business administration at INSEAD in Fontainebleau, France. From 2004 until 2010 he was employed at the Ministry of Economic Affairs, the last three years of which he was deputy secretary-general.
Wiebes discussed his future career together with MP Willibrord van Beek. Van Beek advised taking up a position as alderman. Wiebes declined two offers from smaller municipalities which he deemed not challenging enough. In 2010 the municipality of Amsterdam was searching for a new alderman from the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy. Eric van der Burg, the local party leader, informed if Van Beek knew a candidate, Van Beek then advised choosing Wiebes. Prime Minister Mark Rutte put Wiebes name forward as well. Wiebes accepted the offer. As alderman in Amsterdam Wiebes dealt with problematic topics such as the municipal ICT, air quality, construction of the new Noord/Zuidlijn metro-line, and the local taxi-market.
- "Ir. E.D. (Eric) Wiebes MBA" (in Dutch). Parlement.com. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Hugo Logtenberg, Bas Soetenhorst (3 February 2014). "Eric Wiebes: zeer intelligent en met een lenige geest" (in Dutch). Het Parool. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Jeroen Visser (3 February 2014). "Eric Wiebes: uitstekende probleemoplosser en 'ook nog een leuke vent'" (in Dutch). de Volkskrant. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Laura Klompenhouwer (4 February 2014). "De nieuwe man op Financiën. Wie is Wiebes en wat staat hem te doen?" (in Dutch). NRC Handelsblad. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Tom Reijner (3 February 2014). "VVD'er Eric Wiebes 'doet niet aan politiek gekonkel'". Elsevier. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- (Dutch) Parlement.com biography
|State Secretary of Finance