May 8, 1980 |
|Residence||London, United Kingdom|
|Parents||Alexander Lebedev (father)|
Evgeny Alexandrovich Lebedev[needs IPA] (born 8 May 1980) is the Russian-born British chairman and owner of both Evening Standard ltd, publisher of the Evening Standard, which he bought in January 2009, and of Independent Print Ltd, publisher of the Independent, the i and the Independent on Sunday, which he bought in March 2010.
Early life and education
Born in Russia, Evgeny Lebedev moved to London at the age of eight, as his father, Alexander Lebedev, took a job at the Soviet embassy in the city. Lebedev received British citizenship in October 2010.
Under Lebedev's tenure, the Evening Standard became the first large-circulation newspaper in Britain to be distributed free, its circulation tripling to 600,000 copies.
Other business interests
Lebedev's other business interests include the Sake no Hana Japanese restaurant in St James’s Street, London, designed by Kengo Kuma, and the Palazzo Terra Nova boutique hotel in Umbria, Italy. He is also credited as being the designer and co-owner with Jamie Barber of the Hush restaurant in Mayfair, and the co-owner, along with Ian McKellen and Sean Mathias, of The Grapes pub in London.
Arts and culture
Lebedev is a supporter of the Arts and chairman of the Evening Standard Theatre Awards.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Evgeny Lebedev.|
- Andrew Cave (2 July 2009). "Evgeny Lebedev spells out his vision for the Evening Standard". The Telegraph.
- Tristan O'Carroll. "DMGT confirms Standard to be sold to Lebedev". MediaWeek.
- "Lebedev family buys Independent in deal to secure paper's future", This is London website
- Mark Sweney (8 January 2009). "Profile: Alexander and Evgeny Lebedev". The Guardian.
- Stephen Brook (15 January 2010). "ABCs: Free London Evening Standard breaks through 600,000 barrier". The Guardian.
- Sake no Hana website
- Palazzo Terranova website
- The pub's history, The Grapes website
- "Anna Friel brings sheer glamour to the Evening Standard Theatre Awards". Daily Mail. 23 November 2009.