Evgeny Alexandrovich Lebedev[needs IPA] (born 8 May 1980) is the Russian-born British chairman and owner of both Evening Standard ltd, publisher of the Evening Standard, which he bought in January 2009, and of Independent Print Ltd, publisher of the Independent and Independent on Sunday, which he bought in March 2010.
Early life and education
Evgeny Lebedev has spent most of his life in Britain. When his father, Alexander, took a job at the Soviet embassy in London and moved the family there, Evgeny was eight and went to school in the city. Lebedev received British citizenship in October 2010.
Under Lebedev's tenure, the Evening Standard became the first large-circulation newspaper in Britain to be distributed free, its circulation tripling to 600,000 copies.
Other business interests
Lebedev's other business interests include the Sake no Hana Japanese restaurant in St James’s Street, London, designed by Kengo Kuma, and the Palazzo Terra Nova boutique hotel in Umbria, Italy. He is also credited as being the designer and co-owner with Jamie Barber of the Hush restaurant in Mayfair, and the co-owner, along with Ian McKellen and Sean Mathias, of The Grapes pub in London.
Arts and culture
Lebedev is a supporter of the Arts and chairman of the Evening Standard Theatre Awards. He is a sponsor of the Moscow Art Theatre and the Anton Chekhov Yalta Theatre, which was built in 1883, renovated in 1908, and reconstructed in 2008 "with the financial support of A.E. Lebedev".
Lebedev is the founder and chairman of the Raisa Gorbachev Foundation, established in 2006 together with President Mikhail Gorbachev, its aim being "to raise money to help children with cancer". So far, the Foundation has raised several million pounds for its purposes.
The foundation has equipped two Russian paediatric cancer clinics. The Foundation commissions research into the fight against childhood cancer, provides training for the disciplines involved in the diagnosis, treatment, control and care of children with cancer. Since 2008, the foundation has worked closely with the Marie Curie Cancer Care, another UK-based charity, which provides care to patients with terminal cancer.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Evgeny Lebedev.|
- Andrew Cave (2 July 2009). "Evgeny Lebedev spells out his vision for the Evening Standard". The Telegraph.
- Tristan O'Carroll. "DMGT confirms Standard to be sold to Lebedev". MediaWeek.
- "Lebedev family buys Independent in deal to secure paper's future", This is London website
- Mark Sweney (8 January 2009). "Profile: Alexander and Evgeny Lebedev". The Guardian.
- Stephen Brook (15 January 2010). "ABCs: Free London Evening Standard breaks through 600,000 barrier". The Guardian.
- Sake no Hana website
- Palazzo Terranova website
- The pub's history, The Grapes website
- "Anna Friel brings sheer glamour to the Evening Standard Theatre Awards". Daily Mail. 23 November 2009.
- LabforCulture (2009-12-18). "International Physical Theatre Laboratory: "Theatre. Chekhov. Yalta - the Second International Festival". Labforculture.org. Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- Chairman Evgeny Lebedev, Raisa Gorbachev Foundation
- "5h gala raises £1.7 mln", Raisa Gorbachev Foundation
- About the Foundation, Raisa Gorbachev Foundation website