F1 2011 (video game)
European PS3 box art
|Engine||EGO Engine 2.0|
|Distribution||Optical disc, download, memory card|
F1 2011 is a video game by Codemasters based on the 2011 Formula One season. It is the sequel to F1 2010 and was released in September 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, November 2011 on the Nintendo 3DS and February 2012 for the PlayStation Vita. The game uses the company's EGO Engine.
All twelve teams and twenty-four drivers that started the 2011 season are featured in the game, though mid-season driver changes did not take place due to licensing restrictions. The entire calendar of nineteen circuits from the 2011 season is present, including the new Buddh International Circuit in India. Certain circuits also feature day-to-night transitions.
At E3, Codemasters announced that the focus of F1 2011 is to "Be the Driver, Live the Life, Go Compete". and that multiplayer aspects of the game are being emphasized as a part of this. Online multiplayer have a maximum of sixteen players in a race with the option to include an additional eight AI-controlled cars. Objectives are also included in multiplayer. A split-screen multiplayer mode is implemented, as is an online co-operative championship. In August 2011, Codemasters announced that the safety car would be implemented in the game following its absence in F1 2010, and that it would be available in races that are 20% of real race distance or longer. Red flags are also included for situations where the safety car cannot get around the track, but not for extreme weather conditions. Rule changes for the 2011 season, including KERS, DRS and Pirelli tyres are also featured in the game.
Features of the game include a career mode in which you make yourself a driver and just simulate the driving experience. Another mode is the Grand Prix in which you pick a professional driver and create your own Formula 1 season. There is also a "Proving Grounds" mode in which is a time trial to compete against other players around the world. There is also a Multiplayer option in which you can race with other players in a variety of gaming modes.
Early critical response was positive, with reviews praised improvements in handling and AI and the way new rule changes - in particular KERS and DRS - added an additional layer of strategy to the game. IGN remarked that the differences in using these features helped separate qualifying and racing into two separate gameplay modes.
However, reviewers noted that the improved AI modelling made the game very difficult, and that it was faced by the same dilemma as other "annual" sports releases; namely, that the introduction of new rules and multiplayer features did little to change the core gameplay, and that at its heart, F1 2011 was essentially the same game as its predecessor.
- "F1 2011 gets September launch, NGP and 3DS versions confirmed". VG247. 24 March 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "F1 2011 Lines Up on 3DS on 25th November - 3DS News @ Nintendo Life". 3ds.nintendolife.com. 2011-11-02. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Bespoke handheld editions of F1 2011 are also in production". formula1-game.com. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- "F1 2011 set to be a PS Vita launch".
- Oli Welsh (22 September 2010). "Codemasters already working on F1 2011 News - - Page 1". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- 3ds-and-Sony Ngp-report.html "F1 2011 will also launch on 3DS and NGP: Report". Gamepur.com. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "F1 2011 release date announced, official boxart unveiled". Gamepur.com. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "F1 2011 to get Split Screen Mode". Gamepur.com. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- Andy says:. "F1 2011 Video Game Receives Official Release Date : Product Reviews Net". Product-reviews.net. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- Oli Welsh (17 August 2011). "F1 2011 gets safety car News - - Page 1". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 9 September 2011.
- "Gamescom: F1 2011 Interview - Part 2". allaboutgames.co.uk. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- CODEMASTER. GAME MODES - Career. Formula 1 2011 Gaming manual , p. 06.
- CODEMASTER. GAME MODES - Grand Prix. Formula 1 2011 Gaming manual , p. 06.
- CODEMASTER. GAME MODES - Proving Grounds. Formula 1 2011 Gaming manual , p. 06.
- CODEMASTER. GAME MODES - Multiplayer. Formula 1 2011 Gaming manual , p. 06.
- Play magazine review, issue 211, Imagine Publishing
- "F1 2011 Review - IGN". Au.ps3.ign.com. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Robinson, Martin (2011-09-16). "F1 2011 Review • Page • Reviews • Xbox 360 •". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "F1 2011". Gaming News. Blue Ripple Sound. 23 September 2011. Retrieved 21 November 2013.