Face to Face (1976 film)
|Face to Face|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Directed by||Ingmar Bergman|
|Produced by||Lars-Owe Carlberg|
|Written by||Ingmar Bergman|
|Release date||5 April 1976
28 April 1976
|Running time||114 minutes|
Face to Face (Swedish: Ansikte mot ansikte) is a 1976 Swedish psychological drama film written and directed by Ingmar Bergman. It tells the story of a psychiatrist who is suffering from a mental illness. It stars Liv Ullmann and Erland Josephson. The film was screened at the 1976 Cannes Film Festival, but was not entered into the main competition. The film was originally a mini-series on Swedish television with a running time of 200 minutes, and was edited down for the theatrical release.
Dr. Jenny Isaksson (Liv Ullmann) is a psychiatrist married to another psychiatrist; both are successful in their jobs but slowly, agonizingly, Jenny succumbs to a breakdown. She is haunted by images and emotions from her past and eventually cannot function, either as a wife, a doctor or as an individual.
Principal cast (in credits order) 
- Liv Ullmann – Dr. Jenny Isaksson
- Erland Josephson – Dr. Tomas Jacobi
- Aino Taube – The Grandmother
- Gunnar Björnstrand – The Grandfather
- Kristina Adolphson – Nurse Veronica
- Marianne Aminoff – Jenny's mother
- Gösta Ekman – Mikael Strömberg
- Helene Friberg – Anna, Jenny's daughter
- Ulf Johansson – Helmuth Wankel
- Sven Lindberg – Jenny's husband
- Jan-Erik Lindqvist (credited as Jan-Erik Lindqvist)
- Birger Malmsten – Rapist
- Sif Ruud – Elisabeth Wankel
- Göran Stangertz – Rapist
Rest of cast (in alphabetical order) 
- Lena Olin – Shop assistant
- Rebecca Pawlo – Shop assistant
- Gösta Prüzelius – Jenny's father
- Tore Segelcke – The woman
- Kari Sylwan – Mari
She was also named Best Actress by the New York Film Critics Circle Awards, the National Board of Review and the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, with the film winning Best Foreign Language Film at the latter.
It also was named by the Golden Globes as their Best Foreign Language Film of the year, with Ullmann also being nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama.
References in popular culture 
- "Festival de Cannes: Face to Face". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 10 May 2009.