Renata Vasconcellos and Tadeu Schmidt, hosts of Fantástico.
|Also known as||Fantástico —
O Show da Vida
|Created by||José Bonifácio de Oliveira Sobrinho|
|Directed by||Luiz Nascimento|
|Presented by||Renata Vasconcellos
|Narrated by||Cid Moreira
|Theme music composer||Guto Graça Melo|
|Country of origin||Brazil|
|No. of seasons||41|
|Running time||2 hours
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||August 5, 1973 – present|
Fantástico debuted on August 5, 1973 in black-and-white and began as a variety show featuring music, dance numbers, teletheater,[clarification needed] humorous sketches, and some news. The following year, it began transmission in color.
In 1988 the show began live broadcasts; in 1993 the format changed to a television newsmagazine.
Fantástico is an open-ended newscast with hosts introducing and reporting stories. Some segments include the work of other reporters: This typically happens when going live to a location.
Its hosts stand in front of a backdrop that changes according to the story presented. The hosts undertake original reporting and investigations led by national newspapers, sourcing typically from O Globo.
Topics for each show vary, some are political, some involve scandal, the environment, crime, science, health, sports, religion, international news, or a combination. Occasionally, stories develop into specials that span over a period of a few weeks. These stories are thematic, with hosts travelling the country to find their topic in Brazilian society. Past topics have included psychics, indigenous religions, São Paulo's crime wave[when?], and Afro-Brazilian tribal customs.
The opening had a traditional ballet, but in different seasons: In 1973, they had a style similar to the spectacle musical Pippin, the following years, a Moulin Rouge style. In the 1980s, the program was updated with 3D graphics, inserting a real-ballet,[clarification needed] with special costumes. In 1987, a contemporary ballet was performed in landscapes as varied as a lagoon mono lake, the landscapes of Turkey, Egypt, Scotland and United States. In the 1990s, all of the shows openings were made entirely in 3D, and then, the traditional ballet were replaced by simple vignettes. In 2010 the opening sequences were altered to run for 30 seconds.
The show has no fixed set of hosts. They have included:
- Pedro Bial (1996–2007)
- Glória Maria (1986–2007)
- Cid Moreira (1973–1988)
- William Bonner (1988–1993)
- Sérgio Chapelin (1973–1992)
- William Monteiro (1988–1993)
- Valéria Monteiro (1987–1992)
- Fátima Bernardes (1993–1996)
- Celso Freitas (1991–1996 and the special in 2003)
- Sandra Annenberg (1991–1996)
- Eva Byte (virtual hostess) (2004–2005)
- Patrícia Poeta (2008–2011)
- Zeca Camargo (2007–2013)
- Renata Ceribelli (2007-2013)
Ratings and recognition
Fantastico is the most watched show on Brazilian television on Sunday since its debut. While maintaining the lead, the ratings had a significant drop, as well as other programs of TV Globo. Since 2003, the program has lost about 55% of the public, losing 17 rating points.
A survey by TV Globo in 2012 pointed out that the program was watched by 13 million views, with 23 rating points, considering the national measurement Ibope, where a point is equivalent to 569 259 people.
Fantástico was nominated for Best Web Hit in the 2010 MTV Video Music Brazil, due to host Zeca Camargo being filmed yawning live when the show returned from commercials on June 6, 2010. The video of this incident was one of the most viewed on Internet in 2010. It lost however to the parody of Justin Bieber's "Baby", titled Justin Biba ("Little Gay Justin"), made by Galo Frito.
- "Cenógrafo Cyro Del Nero morre em São Paulo aos 78 anos". Folha de S. Paulo. 2010-07-31. Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- "Renata Vasconcellos se despede do Bom Dia Brasil após 11 anos". Bom Dia Brasil site on globo.com. 2013-09-30. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- Jornal: Renata Vasconcellos substitui Ceribelli no 'Fantástico'
- "Apresentadores anunciam no ar a troca de comando no Fantástico". Jornal Zero Hora. 2013-09-29. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- "Zeca Camargo vai comandar 'Vídeo Show' no lugar de André Marques". Jornal Zero Hora. 2013-09-29. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- "Renata Ceribelli também vai deixar o Fantástico". ClicRBS. 2013-09-29. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- "Renata Ceribelli e Zeca Camargo anunciam que deixarão 'Fantástico'". Terra. 2013-09-30. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- NaTelinha. "Fantástico" perde 17 pontos de audiência em 10 anos
- Blog do JJ - QUANTO VALE UM PONTO NO IBOPE? (2012)